HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:14:32 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Animosity  (Read 4344 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 06, 2016, 02:48:41 PM »

Okay, why is this series getting so much attention? I have to ask. I just read the first three issues of this title and ... yeah, I don't get it.
I mean issue #1 is going on it's 5th printing or some such. Are they only printing 5 copies at a time?

Look, it was okay, but really, and no offense to the creators nor the people that love this, it is not a great book at all. I wouldn't buy it for even $1.99. Issue #3 was the only issue that had any "meat" to the story. The first two issues are just ... an idea on paper more than anything.

I don't know. Maybe all the women buyers that Marvel is trying to get bought all the issues?  Cheesy Okay, yes a bad sexist joke, but I just don't get the love.

4 outta 10 - head scratches
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 03:33:39 AM »

Yeah that is weird. Seems like it's getting a lot of buzz.  I knew a guy in college who wanted the gang to go see a particular movie.  He kept saying "All the previews say it's great!"  It was so bad I don't even remember what it was.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 12:05:21 PM »

I knew a guy in college who wanted the gang to go see a particular movie.  He kept saying "All the previews say it's great!"  It was so bad I don't even remember what it was.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Now that IS bad.

Truthfully Animosity isn't horrible. It isn't even really bad, over all. The third issue actually made it somewhat tight and interesting, but that first issue? Man, it was nothing more than a lay-out in panel form. It was scattered as hell and no emotional push at all, which I know is hard in a first issue with people ... and animals  Wink that you have never met, but give me something. The second issue, to me, was more of the same. A little more in-depth, but essentially nothing there but a ... well, not gonna ruin anything ... it just didn't grab me.

But see, the thing that bugged me, no, I shouldn't say that, the thing that confuses me is all the feelings of awe and praise people are bestowing on this title.  I just don't get it. The title is nothing that I would call crap, and heck I even graded it a four, which is just below an average comic for me, but you would think by peoples reactions that this was a game changer. This was Walking Dead or Saga or Champions  Wink

So hey, if you want to try it, I am not going to tell you that you shouldn't. You may enjoy it. Others seem to. Greatly.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 01:47:36 AM »

ComiXology has the first three issues on sale today for $1.99 each.  Should I try them at that price?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 02:38:21 PM »

Maybe?

I hate to not give you an answer here, my man, but a lot of people are really digging this book and I ... well ... I was not one of them. The first issue is "okay", but I am shocked it went to "reprint" as many times as it did. I know the print run is pretty small for that company, but still, that many times? Like 5 or 6 reprints? No, I just don't get it.

The second issue was a tad better, but still nothing that equals the amount of praise this gets. Not in my eyes anyway.

The third issue was also better than that, so I guess it is improving, but still nothing I would spend $2 on.

So that is why I can't tell you or suggest to you either way with this book.

I personally just don't see what the big deal is about this book. It isn't like it is close to WE3 or anything. Not even close. It is just ... an okay book about ... spoiler tagging this in-case you don't know the gist of the title ... it is just about  
animals gaining the ability to think like a human.
and that could be cool, but to me, it is just ... meh

That said, there are tons of people that seem to like this. Are they mostly women readers? I don't know. HAHA. Okay, sorry for that sexist thinking, but a lot of women do tend to like a certain style of writing more than some men do. The "voice" is just different with a female writer SOMETIMES. Not all the times, but sometimes. I can pick up a novel and 9 times out of 10 can tell if the writer is female. Again, it is just a different "voice". And please note that I never said "all the time" or that that voice has any "less" value than a man's writing ... It is sometimes just different. Sometimes it is different AND better, sometimes it is different and not for me and sometimes I can't tell the difference. Now that I have tried to cover my butt here ... HAHAHA ... as I was saying ... maybe that is the case with me here, having a female writer. But maybe it isn't.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Yeah, I'm no help
(and may have hurt myself more than anything)
 Cheesy

EDIT - Okay, under that spoiler I may have gave the wrong impression ... it isn't JUST that. There is a story here. So please don't get me wrong. It is a story that could be very cool in-fact, but, again, just not for me.
 Undecided
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 02:40:52 PM by Perry » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS