HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:35:57 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ultimates  (Read 6085 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 27, 2016, 06:38:00 PM »

Issues 1 - 5

Blue Marvel - Captain Marvel - Ms America - Spectrum - Black Panther

Not a team I would have expected to be interested in but this tale is what the Guardians of the Galaxy should be.  Big cosmic stories at the end of the universe.

And Galactus - like you've never seen him before.

This easily has become one of my favorite of the post Secret Wars titles.  Right up there with the Vision.

10 out of 10 Lifebringers

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 12:30:26 PM »

10 out of 10 Lifebringers

Grin

Man, I am shocked. I can't believe you had to start this thread.  Cheesy As much yakking as I have done about this team ... I guess it was all in the Weekly Reader section? Or ... Hell, I just hope it wasn't a dream
 Cheesy

I almost agree with you 100%. I love this book for its scope. I thought
the Galactus Problem arc was fantastic, and the result made me both mad (at first) and extremely happy a few minutes later, after I had given it some unemotional, reflective thought. And I only made that a spoiler after Jeff's quote
Wink

The one thing I wish for was more use of Ms. America. I think her power set, with the transport ability, is really cool, but oh well. I also wasn't a hardcore fan of Blue Marvel as I thought his villain, in his limited run, was not the greatest. And of course here recently I am hating on Ms. Marvel as her ideals are just stupid the way Bendis and others are writing her.

Even with all that, I really enjoy this book. Now sadly, Rockafort is now gone and the new artist on the soon to be reset issue #1 is going to be Travel Foreman (whom I have both enjoyed and hated) so I am not sure where I will stand on this series soon, I still have enjoyed this title greatly.

That said, I truly only disagree that it is as great as Vision  Wink (Of course the Vision was not part of the Civil War bullshit so it had that in its favor)

But Hell, if it hit you as being as good or as great as the Vision, that is pretty damn sweet. It is a hell of a book.
 Smiley

EDIT - Forgot to include the part of your quote I wanted to include. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:20:09 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 04:54:19 PM »

And it looks like we are going to get the good Travel foreman.

Oh Yes, THIS looks good

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 07:33:44 PM »

oooOooOooOOoooo....good Travel Foreman! Soo cool!!!

Yup, hate the title to keep the 'Ultimates' moniker around, but this is the book, yessir!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 12:00:40 AM »

The last two issues have not been the best, but ... again, dealing with stupid Carol and the way she has to be written now is not the best thing to deal with either.

Yeah, I hope this picks back up with the relaunch as the last two have just not been as fun as the first 9 or 10  Undecided

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 12:44:45 AM »

The Ultimates II #7
Shocked Angry

And on the heels of talking about how Marvel is dropping the ball, artist wise ... HOLY HELL !!! This issue was baaaad looking. Plus, coming off issue #6, when I just get use to Travel Foreman's art again, they go and throw this guy into the deep end of the pool when he is obviously not ready to draw comics. He just isn't. Sorry. But no. Horrible art work. Dreadful. And he gets another issue as he is coming back for Ultimates #8 as well.

Sad thing was, even though this was a tie-in, it seemed like a good tie-in, story wise, but that art. Dear lord my eyes!!!!

Great story, horrible art. So much so that it killed everything. I also took another point from this issue because I know this artist is coming back for the next. Yeah, he's so bad his future work spoils current stuff

3 outta 10 - "If you can draw fast you can be a Marvel artist ... I guess" statements 
Angry
Just ... to quote Trump ... Really, really, really bad

Shame on you Marvel. Shame!!!!!
Angry

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 01:40:23 PM »

Obviously, I just got to read #1 on Unlimited (6months back Wink, and I'm still really onboard with this concept.

I could do without having Carol on the team, but whatevs!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS