HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 01:31:56 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thinking about adding ...  (Read 5224 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 30, 2016, 07:22:09 AM »

... a bunch of THESE to the reading list. Been listening to the old Marvel "Bullpen" stuff and really feeling like some old comics. And with this stuff, I can have my cake and eat it too as some of these as the early ones, right after Superboy leaves (or get kicked out !!  Shocked  ...  Wink), being written by Marvel ex Gerry Conway (who yes had some earlier work published in DC), as well as just being about to get my Legion on again. A win/win

I am reading the Wildfire origin issue now, issue #283 by the great Marvel Editor Roy Thomas, and it is so ... dated  Cheesy, but enjoyable. One thing about reading the Legion, you always know characters names as they are dropped in almost every panel it seems.  Cheesy Wildfire giving these three Legion wannabe's another try out, and taking them to task all the while letting us, the reader, know their real names and their 'code names' all the while letting us in and explaining not only all their powers, but his as well. Ha, good, classic stuff.

Art-wise I think I look forward to getting to the Giffen drawn issues most, and not just for the Darkness Saga, but for the fact he always had a very cool look for the stuff around the Legion, not just the characters, but like the hologram computers and other stuff that made this book look "futuristic". And I could start at #259, Gerry Conway and the booting of Supes  Grin, but no, after thinking about it while writing this, I will probably start here, with this Wildfire issue, as it is closer to those Giffen issues starting at #287.
 Smiley

Then again, after one or two issues of 80's Legion writing, I could be well sated and call it quits for a few more months.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 01:01:25 PM »

Those were some great issues.  Why can't they be this great again?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 01:19:24 PM »

Those were some great issues.  Why can't they be this great again?

Right? Here's hoping that the new Legion, right around the corner if Rebirth is any indication, rolls out a very strong story!!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 05:02:35 PM »

I actually bought the Darkness Saga last year-and read it for the very first time!! 80s writing and all, I still loved it!

I know the rest of the trades out there do collect all of Giffen's work on it from those issues on, and it's something I really do wish to see and read!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 10:51:46 AM »

I haven't read it in awhile (understatement  Grin) but I do look forward to it.

I  just finished -

And now that it has me even more excited about the days gone by, which reading some older Alter Ego and Back Issue magazines had got the spark going and that Marvel The Untold Story book has really ignited, I have to make the decision of what to read next. I know I want to stick with the Legion, but do I go all the way back to their Golden Age (and probably easier to find, but costly) Action Comic and Superboy days or do I dive back into the Silver Age and what I am presuming to be cheaper to buy collected, but way more scattered) Superboy and the Legion days, or do I just start with (the very easily found) Legion of Super-Heroes proper?

And then, do start there at the LoSH main, Legion #259, the official dropping of Superboy from the title, or do I just continue onto #284?

Oh the decisions!!!!
 Cheesy

Edit - And I know I could just get the Showcase editions for the real early stuff, but just don't know I could go all those issues in a row being black and white. The Legion is not a comic that fits well with B&W.
 Undecided
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:57:42 AM by Perry » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS