HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:29:37 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader - February 15, 2017  (Read 3560 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: February 15, 2017, 08:12:22 PM »

Let's try this again....

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny X-Men 1
Uncanny X-Men 2
Uncanny X-Men 3
Uncanny X-Men 4
Uncanny X-Men 5
Old Man Logan 1
Old Man Logan 2
Old Man Logan 3
Old Man Logan 4
Old Man Logan 5
Old Man Logan 6
Old Man Logan 7

Comixology
Quantum & Woody TPB Vol 1: Th World's Worst Superhero Team

Trade Paperbacks
Sandman TPB Vol 1 - "Preludes and Nocturnes!"  - 50% done (4 of 8 issues)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 03:11:40 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 03:44:26 AM »

Progress!  Wasn't sure I'd like Uncanny X-Men after issue 1 but it gets better with every issue. I absolutely HATE Greg Land's rendition of Monet. It doesn't look like her at all.  Ugh.  But the story has pulled me in and I'm on this train for the foreseeable future.

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny X-Men 1
Uncanny X-Men 2
Uncanny X-Men 3
Uncanny X-Men 4
Uncanny X-Men 5

Old Man Logan 1
Old Man Logan 2
Old Man Logan 3
Old Man Logan 4
Old Man Logan 5
Old Man Logan 6
Old Man Logan 7

Comixology

Trade Paperbacks

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 12:33:36 PM »

Pretty slow going for me this week, lots of dog, daughter and wife stuff going on (and no, that list is not in any order. Certainly not getting my attention  Grin)

Flash #14
Flash #15
Flash #16
- Okay, I hung onto this title just for the Rogues arc and I read enough to get through three parts of said arc, but have no desire to read further. I like the "plan" Cold worked on and all, it is still just a dialog issue with me. Can't place why, it is just not feeling right. Everyone (or perhaps how it is presented) seems ... off. Think I will just go back one day and read John's run, which I still haven't read more than sporadically in the first place.
Wonder Woman #12
Wonder Woman #14
Wonder Woman #16
- Yes, reading just the odd issues for now. The constant going back and forth was getting a tad ... not confusing, just ... I don't know. I tried to think of it as two seperate titles but that didn't work to ease my ... whatever this feeling is. Yep, just going to read the even numbers until the "year one" arc is done and then switch back over to the current day, odd numbered issues. Still a great book though. Just a personal thing with the way it shifts.

Karnak #6 - Finally caught up on this late as hell book. I understand the artist had some personal stuff, but still ... it really ruined the flow. Probably reads very well in a trade.
Darth Maul #1 - It was ... okay. Another title (like Han Solo) that I think I will get back to later, after it's done and I have time.
Hahahaha
time?
Hahaha

Green Valley #5 - Wow, I hear ya Jimbo!!! Not happy about this issue at all. The way they "escaped and trapped" the ***** for one thing was totally Sunday Morning Cartoon like and the Wizard stuff is going to a place that ... well ... yeah. However, I am not too worried yet about that, ha, well, let me just say "one of the knights". I think he is fine even though it looked bad (though I could be wrong for sure as the past indicates no-one is safe). Still, I hope this turns back around. Really enjoyed the first 3 ... maybe 4 issues, so hopeful.
Back Issue #53 - Finally knocked this great issue out. From Simonson's Thor to Bob Layton's Hercules, to New Gods to Moondragon to Beta Ray to Moorcock's Elric. Lots of good stuff. Now onto Issue #68, a spotlight on the Legion of Super-Heroes !!!!! HELLS YEAH !!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 04:28:03 PM »

Ok - so I now get what Perry has been saying.  I didn't dislike Extraordinary X-Men like Perry did probably because I hadn't read Old Man Logan yet but now I get it.  Does seem to be written as two different characters and this (Old Man Logan) is the much better version.  GREAT COMIC by the way.  Love the way Lemire worked Kate Hawkeye into the story.  Just fun stuff there.  I'll be caught up with this one by the end of the day, no doubt.

Marvel Unlimited
Old Man Logan 1
Old Man Logan 2
Old Man Logan 3
Old Man Logan 4

Old Man Logan 5
Old Man Logan 6
Old Man Logan 7

Comixology

Trade Paperbacks

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 03:44:32 AM »

Yeah, holy crap I've been reading the last 11 days

Deadpool (1997) 51-68, Agent X 1-7, 13-15
Punisher (2001) 1-8, 13-25 (Ennis wasn't writing there in the middle)

**these two I'll enumerate more on later in the MU,Inc, threads**

Strange (2001 mini series by JMS) HOLY SHIT THIS WAS AWFUL!!! I could barely finish first issue. Went 2 pages into the second and said not for me. Tried to do a newer origin for the good Doctor and failed miserably. But the movie copied all their stupid magic weapon lightsaber stuff

---
Black Panther 5 - okay. Just okay

Daredevil  10 - Glad to see Ron Garney back. Glad to be reading the title. Not amazing or stunning like Waid was able to do to me last volume, but still good

Amazing Spider-man 16 - okay the Jackal is here? Did I miss an issue or a tie-in? I still find super CEO Peter Parker to be written like a cartoon. You don't spend the utter millions he does without having your company fall apart. They don't make that much money.

Old Man Logan 10 - still really enjoying the Lemire/Sorrentino team up here!

All New X-men 12 - Did not like. Dumb issue. Trying to fix a relationship here, which was very stupidly set up.

Avengers: Ultron Forever - a 3 parter that ran through Avengers issues drawn by Alan Davis? LOVED IT. A mini version of 'Avengers Forever' where heroes are plucked from certain points in time specifically for the character they were then to fight Ultron. LOVED. IT. Wink

Luke Cage, Hero for Hire (1972) 4-6 - a very cool character from the get go.

Mighty Thor 10 -awesome Jason Aaron. Just awesome

Power Man & iron Fist 7 - great dynamic writing by Walker. So very good.

Spider-woman 10 - Damn you Carol!!

Uncanny Avengers 12 - Very good Avengers arc. Wish the ending was a bit different

All New Wolverine 11 - but damn this issue pissed me off. Damn dictators!!

Captain America Sam Wilson 12 - omg I love
John Walker
appearances in all forms

Ultimates 10 - f*** YOU Carol!!!

Vision 10 - SO SO SO love you!!!

Darth Vader 24 -damned awesome. DAMNED awesome. 'You don't know the power of the Force.' !!!!

Spider-man 2099 13 -really Ulysses is going to poke his head in here, too? Ugh

I think my DC stuff will have to wait for another post...Jimmy need sleepy...

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 03:48:37 AM »

Wow Jimmy!  You are a reading machine!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 03:52:36 AM »

Finished next arc of Old Man Logan, one of my new favorite books.

Marvel Unlimited
Old Man Logan 5
Old Man Logan 6
Old Man Logan 7

Comixology

Trade Paperbacks
Sandman TPB Vol 1 - "Preludes and Nocturnes!"  - 50% done (4 of 8 issues) - so the wife cleaned out the magazine rack in reading room and now this is missing.  Angry
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 04:19:06 AM by Jeff » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 04:38:02 PM »

Wow Jimmy!  You are a reading machine!

In my spare time, and when i decided it,  i made it an emphasis to read. I just wanted to! However, I'm now 3 weeks behind on 5 hour long shows, Smiley

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS