HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:35:53 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: X-MEN GOLD  (Read 8878 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: April 07, 2017, 12:43:55 PM »

Lots of thoughts on this one and no, they are not all about Guggenheim's writing. Not all.
 Grin

I actually don't think I have time to go into all of the things I want to say, so I will not only be typing even faster than normal, and thus misspelling and using the wrong words, but I may do this in 2 or 3 rounds.
 Grin

First off, a very small ... problem I had - They actually had a panel showing "Prestige" (Rachael Grey's new name) putting on that little black half-circle, raccoon-mask thing that is on her face. Since I first saw it a few months ago I have never liked that damn thing, whatever it is ... a Unibrow mask? ... but I just assumed it was somthing that popped up when she transformed into her costume. The fact that she actually takes the time to paste that damn ridiculous thing on her face before going out into action? WTF? I understand the idea of a mask, to hide your identity, but THIS damn thing? REALLY?
STUPID!!!! Looks like she past out at a party and someone Sharpie'd her ass
 Cheesy

The art - Nothing bad here, really, but you are essentially resetting the X-Men and this is the art you choose to grab everyone's attention? Marvel has recently stated that art doesn't sell the title as much as the writing and I get what they mean, but jesus man, you have to have a killer start to this, not just a great Dynamite style artist. Again, not knocking the artist, Syaf, I didn't mind the look at all for the most part and would enjoy seeing him on this title later down the line, but at the start? The "lets kick the X-Men back to where they were when they were great" issue? No, get a bigger name on this.

The writing - Not the worst Guggenheim I have read, but still ... I am just not a Guggenheim fan. But still again ... Not bad enough to make me jump off the title ... yet!!!

The main problem I have? The thing that makes me say this is not the way you bring the X-Men back? They are dated.

What I mean by that is, by in-large, society ... by mass percentage ... in America, has become way too accepting of "differences". Oh sure you have the far, far right asses that think a black guy is a danger because he is black, that women deserve less pay for doing the same work and that allowing gay marriage will somehow ruin their 'normal' marriage, but for the most part, America has become a more civil tolerant place. A place where "mutant hate" just doesn't work for me any longer.

Not to spoil much, but there is a scene where some lady screams the old 'get outta here, mutie' type of rhetoric and it jsut comes off as dated now. I know, looking out in the world, that while there are certainly those that would say that, I now know that there would also be, on the other side of the street, a group telling that lady to shut the hell up. The Anti-Mutant crowds of the past just don't work now. Or at least in that scene it didn't. I am not saying the X-Men can't return to "hero" glory, but having the citizens of America cry against them now, even in small groups, just doesn't work for me.

The last page does have me excited about the next issue however, so that is good, and I did enjoy the issue forthe most part, but I am worried that I may finally have to just let the X go if Marvel pushes the old way too much. Or at least drop this title if Guggenheim does.
 Undecided

Issue #1
7 outta 10 - Sharpie markers
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 04:18:12 PM »

I agree with you that America is way more tolerant than in the past and that plot-line is way dated. That also brings up something that bothers me within the same topic. 

I'm tired of creators characterizing those who don't agree with their political or religious views as "the bad guy".  Talk about "intolerant".  I'm a conservative and I'm a christian.  i don't hate black people.  I don't hate gay people.  I don't hate women.  I know Perry wasn't talking about me specifically and his point was that there is a small group out there who are like that, but the truth is there are people on the left who hate black people, women, and LGBT people as well.  Yet it's always used as a way to shame the right.  (I don't mean you Perry - just taking your point to another level).

I just want to read good comics without being told I'm horrible person.  Which I'm not.  And neither are most of the people I know.  Not even Perry.   Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 07:20:30 PM »

Not even Perry.   Grin

Cheesy
Nice

Gotta say that Marvel is currently the king of making all conservatives seem like intolerant, bigoted asses and I don't agree with it, but sadly ... man, there is no way to say this without seeming like I am putting all conservatives in one barrel, but ... the loudest usually gets the attention and sadly, the loudest on the intolerant side towards people of color or people with 'different' sexual drives than their own are usually the ultra conservatives.

The thing is, you rarely see the conservative side of the aisle actually promoting any sort of change that would benefit those of color or gay people or whater. I am not knocking the normal conservative thinking people ... IE: Jeff  Smiley ... but conservatives are ... conservative, haha, change is not really a thing they embrace. So yeah, they get a bad rap a lot of the times.

I think "news for profit" isn't helping.

Liberals, far left liberals, watch that god awful MSNBC and its funny how  when I tell my step dad how bias and untrustworthy that station is as they twist everything to make their audience happy, even if it isn't true, he wholeheartedly agrees with me. And then when I tell him on the other side of that same spectrum thee is FOX doing the same thing, except for the other side, he gets all mad and says that isn't true.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Both of those stations need to be blown out of existence in my opinion. Its like what the great Ted Koppel told that horrible person Hannity when Hannity asked -
"Do you think I am bad for America?"
"Well, yes, Because you are really good at what you do [...] ... you have attracted people that have determined that ideology is more important than facts"
 Grin
and that is for MSNBC as well. Because yes, Liberals have their asses too, for sure
 Angry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 01:45:23 AM »

This is fun! To go from 'get outta here, mutie!' -which just screams lame and dated, to a bit political talk was interesting.

I know Perry isn't a fan of Spencer's protrayal, or protrayed Right wingers and ideologies in Sam Wilson Captain America. I guess I'm fine with it because they seem the easiest power group to villainize. Wink

There are many things that, well, I"ll say it like this- 'normal' conservatives say that, heck yeah, I agree with! I certain am more on the liberal side of things, but a good idea is a good idea-no matter WHAT person said it.

It's the Washington 'conservatives' who say one thing and lie in the same sentence that drive me crazy. Those ones, at the upper limits of power-THEY make me hate the conservative/far right/mangled Republican ideology.

So, to see them as villains in Captain America? Because Spencer is presenting a very visible far right mindset that is quite prevalent? Yeah, I got no problem with it. I have no more problem with that than thinking that all Russians were the best evil and bad guys in all action movies in the 80's -because, you know, Ruskies.  Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 09:52:07 PM »

Talk about getting political ?!?!?!?!?!

HOLY SHIT !!!!!

YOU MUST SEE THIS

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 11:55:03 PM »

Wow.  That's unbelievable.  I hope he was fired.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 02:23:58 PM »

They have said that action was taken ... we shall see.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 02:21:43 AM »

Fun to come back to this and read Perry's thoughts on the first issue as I just finished issues 1 & 2.

And yeah, that go away muties! rhetoric just seems to have no resonance-within the comics, at least.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 02:17:53 PM »

Issue 2

Mutant deportation?  Yeah I’m not sure I’m going to be able to read this.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 05:56:13 PM »

Guggenheim
 Roll Eyes

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 01:07:05 PM »

Issue 3.

Eh. Meh. Just feels like a 'typical' X-men story that does little to pull me in.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS