HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:20:32 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: RAI  (Read 8825 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

RAI
« on: February 09, 2017, 04:16:18 PM »

Vol 1 Welcome to New Japan; Collecting issues 1-4

Wow!  I should have been picking this up from the second it started.  Great story, characters, and art.  The look of this future world is amazing and a true credit to Clayton Crain as the artist.  Matt Kindt delivers was well with a murder mystery that takes RAI to unexpected discoveries about his own true origin.  Supporting characters Lula and Spylocke are a lot fun to read also.  And as usual with Valiant, we're not sure who is the villain or which side RAI should be on.  Great start and it will be easy for me to read through the next volumes to get caught up.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 11:23:17 PM »

Cool! I didn't have any burning interest or desire to go and pick this up...but now you got me interested. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 02:35:28 PM »

The art is really incredible. One day I will dive in. Even though I have been saying that for years now.
 Cheesy

Plus, as it is now a closed series, it should inspire me as I know I can catch up to the ending if I start.  Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 12:07:10 PM »

As ... I don't want to say disappointing, so ... as much as I have not enjoyed the most recent Rai/Eternal Warrior mini, I am really excited for THIS return of Rai.
I have always enjoyed the eye candy that is Ryp's art and even though Abnett's writing is hitting on about a 50% average for my enjoyment lever ever since he and Lanning split, I do still like the character and hope this will return Rai to glory

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 01:49:00 PM »

He really needs to shave.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 11:33:29 PM »

So some of us were just talking about pronunciation of characters and I know that I have said in the past the the Valiant character's name Rai is pronounced like the grain "Rye". I know this to be the case as I heard one of the old creators say that and I did my own Indian/Japanese pronunciation quest on the name.

However there is a part in Rai issue #6 that I now question ... everything. It made me question what I had heard and what I had originally discovered all those years ago, so I went and did another dig at the name and it seems, maybe ... I don't know ... that the "American" pronunciation could be "Ray". I don't see how you can Americanize it, but, yeah ... just all kinds of confused now.

Maybe what I just saw in this issue didn't mean what it I thought? possible as I stopped reading precisely when I saw it and went searching again, but dang it ... I don't know now.

Anyway ... HERE is a list of how it is said across the globe in Indonesia, India, Brazil  (Click the little grey areas above the youtube red stuff for faster play) and I still stand by it being like RYE, but ... yeah ... I'm really confused now?? But maybe for no reason ... I got to finish the book
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 12:18:55 AM »

If it really is pronounced "Ray" could that mean he is really Bloodshot in the far future and just doesn't remember?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 10:43:48 AM »

Very well could be!!!! Cool idea

Didn't think about that.

I am scared about Valiant though as I see, according to their calendar, they only have a total of 7 issues coming out from now until December and three of those are Ria.
 Undecided
Two more Bloodshot issues
One more issue of Doctor Tomorrow ... next week
And one XO issue ... issue #2 ... finally? But not until November 25th? When did that first issue hit again?
 Cry
They never had delays before, and I know these are strange times, Covid hit publishers hard, but the first issue of the new XO dropped in March damn it. 8 months for issue 2 is not the Valiant way.
 Undecided

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS