HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 02:10:45 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader - February 8, 2017  (Read 4691 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: February 08, 2017, 03:11:02 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny X-Men 1
Uncanny X-Men 2
Uncanny X-Men 3
Uncanny X-Men 4
Uncanny X-Men 5
Old Man Logan 1
Old Man Logan 2
Old Man Logan 3
Old Man Logan 4
Old Man Logan 5
Old Man Logan 6
Old Man Logan 7

Comixology
Rai    TPB Vol. 1: Welcome To New Japan
Quantum & Woody TPB Vol 1: Th World's Worst Superhero Team

Trade Paperbacks
Sandman TPB Vol 1 - "Preludes and Nocturnes!"  - 50% done (4 of 8 issues) - I know this is supposed to be the gold standard of comics but I'm finding it really really hard to get through.   Sad
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:13:00 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 04:05:28 PM »

Sandman TPB Vol 1 - "Preludes and Nocturnes!"  - 50% done (4 of 8 issues) - I know this is supposed to be the gold standard of comics but I'm finding it really really hard to get through.   Sad

You are not alone. I was not a fan of the first part of this, but it does get so much better. Nothing that will keep you up reading well into the night  Grin, at least not for me  Undecided, but it does get better.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 08:14:10 PM »

Sandman TPB Vol 1 - "Preludes and Nocturnes!"  - 50% done (4 of 8 issues) - I know this is supposed to be the gold standard of comics but I'm finding it really really hard to get through.   Sad

You are not alone. I was not a fan of the first part of this, but it does get so much better. Nothing that will keep you up reading well into the night  Grin, at least not for me  Undecided, but it does get better.

Ok, I'll push through then.  I have like the first 5 or 6 trades that have been sitting on my shelf for about five years now.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 02:06:04 AM »

Yeah, but what a finish to Sandman. Loved that!! The middle to end did seem disjointed and/or incoherent to me too, at the time.

But! I read!

Power Man & Iron Fist #5 - HOT DAMN. What a great issue! The one with the hot dog vendor! Loved it to death!! awesome great fun read!!!!

Dr. Strange The Oath #2 - Still BKV. Still good reading.

Luke Cage, Hero for Hire d#1 (1972) - so, lots of over exposition, but I really enjoyed the quick, encapsulated origin issue, and how Carl Lucas changed into this man, Luke Cage. Cool to see the first Stryker Diamond back costume, and how cool it was that the show did so well with it!!

Dr. Strange & Doom: Triumph & Torment - the one where Strange became Sorceror Supreme and they go Doom's mother's soul out of hell. Damn, Roger Stern, awesome the way you pulled the tables down in hell. Brilliant move there, Doom!!

Moon Knight #5 - Heh. So damned crazy. I love it!

Uncanny Avengers #11 - and they fight some more. To be continued with more fighting next issue! But Hank Pym kind of has a point.

Doctor Strange 10 - the end of 'last days of magic.' Very disappointing. I played the fail sound from ''The Price is Right' in my head from how this clunker just stopped. What up, Aaron? C'mon!! ...because...

Mighty Thor #9- because this awesome! Because it's Thor! What up, man?! Loving this epic being crafted here. Is Aaron also writing the Unworthy Thor? or whatever that book is called...

Old Man Logan #9 - setting up and building towards more. I enjoy

International Iron Man #5 - oh boy, hitting the big finale soon! And glad to see twerpy tweenie twenty-something Tony get puss verbally smacked. You shallow little pissant. Wink

Star Wars #21 - heh. Cool stormtrooper saga issue!!!

Batman v10 'Epilogue' -definitely an epilogue. The Snyder/Capullo issues were all I needed. I could have just bougth the two of them and sleeved them to put on the shelf with the other 9 volumes. But, it's not really a big deal I bought a 2 issue trade with 3 extras of issues in it. Still glad I got it. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 01:15:50 PM »

Luke Cage, Hero for Hire #2 -the climatic battle with Diamondback! Truly enjoyed it. Not nearly as empty blackspoiltation as I thought this would be.

Dr. Strange: The Oath 3-5 -a great mini. Love watching the pompous Doctor just trounce simpletons in his path. A great Sophie's choice in the end as well.

Punisher (2000) 'Welcome back, Frank' -this is what returned the Punisher to the MU after being an angel killer, or whatever. I remembered just hating the idea of this work. The dark comedy of it was something I just couldn't wrap my head around at the time. I didn't believe it was good writing; it was schlock and in your face shock. Now? Well, I decided to add it in to read of Steve Dillon's work, cuz I really enjoy watching him stylize his faces. My opinions now? I enjoyed reading it. A bit more heart to this Frank, as well, but the almost silly nature of the violence, and the gratuitious violence for fun still seemed a bit off putting, but I have no soap box to stand on, or much opinions to spew forth to try to change peoples' minds. In the end, I'm glad I read it. Now, I'll hit the next volume, the MK Punisher run by the same team.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 02:09:50 PM »

Slow start this week -

Flintstones #8 - Just an amazing book. Is this issue the best of the bunch? No, but still a worthy read. This week we get a tinge of humorous financial appropriation (spend funds to increase the defense by buying better armor for the dinosaur tanks or help support the children's school  Cheesy) and a very close to factual look at just how badly men rely on women. Sadly only 4 issues remain of this title, but I look forward to them all as well as Mark Russel's next title in the line - Snagglepuss !!!!!
(EDIT - I forgot that Steve Pugh won't be continuing over to draw the new title, it will be Howard Porter!)

Mighty Thor #272
Mighty Thor #273 - yep, went back and read a couple issues of the older stuff. I had planned to read this for a couple weeks as I thought it was important to the Eternals/Asgardians massive story-line coming up, but ... eh, not really (a couple panels or so, but nothing really important). Also hate the way Tom Palmer inks my John Buscema pencils. It is not just ... sketchy but thick line sketchy. Yuk. Not the best read for me. Time to change my avatar as the image is 273's cover and I will be moving on with slight disappointment  Undecided

Aliens: Defiance #9 - A very, very fast read, but an essential piece to this 12 issue story. This could easily be the next Aliens movie if they decided to make one. Well, unless the current Prometheus movie they are working on kills all this.
 Cheesy

Kill or Be Killed #5 - Speaking of "kill", man, this book. Is this a look into a mad man's brain or is this a demon producing killing spree? Love this book and love how Bru is setting the timing of the issues in (as he even states) Medias Res  Smiley. Also just shocked, when seeing the last few pages that featured all the issues this creative team has worked on. Kill or be Killed, Fade Out, Fatale and all those Criminal books. Man. But of course I still like Velvet (w/Epting) best of all)  Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 02:13:44 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 03:18:15 AM »

Luke Cage, Hero...#3 -cool to see Luke do some right consciencable things!!

MK Punisher #1-2 (2001) and the run begins. the Russian returns. Has the 'team up' with Spidey. I do see a lot of familiar beats here, however, with Ennis' writing that goes through most of his satirical violent work (think of The Boys)

Star Wars: Shattered Empire 1-4. A neat little read. Nothing brilliant, but Luke was really bad ass, and Leia had some great Leia moments, so I enjoyed my time reading.

Power Man & Iron Fist #5- Civil War II tie-in. Really decent and good at that. I'm looking forward, much further ahead for me, with David Walker writing a Luke Cage book

Uncanny X-men 11 -well, this was mostly garbage, I thought. Blech.

Deathstroke 11 - oh yeah, AWESOME issue. I love a thoughtful social commenatary that Priest makes resonate here. And the Creeper up against Slade? Too cool!!

Flash 15- the beginning of Rogues Reloaded. Joshua Williamson...you have me intrigued, sir.

Green Valley #5 - of the books I bought this week, I HAD to read this first. I enjoy it...but I'm disappointed that it's not what I was hoping it would completely be.

OH, and I looked at Reborn (Image) on the shelves at the store...Okay, I may look for this on comixology then. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 12:10:35 PM »

Power Man & Iron Fist #5- Civil War II tie-in. Really decent and good at that. I'm looking forward, much further ahead for me, with David Walker writing a Luke Cage book

Is Walker's Nighthawk up there yet?

I had no idea who this "Vampire" dude is (some 90's guy?) but me no likey. I stopped reading most of the x books shortly after this.

Green Valley #5 - of the books I bought this week, I HAD to read this first. I enjoy it...but I'm disappointed that it's not what I was hoping it would completely be.

Oh damn it. I haven't read it yet but that doesn't sound good.

OH, and I looked at Reborn (Image) on the shelves at the store...Okay, I may look for this on comixology then. Wink

Good luck. The idea is cool, the art is (obviously) cool, the world (universe) is cool. However, the pacing ... this books needs to be a 60 issue series, yet it is trying to cram all those issues into just 6 issues and man is it killing this book for me. There is no time to get to know anyone, other than the main character, who at first was fun to route for, but now, thanks to no time spent on the other side of the coin, her antagonist, she is just a boring "hero's journey" stand-in.
Plus, is there any doubt at all who she will face at the end? Don't get me wrong, I hope not, but after four issues, it is just setting up to be another paint by numbers Millar book, paced way to fast, with really sweet art.
 Undecided

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 01:38:18 PM »

Not that I've seen...or recollected. If it was, I may have skipped it, in fear of it due to that Hyperion mini.  Sad

I had no idea who this "Vampire" dude is (some 90's guy?) but me no likey. I stopped reading most of the x books shortly after this.

Yeah, I recall that M had some kind of mutant brother, but...ugh, bad 90s stuff here. And day-um, you quit just after this stuff? Hmm...now that makes me curious going forward...

OH no; not a slight. I was just wanting a pure swords 'n' sorcery kind of book...and this is not that. I still wish to read! It's just not what I thought it would be after having read the first issue.

Good luck. The idea is cool, the art is (obviously) cool, the world (universe) is cool. However, the pacing ... this books needs to be a 60 issue series, yet it is trying to cram all those issues into just 6 issues and man is it killing this book for me. There is no time to get to know anyone, other than the main character, who at first was fun to route for, but now, thanks to no time spent on the other side of the coin, her antagonist, she is just a boring "hero's journey" stand-in.
Plus, is there any doubt at all who she will face at the end? Don't get me wrong, I hope not, but after four issues, it is just setting up to be another paint by numbers Millar book, paced way to fast, with really sweet art.
 Undecided
UH, yah, I guess that's what I was seeing too!!! Cheesy

Maybe with so much stuff bought lately, I won't be going after this. After all, I have 6 trades of awesome Hickman writing to go through!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 11:45:39 AM »

Not that I've seen...or recollected. If it was, I may have skipped it, in fear of it due to that Hyperion mini.  Sad

Oh yeah, that would scare anyone.  Grin Totally different, luckily. Certainly a more harsh book, heck bleak even, but more a Batman on a mission than Superman as a crying trucker.
 Cheesy

Yeah, I recall that M had some kind of mutant brother, but...ugh, bad 90s stuff here. And day-um, you quit just after this stuff? Hmm...now that makes me curious going forward...

I just got ... well, knowing this is all coming to an end anyway and having so much more to read, I just thought I would start again fresh when the new stuff hits. The stuff that is suppose to bring us back closer to the X-Men I enjoyed as a kid, or at least bring us back to what the 90's age group enjoyed (which may make me jump right back off  Cheesy)

OH no; not a slight. I was just wanting a pure swords 'n' sorcery kind of book...and this is not that. I still wish to read! It's just not what I thought it would be after having read the first issue.

I got ya. I still haven't read it, but I take it the "Wizard" is not just a one time event or battle and things return back to being pure fantasy? No need to answer that as I will read it today hopefully and will see more clearly your thoughts.
 Smiley

Undecided
UH, yah, I guess that's what I was seeing too!!! Cheesy

Maybe with so much stuff bought lately, I won't be going after this. After all, I have 6 trades of awesome Hickman writing to go through!!!

Ha. Well honestly, you may indeed like this. It is high fantasy. But it is also just a really poor paced book. So for you that may not be an issue at all and you could just kick back and enjoy the aspects that are there. I hate to say avoid this as it does have its fans (I think Jeff enjoys it well enough in-fact) so maybe it is just me. Has been the case many times before
 Smiley

EDIT - Forgot why I came here  Grin knocked out a whopping 4 more comics.  Cheesy

Aquaman #15
Aquaman #16 - I love the way Brad Walker draws Arthur's scale shirt. It is more craggy, rocky than his usual shirt armor with over-lapping plates (think Captain America's chain-mail. His shirt could easily be Ben Grimm's hide. Aquaman killed and skinned the Thing?
 Cheesy

Khaal #2 - As cool a start issue #1 was for me with this mini, issue #2 was the opposite. Just a little too much "WTF" and confusion (at least for me  Grin). Maybe I was just too tired. Gonna wait until this 4 issues mini is complete and try again down the road. It does have some great art, however.

Red Sonja #2 - Just because. I read issues #0 and #1 on a whim, so I thought I would try issue #2. It is your typical Dynamite Publishing fare with more pretty glaze on the outside than it has robust flavor or savory appeal on the inside. Still, even though I am done, I had fun, in a way.

Also read more of Back Issue #53 and after reading pieces on Simonson's Thor and the character Moondragon (oh yeah, MOONDRAGON!!!) I was reading another article, talking about Bob Layton's "Hercules: Prince of Power" mini's from Sept. 1982. The article opens up with a quote by Bob Layton from Comics Scene #3 (also in 1982) when he said -
"Go up to someone on the street and say 'X-Men' and they don't know what you're talking about. But say 'Hercules' and everyone has an automatic, basic understanding of this muscular hero from mythology ...."

The times they have a'changed  Grin
Man, do you think that statement is even close to being true today? And hey, if it is indeed not true today and instead is the opposite, if the X-Men are now more well known to the average person than that figure of myth that is Hercules, isn't that both fantastic and very, very sad?
 Undecided
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:36:44 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 08:11:12 PM »

Well, at least I finished one TPB!

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny X-Men 1
Uncanny X-Men 2
Uncanny X-Men 3
Uncanny X-Men 4
Uncanny X-Men 5
Old Man Logan 1
Old Man Logan 2
Old Man Logan 3
Old Man Logan 4
Old Man Logan 5
Old Man Logan 6
Old Man Logan 7

Comixology
Rai    TPB Vol. 1: Welcome To New Japan
Quantum & Woody TPB Vol 1: Th World's Worst Superhero Team

Trade Paperbacks
Sandman TPB Vol 1 - "Preludes and Nocturnes!"  - 50% done (4 of 8 issues)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS