HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:58:34 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader-February 1st, 2017  (Read 4828 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: February 02, 2017, 02:20:49 AM »

I read--

Spider-woman 9 - gawd, I'm really starting to hate Carol Danvers

Moon Knight 4 - I like me a crazy Moonie, but is this going a bit far?

God of War 2- finish my Hercules story, dammit!!

TAHulk 8 - very cool, sweet issue. I bet the fit is going to hit the shan next issue tho!

Invincible Iron Man 11 - Tony really believes he's smarter than everything. Ha

Amazing Spider-man 15 -how a norm like MJ isn't killed in the first 3 seconds versus Regent is beyond me. Shell- and Web-head go up against him and get wiped, but suddenly MJ filling in for Peter and they can go a few rounds? Just dumm. D U M M

Black Panther 3 - know how I said I was liking the growth the book was developing? I felt it less so here

Captain America, Sam Wilson 11 - HA! I loved it when
USAgent showed up at the end! I love the fact hat that guy is continually working!! No, I'm digging Spencer's work here.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 02:28:29 AM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 03:05:17 AM »

Starting off this week with two down. Just hoping it's not the only two.....

Marvel Unlimited
Squadron Supreme 3
Squadron Supreme 4
Squadron Supreme 5
Squadron Supreme 6

Squadron Supreme 7
Squadron Supreme 8
Extraordinary X-Men 4
Extraordinary X-Men 5
Extraordinary X-Men 6
Extraordinary X-Men 7

Comixology
The Delinquents    #3
The Delinquents    #4
Rai    TPB Vol. 1: Welcome To New Japan

Trade Paperbacks
Sandman TPB Vol 1 - "Preludes and Nocturnes!"  - 50% done (4 of 8 issues)

EDIT:  Finished two more last night.  Might actually get through the list this week.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 04:24:56 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 12:58:00 PM »

Moon Knight 4 - I like me a crazy Moonie, but is this going a bit far?

You better jump off that title now then.  Cheesy It gets waaay crazier.  Wink

God of War 2- finish my Hercules story, dammit!

I stayed until the very end, even though, in the long run, it ended up being a story I will quickly forget.  Undecided Sadly, as I love me some Herc

Amazing Spider-man 15 -how a norm like MJ isn't killed in the first 3 seconds versus Regent is beyond me. Shell- and Web-head go up against him and get wiped, but suddenly MJ filling in for Peter and they can go a few rounds? Just dumm. D U M M

Yep, Yep, Yep
 Cheesy

EDIT:  Finished two more last night.  Might actually get through the list this week.

You could save yourself some time and skip that Extraordinar(ily lack luster  Wink) X-Men stuff  Grin

What I have knocked down this week so far, now with spacing for comments (like Jimmy  Wink)
I am now starting my push to get current on DC, especially Superman. Never, ever, ever, never thought I would see myself express that thought.
 Cheesy

Monsters Unleashed #1 - THIS book is what Marvel needs. In their effort to pull-in younger readers, this is the book that could help make that happen. If I was a young teen, this title AND it's tie-ins, would be the milk on my cereal. Now saying that ... I will not be reading any further. I am off the title as of now as this is just not for me or at least not really what I want to read right now, but this book is great, fantastic even, for those that just love some super powered "BANG POW". This could easily be someones Contest of Champions or Secret Wars (the original of course). It just has that feel to it. Plus they are going to make a series off of this staring the main kid in this, so ... yeah, a worthy "event" (at least so far)

Avengers: Monsters Unleashed #1 - A good tie-in for the event

Mighty Thor #13 - Another good issue though I am not the biggest fan of the design of one particular ... antagonist without the art styling of a certain Simonson. He just makes this weird costume (or the similar one) look better with his style.

Thanos #3 - One of my favorite artist is Deodato. Some people don't like him and I get why. I however love his shading, love his portrait style backgrounds (even with their repetitiveness). Add in the Sh'iar Imperial Guard (Marvel's Legion of SuperHeroes ... which I love) and the villain of the year (Thanos) and you got me hooked. Even though the one major plot point that I have issues with has yet to be answered. I mean, how is .... Oh ... ARRGGHHH ... I wish you guys were current!!! (Or I was 6 months behind  Wink Grin)

Justice League of America: Killer Frost #1 - While the first three of these one-shots, featuring the new members of the new JLA comic (coming soon) were pretty fun and I enjoyed them, this one lays the proverbial egg. Just not a winner for me.

Trinity #5 - *sigh* Man I wish DC would just help me out and do one of two things. Either start your damn DC Unlimited Digital Comics Service (please) or, at the very least, start giving us a damn recap of the damn story so far on the first page of your damn monthly books, damn it. I am old and I read a lot of books. I can't remember what happened a month ago in your books. I start reading, I feel lost, and then slowly it starts hitting; I start remembering, I start recognizing. But now I have read a good portion of you book not fully enjoying the damn thing. Just give me a damn recap summery you bastards!  Angry Angry Yeah, Yeah, Marvel sucks, blah, blah, but they at least give me a damn recap page in every single one of their books, you asses  Angry Angry Angry

*Ahem*  Grin Cheesy

Redhood & the Outlaws #6 - A good conclusion to the first arc. I enjoyed this a lot more than I ever imagined I would have. The art by Dexter Soy sure hasn't hurt.

Superman #13 - I finally got the end of the Frankenstien arc. Yea!!! Plus, even though it has been more than a month since this issue came out, I was even able to get right back into this story thanks to the writing of Tomasi/Gleason and the way they scripted the first page or so. Just think if DC had a recap, they could use that space to ... Okay, I'm done.  Cheesy This was a nice end to the two part story and I hope to see that villain, and a little more about him, in another book sometime later, though I think he may have just been a throw-away  Undecided Still a pleasant read and I am excited to start the Multiplicity Supermen story now!!!!!!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 12:59:55 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 09:52:09 PM »

Power Man & Iron Fist 3-5  - still digging it, as the feel good feelings from the show keep me going. I know I've always heard how good a team and friends they are, but I've never really read it, so I hope to get to know more of it here.

Old Man Logan 8 - what a damned weird book. A man from a far flung future is talking with the girl that could potentially be the woman he loved when he was young. Damned weird conversation!! Also, I'd just like to bring up how much I hate this Jean Grey, who feels she can enter any one's mind at any time 'cuz its hard not to hear them.' Screw her.

AN X-men 11- what a weak ass ending. I was liking it up to that end point.

Daredevil 9 -glad to see Spidey do some figuring it out and put some ill feelings to DD's sin and hubris.

Astonishing Ant-man 10 - oh, I'm starting to see an ending here. A better issue than the last.

Darth Vader 23 -no need to not say that I don't just love these issues

Spider-man 6  -Very good reading. I think I'm getting to a place where I can really like Miles Morales as another Spider-man in the world. But, I'll say this; DC used (okay, still does  Cheesy ) have confusing errata about who their characters are and why they are there. Consider this world that used to just have Bishop and Cable around...now we've got all these others to talk about!!

Squadron Supreme 9 --okay, my honest to goodness last issue. It was the last one available on Unlimited with the 6 month gap. Nothing to see here to make me want to enjoy it any further.

Uncanny X-men 10  -damn, Archangel stories are always awesome!! Now I want to go back and reread all my X-force/IUncanny X-force from DnA and Remender

All-New Wolverine-slowly becoming/wait, no, has become a favorite read of mine. Watching young people come into their own and establish a place where they can make happiness appeals to me, apparently.

Ultimates 9-  I love that I was surprised about the outcome of the Macronaut. Why didn't I see that? Cool book.

Strange (2009) an issue from a mini series by Mark Waid involving demons and a contract with baseball. Damned awful issue. Not finishing this mini series.

Dr. Strange; The Oath #1 - BKV does great stories. So far, this looks to be no exception at all.

Black Panther 4 - And I'm a bit more on board this series...I think. Just makes me want to reread more Priest BP!!

Totally Awesome Hulk 9 - Heh. I'm totally on board this book. "Do you think you could actually stop me?" LOVE IT

Captain America: Steve Rogers 3 - explanations continue to be forthcoming. I'm fine following!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 11:11:12 AM »

Power Man & Iron Fist ... I know I've always heard how good a team and friends they are, but I've never really read it, so I hope to get to know more of it here.

DUDE !!!! Stop right now and go add the Power Man & Iron Fist issues from the ... early 80's(?). Especially the 15 or so Kerry Gammil run inside issues #61-79 (Mary Jo Duffy wrote most if not all). Heck, even the earlier ones are fun, but that Gammil run is when, if I remember right (which admittedly has very slim chance of being correct  Grin) their friendship really blossomed for me. The later stuff is cool also. Great stuff from Denny O'neil/Mary Jo Duffy and Denys Cowan, Kurt Busiek and Ernie Chan (or Chua as he was sometimes credited).
Heck just add everything from Power Man #48 on up. You can't go wrong!!!
 Wink

Update for me:

Superman #'s 14, 15 and 16 - This was ... pretty good. I am not, nor ever will be a fan of Nix Uotan and all of that part of Multiplicity/Morrisonity  Grin, but this is a cool little story with a conflict I need to see more of. And what they did to
Captain Carrot??
Horrible!!
 Grin

Hal & GLC #10 - Once again,
Hal's back!
. A "nothing really happened" issues, other than the spoiler and a reveal at the end of the issue, but it was still an okay read.
This next spoiler, like the one above, is not really a story spoiler as much as a character that is in the book spoiler (Hey, you may not want to know who is involved, right?) and if you know who was responsible for the past issues problems with the corp, then you already know this  Cheesy, but I am loving the current look/design of
Brainiac
. Just looks cool. Gonna try and knock out the next three issues next.

And on another note. It sure is easier to read DC in this manner; reading a bunch of issues in a row. Easier for me to remember what is going on, not having the recap page.
 Cheesy
Sure, all books read better this way, in a group or collected (and some year, way in the future, they all will be) but I really need to do this with DC just for my own enjoyment. And that's cool.

Smiley

Edit - Just checked to make sure MU had any of the older PM&IF issues and they at least have a few. Sadly it only goes from Power Man #48 to Power Man & IF #89
But at least they have that issue #75. The issue that got me back in the series and into comics again, really. I dropped comics for a couple years due to ... well ... life back then. But then one day, at Peoples (an old drug store) ... and yes I still remember where I was when I saw it ... I saw on the spinner rack that amazing cover to Power Man & Iron Fist #75. Read that darn thing about 5 times that week and went right out and got as many of the issues I had missed that I could and spent the next year slowly getting back into comics fully. That issue is very special to me. So much so that I have never read it since. I am so scared it no longer holds up or holds the amazing power it had over me at one time in my life. One day, when I am officially over comics  Cheesy I hope to read that issue again.
Or at least I hope I can hold out that long as now I am thinking about it again ...
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 11:29:54 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 03:11:09 PM »

Ok...one more down?  Lol.

Marvel Unlimited
Squadron Supreme 7
Squadron Supreme 8
Extraordinary X-Men 4
Extraordinary X-Men 5
Extraordinary X-Men 6
Extraordinary X-Men 7

Comixology
The Delinquents    #3
The Delinquents    #4

Trade Paperbacks

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 01:43:11 AM »

To finish this off:

Imperium vol 3 -I believe in Toyo Harada Grin
Birthright vol 4 -what a great revelation and manner in which to leave the continuing story! Wowza!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 12:24:50 PM »

Also to add to my list for the week -

Hal Jordan & the GLC # 11
Hal Jordan & the GLC # 12
Hal Jordan & the GLC # 13

A close to the current arc and a one shot story featuring a grandmother telling her grandchild a story of the Lanterns

Rise and Fall of Captain Atom #2

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 02:59:45 PM »

Finished off pretty good for a change.

Marvel Unlimited
Squadron Supreme 7
Squadron Supreme 8
Extraordinary X-Men 4
Extraordinary X-Men 5
Extraordinary X-Men 6
Extraordinary X-Men 7

Comixology
The Delinquents    #3
The Delinquents    #4

Trade Paperbacks

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS