HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:04:38 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Captain America: New World Order premieres in theaters February 14, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DC returning to $3.99?  (Read 6220 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 15, 2017, 05:35:32 PM »

Looks like DC will return all their monthly books back to $3.99 status soon.

Looks like my reading ability will suffer some due to it as well, as I know my reading is somewhat determined by what I am allowed to read from friends. If they don't buy, I don't read usually.

Man, this sucks as I was really hoping that the industry would return to everyone, every pulisher being $2.99 again. But no, just look at the top selling comics? People are buying all of Marvel's and DC's $5 and $6 books like it was nothing. When will enough be enough? When will the fans finally realize that the cost they are charging is way too much?

I am at another of those "Screw comics" times a year I seem to have once every two years, or twice every year it seems now, but what really kills me is people are still buying these damn digital comics, no physical copy, for FULL DAMN PRICE!!! That is why Marvel has decided to stop giving their digital issues away free with purchase (and have gone to a stupid get a "classical digital issue" crap) and why DC has stopped giving discounts on their digital comics after a couple weeks. They realized people would still pay the full price if you don't give them an option. Why give a customer a chance to wait and get it cheaper when they have shown they will pay $4 for ... nothing!! Just for the right to read your damn comic.

Is it time for me just to say @!#$ it and just say goodbye to DC and join MU? Time to just use the library as my only way to read DC? I doubt it. But can that time be far away? I kinda doubt that also.
 Angry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 05:40:35 PM »

It's clearly the way the industry is going. People like the convenience of getting that comic right now.  I had a guy win one of my eBay auctions and he just wanted me to send him the digital codes (which had expired). Then he was frustrated that I mailed them media mail, which is what he paid for, because it would take a week to get.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 06:11:46 PM »

It's clearly the way the industry is going. People like the convenience of getting that comic right now. 

Oh absolutely. And I love it. But the fact that you pay the same price for something you can never hold just still amazes me to no end. It baffles me. And I am not suggesting that companies only sell digital for $1 an issue (although with MU it is even cheaper than that) and I will damn sure buy 100 digital comics for 99 cents a pop  Grin but I will spend $99 that way long before I would ever pay $6 for a digital comic book.
 Smiley

I had a guy win one of my eBay auctions and he just wanted me to send him the digital codes (which had expired). Then he was frustrated that I mailed them media mail, which is what he paid for, because it would take a week to get.

DUDE!! yeah, as much as that sucks that is funny as hell.  Cheesy Cheesy Did he grade ya poorly too like an ass or have you got to that point yet?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 09:13:34 PM »

Cheesy. He should have received it 5 days ago.  No feedback yet.  And likely won't get any.  Lol

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 03:21:37 AM »

Well, I knew it wouldn't it last.

I'll still do what I do-judge by how much I want to spend on books in total. If they keep up with publishing everything twice a month that they are now, then Action and Superman purchases will push out Titans. I probably drop Flash as I can't imagine enjoying it that much more with spending $2 more on it in a month.

I'll wait for digital trade sales on books I kind of like, but maybe won't get in the regular publishing frame as well. Or, I'll buy a title's trade 3 months after initial publishing date only, and I won't be helping the title's monthly bottom line either.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 04:50:28 AM »

... I probably drop Flash as I can't imagine enjoying it that much more with spending $2 more on it in a month.

I think it is just the monthly books that are increasing, so Flash would be safe.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 11:45:16 AM »

And I am already getting the list of dropped titles that I will no longer be able to read due to the DC $3.99 Monthly book hike.

I was on-off-on-off on Batgirl (both Birds and solo) but both of those titles are being slapped with a 'dropped' label now that they are $4.

Cyborg is off the list also. But ... yeah ... I don't care  Grin

New Super-Man, one of my favorites is on the list, though I am going to try and convince otherwise.

Teen Titans is cut

Red-Hood may be gone, but not sure. Yea?!?!? I've been digging that book.

Titans is gone. I will have to wait and read issue #7 to see how I feel about that.

Trinity seems to be another book off the list and I'm not sure how I feel about that after the last issue. (wasn't great)

I don't have any information on any other DC monthlies as of yet so I guess they are not on the pull list to begin with? Ether way I know the new Justice League of America will be on the list, I am hoping Batwoman at least gets a shot (as I want to at least try it) and I am sure Super Sons will be a go so that is good.

And this is not a rant on DC raising prices. Not this time. Lord knows Marvel is king when it comes to costly comics. This is just about what I may or may not have access to after the price increase takes effect. I can still hit the LCS and read ... some, but it is a pain for me to get there and heck, it is easier just having the issues in front of me.

I do wonder if this is a "we can't afford to publish comics at $2.99" thing or a "Marvel is still beating us on total monthly money (due in no small part to the constant over-shipping of comics and their bullshit variant cover crap) so let's raise ours to beat them" thing. Either way I guess it helps me get my reading under control a tad.

Man I just wish DC would do a damn Unlimited thing!!!!!
 Embarrassed

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 02:23:26 AM »

And DC just slapped Marvel right across the face.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Just days after Marvel tells us that they will no longer include the digital copy when you buy the physical copy (giving out some "classic comic" bullcrap you get already if you are on MU) and DC telling us they are increasing their price to $3.99 for their monthly comics, DC has now informed us that the digital code will be included with that new $3.99 price. So now every time you buy a DC $3.99 comic you get both the physical and the digital. Essentially what Marvel had, and was stupid enough to stop, DC has picked up and ran with it.

Good for you DC.  Smiley

I hope you get all the praise for this and Marvel stings from that slap for a long time.

(Now hopefully DC Unlimited is just around the corner?)
 Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 02:30:29 AM »

I just read this as well. There's almost a part of me that thinks I'll use the digital codes and get me some comics to store. I mean, the Marvel ones expired if you didn't use them; I wonder if DC's will also do the same? Because I can't sell my books fast enough, or in a timely manner, so I  might as well use them, right?

But yeah, what a big hit back. Get '2 classic MU digital books.' Pfft. Whatever to that!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 12:15:43 PM »

I just read this as well. There's almost a part of me that thinks I'll use the digital codes and get me some comics to store. I mean, the Marvel ones expired if you didn't use them; I wonder if DC's will also do the same? Because I can't sell my books fast enough, or in a timely manner, so I  might as well use them, right?

Sounds like a plan to me.  Smiley

Or you could also sell the codes on Ebay for $1 each. I was amazed that they allowed that, but when I looked, awhile back, tons of digital codes for sale and they were selling too. Not sure if they (Ebay) still allows that as, again, I was shocked they allowed it in the first place, with no real physical product trading hands and all that.

But yeah, what a big hit back. Get '2 classic MU digital books.' Pfft. Whatever to that!!

Exactly. And no matter how many comics you buy you get the same choice of comics? So if you buy two or three comics, you can get the codes for two or three DIFFERENT, older Marvel comics ... OF MARVEL'S CHOICE FOR THAT MONTH ... but if you buy ten Marvel comics you still only get the codes for two or three old Marvel comics? WTF?

And the fact DC did this, just swooped in, reminds me of the way Marvel tricked them back in ... I believe it was 1971 when Marvel raised their price from 15¢ to 25¢ and increased page count (to 56 pages, I think) for one month only but made it sound like that is the way they were going to stay when they leaked that to DC somehow.

DC, after hearing of this new format, immediately made plans to match them. Setting things in motion for Marvel to switch right back to 15¢ the next month. Then promoting how less expensive their comics are while DC remained at 25¢
 Cheesy Cheesy

I may be wrong on some of that, but if you read (or like me, listen) to that Untold History of Marvel Comics you will see all about this kinda stuff.

I just feel that is what DC did here. I think they found out or they just did it on spur of the moment ... either way, I think they got over on Marvel here and I love it.  Cheesy Even if the general public does not like it (I am seeing all kinds of "boos" for DC online ... which I just don't understand) I think it is a great move by DC. There is no way they were going to stay at $2.99 monthly, not when people are still buying $5 and $6 dollar comics with "ease", so this is just smart as hell.

I still say
 "Good job, DC!"
 Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS