HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 07:59:24 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Black Hammer  (Read 36979 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 25, 2016, 11:52:31 AM »

A pretty cool book. A good Lemire title  Grin

Basically, a group of heroes fought a Darkseid/Galactus type bad guy and somehow, we are not sure yet, the hero Black Hammer saved the world and the rest of the group of heroes, but now they are stuck in a small town and can not get out. What? Yeah, its crazy, but really good. Not an action book, but a real cool new book with JLA/Avengers characters, and homages, like-

-Golden Gail - Who can transform into a hero by shouting "Zafram" but is now, since being sent to the small town, stuck being 11 years old  Cheesy
-Colonel Weird - An Adam Strange/Dr. Strange blend of crazy? We haven't seen much of him yet
-Abraham Slam - A, from what I can tell so far, Superman/Captain America leader guy
-Madam Dragonfly - Either a Scarlet Witch or perhaps a very odd Zatanna mixed with Mantis. Another we have not seen for more than a few panels, as of now.
-Talky Walky - Haha. A robot who is trying to save them all from what Hammer had to do to save them. He is trying to contact the "outside" world. Oh and as he is an android, I am thinking a Red Tornado and Vision mic? I guess? A Partner of Colonel Weird however, so ... maybe his name is a clue to another analogy I am missing?
-Black Hammer - The hero that died saving them all in the first place. A Batman/ Thor analogy? Very little shown on him yet.

And then, this past issue #3 focused on our last hero of the group Barbalien (the character from Mars who has flight, intangibility and shape changing ability as some of his power set. See? I told you JLA  Cheesy) really was a great issue as it showed us a little bit of his fellow Martians and what they think of Humans.

Give it a look see.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 08:30:41 PM »

I'll add this to my wish list.  Sounds good and I like Lemire generally.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 08:34:45 PM »

Bonus! The first two issues have already dropped to $1.99.  That automatically puts them at the top of my purchase list.

Those covers look awesome.  I'm looking forward to checking it out.  Hopefully the interior art is just as good.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 01:30:32 AM »

The art is very similar to the covers, for the most part ... A little cleaner, but not much  Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 01:51:56 PM »

Issue #4

Yep, a good title here. And yes, Abraham Slam is certainly the
Captain America
analogy  Cheesy

A great issue of this "family" trying to get along and deal with their situations. And that ending? Oh boy oh boy oh boy!!

8 outta 10 Back talkin' robots
 Cheesy Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 02:34:52 PM »

Cool!  I've got the first three issues in my list to read.  I'll have them done tonight or tomorrow.  Can't wait to read your spoilers once I'm done.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 01:37:30 AM »

Just finished issue 3.  Your right, this is a great book. Love the similarities to the JLA.

I'm sooooo tempted to grab issue 4 at full price.   Undecided

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 01:13:50 PM »

I'm sooooo tempted to grab issue 4 at full price.   Undecided

And I understand why. However, allow me to try and save you a little bit of money ... maybe ... at least for a month Grin.

There is nothing that happens here, even as good as the issue was, that can't wait for a month. The trick is going to be next month, maybe. I say that as this past issue (#4) was pretty much self contained, but just had a cool last page that leads itself to being something that the following issue MAY will go into. But it could also not be addressed until 3 or 4 more issues down the road.

Let's try this. Wait on buying issue #4 until it is cheaper and I will let you know about that time if they do follow up on that last page of issue #4 inside issue #5 and you can then decide if you want to pay full price for THAT issue as it may be the one you would want to pay full price for anyway.
 Cool

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 01:44:27 PM »

Sounds like a good plan!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 09:39:42 PM »

Issue 5

Wow. This was the best issue yet.  I'm not sure I want to keep going. I don't see anything gripping me the way this issue did.  So sad.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 04:02:50 AM »

Issue 6

Aaaand this was great too.  I love this series.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 11:04:16 AM »

Issue 5

Wow. This was the best issue yet.  I'm not sure I want to keep going. I don't see anything gripping me the way this issue did.  So sad.

Such a great issue!!! A mixture of Adam Strange and Dr. Strange!!! Man, it was good. And yes, kinda sad. Love the name of his lost love, Eve Argo. So many ways to take that name. First female and a ship of discovery, searching for the Golden Fleece? A beginning and the Constellation? Love that name. But again, sad.

But good!!
 Cheesy

Issue 6

Aaaand this was great too.  I love this series.

Finally more on Madam Butterfly and her "Cabin of Horrors"!!  Smiley Really interested in this character and the relationship with Abraham. Oh, and another sad story with Butterfly and Swamp Thing Bog Whatcha-macall'it  Cheesy (I don't think he had a name after the transformation, but hey, BW works)
 Grin

(Hope you are reading this, Jimmy!!!!!!!!!!!!)
 Cool

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 05:46:39 PM »

Issue #7

THE BEST ISSUE YET!!!!!

Jimmy, I swear, if you are not reading or have at least not given this title a try you are missing out on some of the greatest "big two" comic homages/references/twists that I have seen.

Now that doesn't make the book, the story is also really well done, but the characters are fantastic tweeks or twists on some great old Marvel and DC characters. This issue we get to meet characters like -
"Starlok" (Odin and Highfather combined) who fights his evil dark brother "Anti-God" along with his son "Escaper" (who can escape any trap or cage), Whiptara (Sort of a Valkyrie and Lashina mixture) and of course, their teleporting "Warpie" (who you guys just have to see ... HAHAHAHAHAHA)

Seriously, try this book. Such a grand change of pace.

10 outta 10 - Amalgams that don't make the story, but enhance it!!!!!!
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 03:31:23 PM »

Issue #7

THE BEST ISSUE YET!!!!!

Better than issue 5?  I didn't think that was possible!  I may have to pay full price!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 04:31:47 PM »

Issue #7

THE BEST ISSUE YET!!!!!

Better than issue 5?  I didn't think that was possible!  I may have to pay full price!

Well, honestly, I may be bias a tad as I love the homages/references of older characters so much that it adds to the story for me. Is the story better? Maybe not, but it was worth reading for "Warpie" alone  Cheesy (and the origin story of another character)

That said, I say save when you can, my man. Go ahead and wait for the price to drop. I mean if you wait for three isues to drop in price, your fourth one is free essentially
 Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS