HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:48:51 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader - September 28, 2016  (Read 14044 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2016, 03:37:26 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
All New, All Different Avengers 1
All New, All Different Avengers 2
All New, All Different Avengers 3
All New, All Different Avengers 4
All New, All Different Avengers 5
All New, All Different Avengers 6

ComiXology
Justice League 3001 6
Justice League 3001 7
Justice League 3001 8
Justice League 3001 9
Justice League 3001 10
Justice League 3001 11
Justice League 3001 12
Nemo: Heart of Ice TPB

Trade Paper Backs
Book of Death - The Fall of the Valiant Universe TPB - 3/4 done

Went ahead and read ANAD Avengers and.....glad I did.  I actually wound up liking this. And by all that is holy, I shouldn't have.  For example I don't like the new Ms Marvel nor Sam as Captain America.  But her purpose here works and helps to make Nova and Miles Spidey more fun.  Is it a top tier book? No but it's not awful and I can see potential.  Maybe Perry successfully lowered my expectations to a point where this was able to surpass my expectations. Or it could be that the other two Avengers titles were just so bad that it made this look good.  Or maybe it's legitimately a good book on its own.  Time will tell and for now it's staying on the list.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2016, 04:44:59 PM »

Flash #5, 7
Teen Titans (pre-Rebirth) #24
Teen Titans Rebirth #1
Titans #3
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2016, 05:53:42 PM »

Titans #3[/color] - I think I am about done with this. Booth and his constant slanted panels and the story is just okay. Maybe on a slow week I will catch up?

Not even Wally can save it eh?

He's the main focus, but with this panel art, that is pleasant at first as a nice change ... back when he was doing it in Flash, is just getting frustrating to look at, page after page, issue after issue of the same angle panels in the same location. Yes, you could say the same about most 6 panel layouts, but they are not trying to be "jazzy" (or whatever Booth's idea for doing them can be). It is just hard to look at after 60 times in a row  Undecided.

Add in the story of Kadabra not being the best, and it is just ... eh, I don't know. I mean I get why Abbnett chose this villain (connection to Flash and all) but as the Titan's first bad guy? Again, I understand it is important to show-case Wally for a few, but meh. I actually think those panels are what is killing my enjoyment of this villain too.

But DC is just putting out much better titles out right now that I would rather spend my time on first, is all.  I am sure I will be back to this title soon, but just like the Flash and Justice League, I am gonna to let Titans sit and stew for awhile. I may read it if I have time at the end of the week/month, but I am not putting time aside for it any longer. The art is mainly the reason. Well, those "artistic" panel layouts I mean.
 Roll Eyes

Went ahead and read ANAD Avengers and.....glad I did.  I actually wound up liking this.

Well then it will only get better by issue 10 or 11 for you then.  Grin Like yeah, it wasn't "bad" (certainly not on the level of the other two), but I just didn't "get into it" even though I have read every issue, it never gave me that "wow" factor. It felt like a "so what?" kinda book ... well, until a few more issues in that is. That is when I started to get the "oh yeah, here we are" feeling. But hey, glad you dug it earlier than I did!!!
 Smiley

Flash #5, 7
Teen Titans (pre-Rebirth) #24
Teen Titans Rebirth #1
Titans #3

Oh sure, Rodney pops up again after I talk bad about almost everything he is reading/buying.  Wink  Cheesy
But heck, I hope you are enjoying them, Rodney!!! That is the important thing!!!
 Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2016, 06:08:58 PM »

Don't be hatin', Perry.

I am open to suggestions that are NOT Marvel's Civil War II related.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2016, 11:21:00 PM »

Don't be hatin', Perry.

Cheesy no sir.  Grin Not trying to.

I am open to suggestions that are NOT Marvel's Civil War II related.

Tell ya what, I know you are not much of a Marvel fan (though everyone should be reading the Miles Morales Spider-Man, Mighty Thor and Moon Knight  Wink), but I will say, and I can't stress enough, how good the following DC books are right now:
Detective Comics - You really need to read #940 if you are a Tim Drake fan. True emotion.
Wonder Woman - Rucka is back !!
Action Comics - Just fun stuff. And I say that, as you may remember, as not a fan of Supes.
SuperWOMAN  Wink
Hal and the Green Lantern Corp - Not the other GL book, Green Lanterns. No no. No no no no. Not that one.
Deathstroke - Though this is a little harsher in tone than the ones above
and
Trinity - at least I was impressed by the first issue

I think you would be more than happy with any of those (and I did like the first issue of the Teen Titans more than I thought I would. I may check back in.

Just avoid your avatar's book, there buddy. Cyborg was no bueno!!!
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2016, 04:19:52 PM »

Sunday Update

Superman #7
Mighty Thor #11

Action Comics #964

Detective Comics #941
Deathstroke #3
Hal and the GLC #7
Wonder Woman #7
Teen Titans Rebirth

Hulk #10
Nighthwak #5
Ultimates #11

Aliens: Defiance #5
X-O Manowar #48
X-O Manowar #49
X-O Manowar #50

Generation Zero #2

Infinite Crisis pre-read issues:
Action Comics #829
Adventures of Superman #642
Wonder Woman #219
Omac Project #4
Wonder Woman #220
Wonder Woman #221

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2016, 06:43:11 PM »

ComiXology
Justice League 3001 6
Justice League 3001 7
Justice League 3001 8
Justice League 3001 9
Justice League 3001 10
Justice League 3001 11
Justice League 3001 12
Nemo: Heart of Ice TPB

Trade Paper Backs
Book of Death - The Fall of the Valiant Universe TPB - 3/4 done

So I guess we'll never know how Justice League 3001 ends.  I did like how on the last page of issue 12 the characters in the comic tell us why by simply saying...
"We're cancelled."
Cheesy

Nemo: Heart of Ice was really good.  Nice addition to Moore's LoEG world.  I'm looking forward to reading the next two trades in this series.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2016, 09:20:16 PM »

Trade Paper Backs
Book of Death - The Fall of the Valiant Universe TPB

Finished my list off way early.  Since I still have Sunday-Tuesday left I decided to go ahead and add some more MU comics.

Next up:

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny Avengers Annual 1 (Robinson & Deodato)
Spider-Man 2099 1
Spider-Man 2099 2
Spider-Man 2099 3
Spider-Man 2099 4
Spider-Man 2099 5
Spider-Man 2099 6
Spider-Man 2099 7
Spider-Man 2099 8
Carnage 1
Carnage 2
Carnage 3
Carnage 4
Carnage 5
Carnage 6

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2016, 04:32:29 AM »

Sunday Update (Post Football)  Cheesy

Superman #7
Mighty Thor #11

Action Comics #964
Detective Comics #941
Deathstroke #3
Hal and the GLC #7
Wonder Woman #7
Teen Titans Rebirth

Captain America: Sam  #13
Captain America: Steve #5
Hulk #10
Nighthwak #5
Ultimates #11

Aliens: Defiance #5
X-O Manowar #48
X-O Manowar #49
X-O Manowar #50

Generation Zero #2

Infinite Crisis pre-read issues:
Action Comics #829
Adventures of Superman #642
Wonder Woman #219
Omac Project #4
Wonder Woman #220
Wonder Woman #221
Superman #222
Villains United #6
Rann/Thannagar War #1
Rann/Thannagar War #2

Rann/Thannagar War #3
Rann/Thannagar War #4
Rann/Thannagar War #5

Rann/Thannagar War #6
JSA #77
JSA #78
JSA #79
JSA #80
Day of Vengeance #5
Day of Vengeance #6

Infinite Crisis #1

A couple things:

First off, I just love this image from Superman #222

Secondly, I did more of a read a page, skip a page, read a page, skip two pages, etc ... with Detective #941. It is part 3? or 4? (or whatever) of the Monster Men crossover that is happening in all the Bat books and I just don't like it. At all. I read the first part and I think a good part of the second before giving up. Forgot this was going to be a part of that crap too or I would have read ... or half-read it earlier. I saved it for nothing.
 Angry Sad

Third ...ly ... Even though I am not complete with my reading, Like Jeff I also added some more books to my weekly read list, though I think I may end up being happier with my comics than he will be with his  Wink But best of luck to you sir!!!
 Smiley

Lastly, I didn't read all the issues of the Rann/Thannagar War because I noticed, as Jimmy (I think) mentioned, there wasn't much tie-in here to be had. I am reading, or trying to read, all the books I can that have a part or lead up to Infinite Crisis and I really didn't get anything in those first two issues or the last issue to warrant me reading that now. Not when I have so much to read (I did all this just to get a better understanding when I read 52) and I am so close to starting Infinite (EDIT-) Crisis, I just said screw it. By this time the Steelers game was about to start as well, so...
 Grin
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 03:04:41 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2016, 01:38:52 AM »

I guess this is still applicable to last week's reading!!!

Dr. Strange #1 (definitely intriguing. I just liked the small character aspect that his hands still have a bit of a tremor when not spellcasting. Great tiny little touch that means so much!)
Guardians of Infinity #1 (I can see this not lasting long for me)
All-New Wolverine #1 (was fine. I liked the art more than anything, and I had the identity of the enemy guess right away).
Hercules #1 (totally dug the vibe coming off this book)
Nova #1 (just thought I'd try Li'l Kid Nova once. Still not a believer here, but I'll read some more)
Uncanny Avengers #2 (I dont' have the hates for this, as I don't see much worth going against. Kind of a nothing book. And ridiculous for it's set up. And I didnt realize the Pietro's suit was the fast forward symbol on the vcr; I just thought it was speed arrows. Ugh)

Action Comics 962 (end of Doomsday arc)
Deathstroke #1 (I love Priest!!! Good looking book too~!!!)

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2016, 06:16:35 AM »

I guess this is still applicable to last week's reading!!!

Guardians of Infinity #1 (I can see this not lasting long for me)

It didn't last long for anyone.  Cheesy Another of Abnett's "not so good recently" stuff. He has just been ... well ... not so good lately. Even his Hercules, which I agree as fun at first, faded for me after a couple issues. Which by the way, the title does get canceled but it does continue in the Civil War: Gods of War mini. Just so you know and can finish the story if you want. It is essentially still the same book you are reading now but with, yeah, Civil War on the cover and a brief "look, we tied this into Civil War" moment, so they could at least finish the story.
 Undecided

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2016, 11:56:12 PM »

Had to stop and post on Spider-Man 2099.  As usual, PAD takes awhile to build so I was just "eh" on the first few issues. Then somewhere around issue five or six, Bam!  Now I'm hooked as his groundwork in the first issues starts to come to fruition.  Had to go ahead and read issue 9 even though it wasn't on the list.  This is getting good.

Marvel Unlimited
Spider-Man 2099 1
Spider-Man 2099 2
Spider-Man 2099 3
Spider-Man 2099 4
Spider-Man 2099 5
Spider-Man 2099 6
Spider-Man 2099 7
Spider-Man 2099 8

Spider-Man 2099 9
Carnage 1
Carnage 2
Carnage 3
Carnage 4
Carnage 5
Carnage 6

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2016, 02:38:38 AM »

b]Marvel Unlimited[/b]
Carnage 1
Carnage 2

Carnage 3
Carnage 4
Carnage 5
Carnage 6

Didn't quite make it so I'll finish Carnage tomorrow.  Too tired now.

Not even Robinson could make Uncanny Avengers worth reading.  I stopped about 10 pages in and just flipped through to the end.  Ugh.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2016, 01:54:41 PM »

Not even Robinson could make Uncanny Avengers worth reading.  I stopped about 10 pages in and just flipped through to the end.  Ugh.

Just not enjoying his big two stuff lately. His Earth 2 stuff was, okay I guess plot wise, but didn't like most of the dialog. His FF was, well, about the same. Currently his Squadron Supreme, which I really want to love, I am just kinda liking but I think that is the characters and the Namor stuff that I won't spoil  Grin
His Scarlet Witch I dropped off of, but that was probably his best writing in a long time, it was just the rotating art got to be too ... not enjoyable to my eyes. However, if you can deal with it and the first artist or the second artist was really cool, you should try that book if you miss Robinson.

Glad to hear about Spidey 2099. I dropped it after ... 3 issues I think, but maybe after 3 as it just wasn't hitting. Good to know you got pulled in later, so I can try again knowing that.
 Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS