HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 02:00:40 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: THANOS  (Read 8139 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 18, 2016, 01:41:44 PM »

Well, not really a "Marvel HEROES Solo Book", but ...
 Grin

Thanos Issue #1

Ohhhhh, this is going to be good. Pure set-up, but the characters we see in this issue, some recently spotted and some I have not seen in a good days age, make this a very intriguing issue.

Jeff Lemire? Okay, yeah, I'm all over that guy's writing
Mike Deadato? Ha, like there is any doubt.
Thanos? Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner!!!!

8 outta 10 -Galactic Heavyweights
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 08:29:48 PM »

Awesome!  I was hoping this was going to be good!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 10:44:46 PM »

Yeah, this has better potential than the Aaron mini. At least so far.

Undecided

Not that Aaron's was "bad" I just wanted a little something different.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 11:40:03 PM »

If there is any other character that I hold a strict bible of interpretation to, it's Thanos

(along with Adam Warlock, Captain Mar-Vell (Kree versions, thank you very much), and duh, Superman Wink )

So...I'm truly curious if this can be good!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 01:02:07 PM »

If there is any other character that I hold a strict bible of interpretation to, it's Thanos

You may not like this then.  Grin Just kidding. I only say that because of one thing ... one thing that has yet to be explained, but is still there non-the-less that makes me scratch my head a little. As of now, I have been able to thoroughly enjoy both issues, but I am still confused about a major point in this series. That said ...

Issue #2

I finally found why I am digging this so much. Ha, aside from the two obvious points being the writer and artist  Grin

This book reads like the old Abnett and Lanning Guardians of the Galaxy. That is what this feels like. So strong. Plus, as I was suspecting, this is going to bring around a lot of potential answers to a lot of questions regarding some arc from the past starring other people that I won't say until people start to read this.
 Cheesy Cheesy
Got that?
 Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Anyway, take the time, put your feelings of confusions aside after you read issue one (Jimmy  Wink) and enjoy what could be the greatest adventure Marvel has put to paper in a long time. At least since Hickman left. Though this also has the feel of leading up to another "Event", which makes sense as how long can a Thanos book truly last without being part of a larger story, it still has a strong taste that makes it a worthy read each month.

Also, that makes me think of something I will post in Thor ...

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 09:09:31 PM »

If I didn't have to say it, I loved the first issue. Can't wait to continue reading this!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 12:13:54 PM »

I think issue #10 is Lemire's last issue and I also think that is about as long as I would want or need a Thanos book to last. Of course I am still enjoying the hell out of it, but yeah, some things need a natural end and I think this story is/should be one of those things.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 02:14:12 AM »

Still only at issue 6. 4 to go yet before commenting!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 12:45:46 PM »

This book reads like the old Abnett and Lanning Guardians of the Galaxy. That is what this feels like. So strong.

Man you are so right with this statement.  I love that he brought in random cosmic characters and made them fun to read. Starfox, Terrax, even Thane.

The addition of
the Phoenix force
ramps up the cosmic meter as well.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 01:43:53 PM »

I think issue #10 is Lemire's last issue and I also think that is about as long as I would want or need a Thanos book to last.

Okay, I change my mind.  Cheesy Now that I know Donny Cates is coming on, taking over the writing duties, I think I will be more than happy for this title to continue. If his (Cates) other books are any indication, I will be loving his take on Thanos (and his Dr. Strange as well)

And yeah Jeff, I love the use of c and d listers. Use that library of characters!!
 Grin
And the only thing I fear with the Phoenix Force use is its ... overuse. I do like it here, you are right, it was a well done plot devise
(the egg and all)
, but it is beginning to get to the point where eery damn book I read has it in there someway, in some form, even if just a reference. I get it, Marvel. You have a "Resurrection of the Phoenix" mini coming up (which I, and I am sure so many others are eagerly awaiting  Roll Eyes) but can we not have every single book mention or show this thing? In fact, I am not even sure if my spoiler use was for the right book. Was that in Thanos or was that in
Guardians
? Or both? I don't know, which proves my point, yeah? (well it proves my memory is shite at least)
 Cheesy

Also agreeing with Jimmy, though I am not sure where I read his feelings on the matter, but I also am not a fan of Thane. Just not a good character. Not one of Hickman's best to say the least (although maybe it was an editorial forced action and he wrote around that?) I like his drive, just not a fan of his. That may not make sense. Shockingly.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS