HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 10:15:12 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AVENGERS  (Read 14029 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2018, 05:14:03 PM »

Avengers #1

Rapid thought!!!

(No spoilery stuff)
 Wink

I enjoyed this, but man, I could have loved it. I am just not a huge fan of Mcguinness' art. Especially in this context where I wanted a little less "big guy" type. Plus here, his characters seem very flat faced. There was hardly any dimensions to the heroes faces. I am not saying it sucked, it just wasn't what I wanted.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2021, 02:07:24 PM »

I usually read this title, depending on the story arc. Age of Khonshu was decent, but Enter the Phoenix was horrible. Just binged and finished World War She-Hulk and really enjoyed it. Huge fan of Winter Guard and Gorilla-Man!
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2021, 02:34:12 PM »

Oh how I loved Moon Knight kicking all kinds of Avenger booty  Cheesy but man, Jason Aaron, who I really love as a writer, just left so much to be desired with his run here. For me anyway. But hey, lots of people do/did like it and certainly glad you are amongst them, but I do think the art was a huge factor in me not enjoying this title more.

I really think Aaron could have written everything the exact same way and with a different artist, I would have at least read more of it. Now  in all fairness, the colorist also didn't wow me honestly. Not that the job they did was poor, but I am not usually a fan of super bright comics in the first place, save for books like Cap or Superman or the like, and while I understand that Avengers, by and large, could or should be such a title, the stories themselves led more to a darker tone.

I mean, for some examples, you had a Celestial story, a vampire story, Ghost Rider stuff and of course the aforementioned Moon Knight storyline and to me they all lend to the darker tone of coloring. If I saw a vampire movie that was as brightly lit and colorful as Aarons Avengers story... well, you get it.

But it isn't all on the creative team, all are good at the craft, it was just a bad editorial move to put those pieces together on this particular title. At least to me
 Smiley

But this isn't just about Avengers, I was talking about how Batman is starting to piss me off as Gotham City currently is beginning to look as colorful as Metropolis and that is just crazy!!
 Grin

But just as the saying goes that the best whiskey is the one you like to drink, the same should be said about comics. The good comics are the ones that you got enjoyment from!!!
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2021, 08:45:10 PM »

I understand what you're saying about coloring. The brightness/darkness definitely adds to the feel of the story. When it's available online, will you be reading Moon Knight? I picked up the first four issues and it's a decent read. I really don't know much about the character.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2021, 10:12:19 PM »

When it's available online, will you be reading Moon Knight? I picked up the first four issues and it's a decent read. I really don't know much about the character.

I will be.  His schizophrenia makes him a pretty interesting hero.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2021, 11:26:20 PM »

When it's available online, will you be reading Moon Knight?

Oh yeah, one of my favorite characters (you should truly read the older stuff, or at least a recap of it so you don't have to deal with 80's writing  Wink).
I have read the first issue of the new series already, couldn't wait to try it, but I will be reading the rest as it hits MU, yeah buddy!!
 Smiley

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2021, 01:12:17 PM »

Finally got around to reading issue #50/750 and WOW!!! There is alot to absorb and process. Great issue and moved quite a few plots along, but I don't care for the new roster and will not get the next issue/arc.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS