HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 03:58:21 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader - September 28, 2016  (Read 14050 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 27, 2016, 05:58:42 PM »

Here's the start of my reading list for tomorrow.

Marvel Unlimited
New Avengers 1
New Avengers 2
New Avengers 3
New Avengers 4
New Avengers 5
New Avengers 6
New Avengers 7
Uncanny Avengers 1
Uncanny Avengers 2
Uncanny Avengers 3
Uncanny Avengers 4
Uncanny Avengers 5
Uncanny Avengers 6
All New, All Different Avengers 1
All New, All Different Avengers 2
All New, All Different Avengers 3
All New, All Different Avengers 4
All New, All Different Avengers 5
All New, All Different Avengers 6

ComiXology
Justice League 3001 Sneak Peek
Justice League 3001 1
Justice League 3001 2
Justice League 3001 3
Justice League 3001 4
Justice League 3001 5
Justice League 3001 6
Justice League 3001 7
Justice League 3001 8
Justice League 3001 9
Justice League 3001 10
Justice League 3001 11
Justice League 3001 12
Nemo: Heart of Ice TPB

Trade Paper Backs
Book of Death - The Fall of the Valiant Universe TPB

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 11:08:54 PM »

If those Avengers titles/issues are from the current series' all I can say is someone is in the mood for some masochism.
 Cheesy
Ugh, boy you got some tough reading ahead of you.

I say skip them all and save your sanity. Or read on if you are in the mood for that sort of pain.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 02:44:26 AM »

If those Avengers titles/issues are from the current series' all I can say is someone is in the mood for some masochism.
 Cheesy
Ugh, boy you got some tough reading ahead of you.

I say skip them all and save your sanity. Or read on if you are in the mood for that sort of pain.
 Cheesy

Oh man - how can I NOT read them after that challenge!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 02:54:59 PM »

Oh man - how can I NOT read them after that challenge!

Cheesy
It would be hard to do so  Grin, though you may feel different after a few issues in  Wink

My list for this week -

Superman #7
Mighty Thor #11

Action Comics #964
Detective Comics #941
Deathstroke #3
Hal and the GLC #7
Wonder Woman #7
Teen Titans Rebirth ... I may peek at

Hulk #10
Nighthwak #5
Ultimates #11

Aliens: Defiance #5
X-O Manowar #48
X-O Manowar #49
X-O Manowar #50
 - Last issue Sad
Generation Zero #2 - If this is close to what issue #1 was, Valiant has another winner !!!

Infinite Crisis pre-read issues:
Action Comics #831 - The second part of where Max Lord has control of Supes
Adventures of Superman #642
Wonder Woman #219
- The final part of where Max Lord took control of Supes
 Grin

« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 09:24:43 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 12:43:28 AM »

So how are those books coming for ya, Jeff?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 02:44:37 AM »

So how are those books coming for ya, Jeff?

I was just coming here to post......

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 02:52:01 AM »

Here's the start of my reading list for tomorrow.

Marvel Unlimited
New Avengers 1
New Avengers 2
New Avengers 3
New Avengers 4
New Avengers 5
New Avengers 6
New Avengers 7
Uncanny Avengers 1
Uncanny Avengers 2
- yeah, I stopped here
Uncanny Avengers 3
Uncanny Avengers 4
Uncanny Avengers 5
Uncanny Avengers 6

ComiXology
Justice League 3001 Sneak Peek
Justice League 3001 1
Justice League 3001 2
Justice League 3001 3
Justice League 3001 4
Justice League 3001 5

Justice League 3001 6
Justice League 3001 7
Justice League 3001 8
Justice League 3001 9
Justice League 3001 10
Justice League 3001 11
Justice League 3001 12

Trade Paper Backs
Book of Death - The Fall of the Valiant Universe TPB - halfway through

Let's see, who are in my all time favorite mutants list? Cable: check.  Quicksilver: check. Rogue: check.  Who do like in the Fantastic Four?  Johnny Storm: check.  So looks like Uncanny Avengers will be a great book!

I couldn't even finish issue 2.  Just flipped through to the end and then did the same for the rest.  This is off the reading list for good.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 02:28:21 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 02:58:20 AM »

I did leave Uncanny Avengers Annual #1 in the library since it's written by James Robinson and Deadato is on art.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 11:54:33 AM »

Let's see, who are in my all time favorite mutants list? Cable: check.  Quicksilver: check. Rogue: check.  Who do like in the Fantastic Four?  Johnny Storm: check.  So looks like Uncanny Avengers will be a great book!

I couldn't even finish issue 2.  Just flipped through to the end and then did the same for the rest.  This is off the reading list for good.

Ow. I think I'm on to issue 2 right now!! Shocked

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 02:30:51 PM »

Let's see, who are in my all time favorite mutants list? Cable: check.  Quicksilver: check. Rogue: check.  Who do like in the Fantastic Four?  Johnny Storm: check.  So looks like Uncanny Avengers will be a great book!

I couldn't even finish issue 2.  Just flipped through to the end and then did the same for the rest.  This is off the reading list for good.

It didn't help that I was also reading Justice League 3001 at the same time which is actually funny.  Uncanny Avengers just pales so much as it tries to be the same kind of book.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 02:43:05 PM »

I did leave Uncanny Avengers Annual #1 in the library since it's written by James Robinson and Deadato is on art.

Don't blame ya. Love that Deodato art !!!

Well, either you will love this title or you will hate it  Cheesy I personally hated so much of this I stopped very early.
I hate:
- Quicksilver's new look (A fast-forward symbol? Oh I get it, but Soooooo damn stupid. Yes even in a world where people where tights to fight, a symbol you can find on an old cassette player is not a good symbol for your costume.  Cheesy)
- The fact that Deadpool is "allowed" on any Avengers team. Like Spidey said, If he's in, I'm out (pardon the paraphrase). And the fact that Steve is the one that gave the okay? Oh hell no!!
- The art by Stegman, who I like, especially as a Spidey artist, is just not powerful enough to be on an Avengers book. But again, that is coming from someone that ...
- Hates having all these "Avengers" books in the first place. I mean, Avengers? You bet. West Coast? Okay, sure, for nostalgia. Great Lakes? Haha, just for a laugh. But three main Avengers teams? No way  Wink Wink Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
- The story was just ... not good. Bottom line, regardless of what I think going in, if you can grab me, ya got me, but this was just not good.
- Deadpool should be on the Great Lakes team!!!

Now, Jeff, and Jimmy if he gets going further into his MU reading  Smiley, for the other Avengers books, you may like them, I hope you do, but here, in non-spoiler format, is what I had issues with on each other title. Hopefully you will not have the same problems.

New Avengers - I just don't care. The outward premise is ... okay, honestly ... both kinda cool and kinda stupid. I mean really, that is what it felt to me. I found the "nature" or "idea" or even "purpose" of this title to be both extremely interesting and 100% bullshit at the same time. I honestly think, for me, it was who the writer decided was going to be the main focus or leader(s) of this that really got me. You can put almost any other Marvel characters (or Avenger) in the main and second role and I think it would have hit me better, but who they chose? I just didn't even want to care about this title as it just made no sense to me. Cool premise, bad intro. Maybe it got better past issue #2? I doubt it.

Oh that and the art ... which I loved in space with the original GotG team, but not here. Nope.

All-New, All-Different Avengers - Aside from the title being incredibly bad (Bleh) this book was set up to be THE Avengers title. Even though it is filled with the substitute heros, it has all the big names (Cap, Thor, Iron Man ... even Vision, who I hate his new "movie based looked) and it has some cool ass younger folks as well (including my current favorite Spider-Man). This was the book I was so tuned into. However, it's biggest problem, again, for me? B.O.R.I.N.G. I like the writer, I like the art, I like the team, but up until issue 10 or 11 when
they go to the Negative Zone and the book got interesting and found its voice I fell
, the book was just ... there. It was just ... it was. And now, believe it or not, they have done a real good job tying in this Civil War II shit into this story and of course you know what comes next, so I am looking forward to that, IMMENSELY !!!

So there you have it. What I felt about the Avengers titles. Hope you guys have a much, much better experience, though as Jeff just found out with one of them ... I am not sure that will happen
 Undecided

EDIT - May as well update my list, huh??

Superman #7
Mighty Thor #11

Action Comics #964
Detective Comics #941
Deathstroke #3
Hal and the GLC #7 - The art is getting sloppy, but still written well
Wonder Woman #7
Teen Titans Rebirth - I peeked, not bad. Not bad.

Hulk #10
Nighthwak #5
Ultimates #11

X-O Manowar #48
X-O Manowar #49
X-O Manowar #50

Generation Zero #2

Action Comics #829
Wonder Woman #219
Omac Project #4
Wonder Woman #220
Getting good !!!!!
 Grin
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 02:58:19 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 04:10:32 PM »

Action Comics #829
Wonder Woman #219
Omac Project #4
Wonder Woman #220
Getting good !!!!!
 Grin

Honestly, right in that zone of books, DC was just nailing it. Just fantastic. Over in Marvel, I think that was Bru's Cap, Fraction's Iron Man, JMS Thor, and yes, some Bendis DD. What a great reading time!!!!!!!

More exclamation marks !!!!!!!!!!

Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 03:17:42 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
New Avengers 1 - um yeah.  Didn't make it through this issue.
New Avengers 2
New Avengers 3
New Avengers 4
New Avengers 5
New Avengers 6
New Avengers 7

ComiXology
Justice League 3001 6
Justice League 3001 7
Justice League 3001 8
Justice League 3001 9
Justice League 3001 10
Justice League 3001 11
Justice League 3001 12

Trade Paper Backs
Book of Death - The Fall of the Valiant Universe TPB - halfway through

Gonna be an easy week I guess.  Stopped reading New Avengers during issue 1.  The second I saw Squirrel Girl on the Avengers I knew it wasn't for me but tried to keep reading.  Just couldn't get through it.  And another one bites the dust.

I need to go back to Justice League 3001 for a bit and cleanse my palate before tackling ANAD Avengers.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 03:20:57 AM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 12:46:16 PM »

Honestly, right in that zone of books, DC was just nailing it. Just fantastic.

Yep, really good stuff here. Having a hard time putting these down to get my weekly reading done  Cheesy

However, I will say the one thing that is really hurting my overall enjoyment are the fact that almost every time I turn a page, I get an ad. Now I know that sounds like hyperbole, but I remember this. Both DC and Marvel were just loading up in the ads about this time.

Take Adventures of Superman #643 for example (as far as I remember from my notes, that I can't read now  Cheesy) - Cover, then ad, 2 pages, ad, 1 page, ad, 1 page, ad, 2 pages, ad (and then a 8 page Bionicle insert, but then BAM, an ad. Etc .... (it actually gets better, less ad intrusive after that, though they still arise)  Angry Again, both sides of the street were doing it, Marvel even worse I feel) and it sucked. Then I think, is it really better paying more money for less ads? Well before reading this I would have said no, but now after reading that book, and more that came out about the same time, I almost think it is.

Even still, ads be damned, this is some great stuff. Indeed.  Smiley

Stopped reading New Avengers during issue 1. 

Yep. Didn't think it would work for you ... but it was a pretty safe bet as I don't think it would work for anyone really  Cheesy

I need to go back to Justice League 3001 for a bit and cleanse my palate before tackling ANAD Avengers.

Now with this ANAD title ... its just boring. That, to me, is its only draw back, but that can be a BIG draw back.  Grin

Updated List -

Superman #7
Mighty Thor #11

Action Comics #964
Detective Comics #941
Deathstroke #3
Hal and the GLC #7
Wonder Woman #7
Teen Titans Rebirth
Batman Beyond
Titans #3
- I think I am about done with this. Booth and his constant slanted panels and the story is just okay. Maybe on a slow week I will catch up?

Hulk #10
Nighthwak #5
Ultimates #11

X-O Manowar #48
X-O Manowar #49
X-O Manowar #50

Generation Zero #2

Action Comics #829
Wonder Woman #219
Omac Project #4
Wonder Woman #220
Adventures of Superman #643
Superman #221
Action Comics #830
Action Comics #831
Omac Project #5
Omac Project #6

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 03:24:19 PM »

Titans #3[/color] - I think I am about done with this. Booth and his constant slanted panels and the story is just okay. Maybe on a slow week I will catch up?

Not even Wally can save it eh?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS