HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:47:19 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Supergirl Season 2  (Read 14118 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 07:16:05 PM »

Ep 6 'Changing'

Everything I said or felt about the last ep just gets turned on it's head.

DAMNED fine episode. I knew Chyler Leigh (Alex) could act since Grey's Anatomy. This role has never asked her to do that yet. Until this ep with her coming out. What an amazing written arc for the character in this episode. Maggie's reaction, and also the (presumably) correct thing to push her away as Alex figures out what this all means, then the break down in tears with "She doesn't like me!" was heart wrenching. I was stunned, positively stunned, by how the writers did something with such merit, honesty, and truth in feelings. I know it was really heavily pushed that Alex was going to be gay, but in the manner of the rollout and understanding for the character herself, I can only coo about what a great job they did.

The rest of the ep was good too.I really dug the visual of Parasite! There's a hope that the matter that was Rudy Jones isn't purely gone, but once it gets a bit more energy, perhaps it will reconstitute! Always gotta have a good rogues' gallery.

I love, LOVED how Winn took it to James at the DEO (by the way, James can come and go as he pleases in this gov't agency. He must have the 'He's cool; don't worry' card. Wink

But Winn going after James, and setting him in his place was EXCELLENT. "I'M TELLING YOU, YOU GO OUT THERE RIGHT NOW, YOU DIE. YOU'RE DEAD. DO YOU GET THAT? THE SUITS READY WHEN I SAY IT'S READY." Damned awesome moment. Winn really became, well, a man to me here. Not a bit character, but a man of conviction and promise. 'Who are you to boss me around <James>? You're not my boss; you don't command me. We're in my area now."

However...that gets a bit scratched later by having him fall in line with James to get him out on the street. Blah. I'd have been happier to simply see James leave the show like Cat Grant in the first few eps.

Looking forward to an eventual suited up Mon-El!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 08:42:23 PM »

Ep 7 'The Darkest Place'

Damn fine episode. This show is finally at a place where the built up continuity and relationships really stack up with each other, and the subplots can write themselves and sustain the show. The other events that happen are just icing on the cake.

Usually.

I love how James is so damned smug about Guardian then gets his ass put in place. Ugh, I can't stand this character! LOL

Great to see Dean Cain make an appearance. Huzzah!!

Great stuff with Harewood this ep. His great green Martian stuff, stuff with him and M'gnn is great stuff. Really enjoying this. CGI is particularly good as well. AND he gets to be Cyborg Superman? LOL what a comic booky way to announce who you are. HA! Now I want to see him in another suit as well ala C.S. himself. Wink

And, Alex and Maggie are doing some fantastic stuff here. Great writing here. Very great.

Really enjoying where the show is now. So very very good.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 11:45:45 AM »

Ep 8 'Medusa'

Being billed as the first of a 4 parter was a lie! Flash and Cisco show up like Doc Brown at the end of Back to the Future and say she has to come with them! That's it! Rip off!! :p

It's a rather pat episode. Issues or problems that have been our subplots the past 3-5 eps are all cleared up here. That doesn't make it bad, it just makes it seem a bit like the end of a cartoon.

J'onn's white martian infection happened to get cured also when the non-virus was released.

Mon-El's contagion was cured (but that would have happened for sure, what with the infection being this episode).

Alex and Maggie get together (which, actually, was one of the strongest parts of the ep. Watching Alex grow, particularly with her mother was really good stuff).

Hell, I even love the simmerling 'love lost' eyes that Mon gave Supergirl as she walked away from him at the end of the ep as he hid his feelings from her.

Thankfully, no Guardian. Wink

I can't remember if this is the first half gap or break for the show, but it feels really tied up for the moment!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2016, 03:35:07 PM »

Can't believe I watched that entire damn "crossover" episode to get that.
 Angry Angry Angry

The CW pulled a "Marvel tie-in" on me

Angry Angry Angry

May have hung around for more Supergirl, but ... okay, no that is not true.  Cheesy I can barely watch the Flash at an enjoyment level I am comfortable with, I can't do this.

Honestly, yes, I'm mad they got me, but the show was not bad. Just not for me.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 04:27:51 PM »

Every other CW show had a mid-season finale. Did Supergirl?
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 01:12:31 AM »

I laugh, because of how much I hate James Olson. He hasn't been in the last 3 episodes since before or after the Mxy ep!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2017, 05:39:07 PM »

Forgot to finish off my TV reviewing with Supergirl.

I'm greatly disappointed in this season. I feel there were 7 truly good and great eps-and they were the 5 with Superman and the ones with Alex coming out.

Beyond that, the show did an incredible misstep in making James Olsen Guardian. Why do I feel that? Because in the final 8 eps of the season, he was only in 3. And he was mostly left behind after act 2 and his whole Guardian shtick taking off. I didn't like the character, I didn't like him being made CatCo's boss, and I didn't like his bullshit whining about why he had to be a vigilante and why everyone should help him.

This show is almost insanely hampered by the amount of computer magic needed to keep it run. Oh, the other shows need it too-it's a hallmark for the Flash (big superscience show), it's overused in Arrow (because it keeps Felicity involved, but I feel it's also hurt the show), and funny enough, the Time Travel show of Legends doesn't even use it that much once they are out and on their missions!!

At least giving Winn a job with the DEO made sense, because it was bullshit to have him at CatCo.

Also, I hate the DEO. It's just...a very weak element to me, and I just don't believe it in it as portrayed. It's a back up to the show, but it doesn't help hold it up. LIke, all the stuff with Jeremiah and Luthor mother in the middle of the season was weak and bland tasting sauce. No good!!

The stuff with Mon El I was fine with, and actually the rising climax action and results with the Daxamites was pretty good.

Also, I feel that aside from the good eps, this show really took too many steps back with the 'oh supergirl watch out its dangerous, oh no she's falling, please wake up!!' And people continually telling her not to do some act, or go some place because they are worried about her.

SHE'S THE GOD-D***ED SUPERGIRL!!!

She goes where she wants!!

I love how the show shined around every moment that Cat Grant was on screen. Miss her so much, and I know she won't be back, and that's a hurtful thing. Snapper Carr is a replacment for her, but he doesn't resonate on a fatherly level to Kara the way that Cat did. And that is seriously missing.

So what will the show do? Just hang around mission control table in the DEO and fly out to do stuff? Supergirl excels when it's Kara being human, being loving, being caring. I don't need everyone staring at a bank of computer screens-there's already way too much of that boring stuff in Flash and Arrow.

Jimmy T since 2001
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 06:37:18 PM »

Seriously, this show, in the first act, gets everything right about Clark and Superman that the new movies directions have failed so utterly at. If anything, they are opposite sides of the same coin. Cavill may as well be Bizarro to Hoechlin's Superman!

Completely agree.  Brilliant characterization.  A modern Superman who likes being Superman.  That good ol' "aw shucks, ma'am" Midwestern farmboy who saves the day with a grin and a wink.  Love it.

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 06:41:12 PM »

So what will the show do? Just hang around mission control table in the DEO and fly out to do stuff? Supergirl excels when it's Kara being human, being loving, being caring. I don't need everyone staring at a bank of computer screens-there's already way too much of that boring stuff in Flash and Arrow.

Also agreed.  TV's Arrowverse has way too many "Oracles."  To borrow a term from the new Spidey movie, why does every hero need a "guy in the chair"?

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS