HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:27:56 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader - February 22, 2017  (Read 5856 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: February 22, 2017, 03:59:05 PM »

New list!  This will take me more than a week but I already know that all of these are next up for me thanks to that Image sale a couple of weeks ago.

Marvel Unlimited
"Apocalypse War" X-Men Crossover
Extraordinary X-Men 8
Uncanny X-Men 6
Extraordinary X-Men 9
Uncanny X-Men 7
All New X-Men 9
Extraordinary X-Men 10
All New X-Men 10
Uncanny X-Men 8
Uncanny X-Men 9
Extraordinary X-Men 11
All New X-Men 11
Uncanny X-Men 10
Extraordinary X-Men 12

Comixology
The Black Monday Murders 1
The Black Monday Murders 2
The Black Monday Murders 3
The Black Monday Murders 4
Black Science 26
Descender 17
East of West 30
The Fix 7
Hadrian's Wall 3
Hadrian's Wall 4
Invincible 131
Invisible Republic 13
Kill or Be Killed 4
Magnus Robot Fighter (2014) 2
Magnus Robot Fighter (2014) 3
Magnus Robot Fighter (2014) 4
Magnus Robot Fighter (2014) 0
Mayday 1
Mayday 2
Reborn 2
Reborn 3
Saga 37
Saga 38
Saga 39
Saga 40
Seven to Eternity 3
Seven to Eternity 4
Southern Bastards 15
The Walking Dead 162
The Walking Dead 163
Quantum & Woody TPB Vol 2: In Security
RAI TPB Vol 2:  For New Japan

Trade Paperbacks
Sandman TPB Vol 1 - "Preludes and Nocturnes!"  - 50% done (4 of 8 issues) - Assuming I can find this since my wife "cleaned the room" and it has gone missing.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 10:44:29 PM »

Have fun with Apocalypse but just so you know, that "Apocalypse War" stuff is not really a crossover. It is just three individual Apocalypse stories going on at the same time through all three X books. You can read them out of order and in any order you wish as each title is a story in itself.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 01:18:17 AM »

Have fun with Apocalypse but just so you know, that "Apocalypse War" stuff is not really a crossover. It is just three individual Apocalypse stories going on at the same time through all three X books. You can read them out of order and in any order you wish as each title is a story in itself.
 Smiley

Well bummer.  Thanks for the heads up though. Good to know I can concentrate on each story if I choose.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 11:46:41 AM »

I have been trying to think if there was any connection to them. Like at the end each book the story tied in somehow, but damn if I can remember. I really do't think so, but maybe there is some small thing ... or heck, some large thing I just breezed right over
 Cheesy
I didn't concentrate too hard on the Extraordinary one as I was not really enjoying that book at the time so maybe I did miss something  Cheesy. I think I enjoyed the "All-New" one the best, though none of them were really great for me.
Hope you dig them all or at least find you enjoyed the time, however!!!
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »

They are not inter connected. I read 2 of the 3 and they didn't play into each other at all.just enjoy it straight through.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 07:42:51 PM »

Good progress this week!  I'm liking the Apocalypse stuff for the most part.

Marvel Unlimited
Extraordinary X-Men 8
Uncanny X-Men 6
Extraordinary X-Men 9
Uncanny X-Men 7
All New X-Men 9
Extraordinary X-Men 10
All New X-Men 10
Uncanny X-Men 8

Uncanny X-Men 9
Extraordinary X-Men 11
All New X-Men 11
Uncanny X-Men 10
Extraordinary X-Men 12

Comixology
Black Science 26
Descender 17
East of West 30
The Fix 7
Hadrian's Wall 3
Hadrian's Wall 4
Invincible 131

Invisible Republic 13
Kill or Be Killed 4
Mayday 1
Mayday 2
Reborn 2
Reborn 3
Saga 37
Saga 38
Saga 39
Saga 40
Seven to Eternity 3
Seven to Eternity 4
Southern Bastards 15
The Walking Dead 162
The Walking Dead 163
RAI TPB Vol 2:  For New Japan

Trade Paperbacks
Sandman TPB Vol 1 - "Preludes and Nocturnes!"  - 50% done (4 of 8 issues) - Assuming I can find this since my wife "cleaned the room" and it has gone missing.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 03:25:53 AM »

More progress!

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny X-Men 9
Extraordinary X-Men 11
All New X-Men 11
Uncanny X-Men 10
Extraordinary X-Men 12

Comixology
Invisible Republic 13
Kill or Be Killed 4

Mayday 1
Mayday 2
Reborn 2
Reborn 3

Saga 37
Saga 38
Saga 39
Saga 40
Seven to Eternity 3
Seven to Eternity 4
Southern Bastards 15
The Walking Dead 162
The Walking Dead 163

Trade Paperbacks

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 12:53:53 PM »

Well since you didn't volunteer the information  Wink Cheesy ... whad'ya think of those Apocalypse arcs?
EDIT - and come to think of it, how ya liking Reborn?

As for me, I am absolutely ripping through my comic reading this week.

Captain America #8 - a pretty cool 'alternate history' continuation.
Captain America #9 - Not a bad issue, but holy hell this was dialog heavy. I could have read at least 2 more titles had it not been for this one  Cheesy.

And yeppers, that is it.  Sad  
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 04:04:28 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 04:12:38 PM »

Well since you didn't volunteer the information  Wink Cheesy ... whad'ya think of those Apocalypse arcs?

You know - I'm really glad they kept them as three separate contained stories in each title.  I found all three enjoyable without a "Big Event" tainting them.  Even the Extraordinary X-Men (the weakest of the three) was decent.  They were three nice stories that I liked.

EDIT - and come to think of it, how ya liking Reborn?

I....like it, I think.  It's still a little confusing but as I move through each issue I find something new I like.  For example -
the cat villain being the reincarnation of a cat she once owned
, cracks me up.

I think by the end of the first arc I'll have a better sense of whether I want to keep going or just put it away as a one arc story.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 04:44:13 PM »

More progress!

Comixology

Mayday 1
Mayday 2
Saga 37
Saga 38
Saga 39
Saga 40
Seven to Eternity 3
Seven to Eternity 4
Southern Bastards 15

Trade Paperbacks
Sandman TPB Vol 1 - "Preludes and Nocturnes!"  - 50% done (4 of 8 issues) - Still haven't found where the wife put this.

Magnus Robot Fighter was a surprise find for me.  I had downloaded issue one ages ago as a freebie but never read it.  While reading RAI, I found out that RAI was originally a backup story in what must have been the original Magnus.  I opened this up to see if the RAI backup story was there but it was not.  But I did discover it was written by Fred Van Lente whose work in Archer & Armstrong and Bloodshot I love.  So I gave this a try and I really like it.  Issues 0 - 4 are free if your a Comixology Unlimited member (which I am).  The rest of this series runs $1.99 for each issue - the series is only 12 issues.  Definately getting the rest of this - big thumbs up from the Jeff.   Wink

Black Monday Murders - I'll come back to this after I finish all four issues.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 09:25:39 PM »

Black Monday Murders - I'll come back to this after I finish all four issues.

See ya in a month !!!  Cheesy
(And just for clarity, I am only saying the books are dense as hell)
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 04:06:10 PM »

I know I said I'd wait until I finished the Black Monday Murders but I just finished issue 2 and I CAN'T WAIT!

Wow.  What a fascinating series.  There are so many layers to this onion and Hickman does a phenomenal job of peeling it in just two issues.  I LOVE this story.  There is NO WAY this ends well for our protagonist! 

If you haven't started this - pick it up now!  So far - well worth any price!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 05:50:31 PM »

Wow, you're reading those "trades in comic form" pretty fast  Grin Are you reading it all or just the main story?
I didn't read any of the back matter of issue #1. I also thought it was going to be done after issue #4, and had plans on reading it in its entirety when #4 came out but then I heard there are more issues coming so I will wait until it's complete. Glad you like it that puppy. Be a shame to read all that and not like it.
 Smiley

EDIT - Got through a couple more Marvel issues -

Captain America #10
Mighty Thor #15
Uncanny Avengers #18
Uncanny Avengers #19
Unworthy Thor #4

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 06:09:41 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 04:56:30 PM »

Actually did really good on my list for the last week of Feb.  Black Monday Murders was definitely the highlight of what I read.  The remaining I'll roll over to next week.

Comixology

Mayday 1
Mayday 2
Saga 37
Saga 38
Saga 39
Saga 40
Seven to Eternity 3
Seven to Eternity 4
Southern Bastards 15

Trade Paperbacks
Sandman TPB Vol 1 - "Preludes and Nocturnes!"  - 50% done (4 of 8 issues) - Still haven't found where the wife put this.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS