HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:04:31 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Super-Sons  (Read 5901 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: March 26, 2017, 03:56:15 PM »

Oh yeah, this is what else I bought!!

Super Sons #1

..I hate Damien. I mean, I've always been a Superman guy-meaning, if I was in their superheroic positions, I'd be Superman. Not Batman. I'd be Luke Skywalker, not Han Solo. I'd be Cyclops (Claremont era), not Wolverine. That's just how I roll as a person.

So, I hate Damien.

That's what will make it hard for me to like this book, or to always keep up with it. I think once Jon gets past his shellshock of who Damien is, and how he lives his life, I think that could go to making this a really good book.

But it's hard for me to get over Damien.

The only one who can hurt Damien, put him down, put him in his place, and make him know just how little of a person he is, and just show him how little he knows, is Batman.

Father.

And there's a scene in here which almost kills me, thinking about how Damien must feel after his conversation with Father.

Then he gets to see how Clark is with Jon. That must just each Damien up. So he lashes out. Makes Jon to feel pathetic and small.

Hmm...am I convincing myself that there could be a really great book here...if the writers follow how I think?

Maybe. They'll have their work cut out for them.

Because I hate Damien. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 02:14:40 PM »

I think, after reading this, that your hatred of Damien can actually work to help you enjoy this title.
 Smiley
Not that I didn't enjoy issue #1, or issue #2, I did, greatly, but I think the main reason, or one of, is due to the same, similar feeling for the character of Damien that you hold. While you hate the character Damien, I rather like the fact that I find Damien to be a punk asshole. A very similar feeling though nowhere as strong  Cheesy However, that ... distaste ... shall we say, really works well here with the contrast of Jon's character. Good cop / bad cop. Sweet and Sour.

With Jon, I think he is too sweet at times. Especially in Action Comics. I like him, don't get me wrong. But I like him for the exact opposite of the reason I like Damien. Now true, Jon is being shown to be more meek than strong with Damien so far, but you have to know that is heading towards a point of emphasis in their duo-ship soon. Oh yes, there will be a confrontation.  Grin Damien will soon learn that nice and caring is not the same as being a welcome mat. That just because you are sweet, you are not weak.

Yeah, I really liked the first two issues of this title. It really is like eating the perfect dessert. You get that real sweet and tasty flavor (Jon) tamed by the citric acid, the tough of vinegar, the bit of heat (Damien) to round it out.

8 outta 10 - Food Channel shows
 Grin
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 02:47:42 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 02:22:55 PM »

Man that sounds like a great dynamic with some rich built in drama.  I've got it in my wish list to get after some higher ranked books I have yet to buy.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 12:03:01 AM »

Second issue was much improved, or at least, I took it much better for having story threads develop. I'll read this a while. After all, I may be having a hole develop in my collecting with dropping Flash. Or Green Arrow.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 05:32:00 PM »

Still reading, and yes, still enjoying.

However, I am not just playing Super-homer here, but Jon really gets the short end of the stick here.

Damian is mean, and even cruel with how he talks and treats Jon. At some point, Jon, instead of playing the really good guy who sees the silver lining in everything, is simply going to walk away.

I still want to see more of Damian realizing his life is empty 'except for the mission' and that Jon really has it better.

Until then, this quote from issue 6 has me rolling with laughter:

'Damian's dad dresses like a bat and gets hit in the head 28 times every night. So maybe not the best argument'-Clark Kent, on how Bruce Wayne parents.  Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 01:49:42 AM »

So, all the issues, and quibbles that I've had with the book?

I think I'm won over. Now, I still am bugged all the hell by Damien...but is that the appeal? Ha, who knows! I do know that I will LOVE when he gets his, and I'm so looking forward to a huge hero moment for Jon.

Solidly on board with this title. No dropping this title in the near future for me.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 12:17:56 PM »

So, all the issues, and quibbles that I've had with the book?

I think I'm won over. Now, I still am bugged all the hell by Damien...but is that the appeal? Ha, who knows! I do know that I will LOVE when he gets his, and I'm so looking forward to a huge hero moment for Jon.

Solidly on board with this title. No dropping this title in the near future for me.

What issue are you up to?  (I still need to start)

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 01:41:19 AM »

I'm current up to issue ...8, I believe it's at. 7 for sure; but I can't remember if I held #8 in my hands to read yet. But I know I'm current.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS