HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:16:28 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Joker 2 premieres in theaters October 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS - REBIRTH  (Read 35289 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 02:47:41 PM »

Yeah I think this is my #1 Rebirth title.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 03:35:01 AM »

Read through 10 & 11 I believe.

HA! I love it!
The Emerald Space! And Kyle returning! And Kyle still being mega powerful and needed and important to everything! And Larfleeze!

Damned great title. Loved seeing...Rafa Sandoval on art here too!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2017, 07:11:11 PM »

Ha! Great fun stuff!!

Loved seen Van Sciver back on art. Although, I thought it was bad form on the Lantern leaders' part to
smash all the collection cylinders, where there could have been more cities held in suspension, like Tomar Tu's!! what if another city suddenly just blew up in that cave space!! Bad thinking there!!! Loved that metro-sexual Lobo was left in space. But I like the way that John and Soranik have turned things on their heads; the two corps working together? I mean, Sinestro's prime group is a hardened group of sadists and murderers. Now they'll be co-workers? Uh, I think I agree with Hal with the statement-

"We're going to do what, now?"

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 08:52:16 PM »

Not even looking at that spoiler!!
Haha
Man, I got to catch up.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 12:43:29 AM »

Where are we at with this title? 15 or so? I know this title has me a bit.. blue ...right now, but dammit, I love it!!! I loved the 'future storyline' spread again, and I love that Ethan Van Sciver considers GL his mainstay title to always come back to! Such good reading!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 06:53:31 PM »

I think it's up to 16 but I haven't picked up anything since issue 9.  It's still my favorite DC tilte but I have been catching up on things I've already bought and I'm way behind on all of my DC reads.   Sad

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 12:32:36 PM »

Issue #'s 14, 15, 16 and 17

Ya know, I hate to say this, but I think this is one of those rare comics that read better month to month. Not all at once or even bi-week to bi-week.

I just read four issues straight through and I really had a feeling of "drag". The story didn't hit me with the usual "I am glad I can go right into the next issue" thoughts that I normally have when reading comics back to back. I really wanted to stop after one issue and read something else instead. A feeling that normally happens with poorly written books, which this is not.

Now true, (issue #16) the
fight with Guy and Arkillo
had me rolling my eyes at the absurdity of it all, no way
a human survives that beating, much less has the strength to come back and punch like Superman ... no matter his emotional drive (which was good) but I know, I know ... COMICS!!
but that didn't help my resolve to keep reading.

I also hate the character Kyle Raynor. I didn't 'Back in the day', but (issue #17) having
yet another F'n human Green Lantern just drives me crazy. I mean, what? Four freaking Earth GL's to protect one sector? I get it that the sector gets more attention than most, but does it?
Really?

I do like where the book is going, other than
having way too many humans in green
, and I think this book would be a great monthly read, I am not sure it is worthy of bi-weekly for me any more.
Just too many chances to see way too many GL's from Earth  Cheesy
I hope I can keep up with this as it comes out, or I may just peek in from time to time instead of being a constant reader.

And even though this ended up feeling like a 5 by the time I was done, due to the plot, the dialog and art, I am giving this a ...

7 outta 10 - Dentist agree
 Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2017, 01:28:09 PM »

Since I did read it monthly, my thoughts after issue #16 was
why the hell was this happening? Why did Guy feel the need to go mano a mano without a ring? Why the fight to the 'near' death? There was no lead up. Nothing the in past that I can think of having Arkillo treat Guy like his father used to treat him to drive him into such a cold frenzy. I thought this issue was damned stupid, and a horrible blight.

It would have meant something if Guy would have been under some PTSD or horrible emotional strain after being tortured for his fear for 3 issues. Now, if we would have seen Guy pinwheeling through emotions of shame, or resentment, or his typical blind anger, that would have been one thing. But no, it was green ring on and slinging hurt again, all is good!

No, I truly hated this dumb issue. The Guy children flashbacks were out of place with all the narrative of each prior story. What a clunky departure from everything else that had been occurring.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 01:46:40 PM »

Yeah, I agree with the '[where the hell did the need to do that come from?]' argument.
 Cheesy

The past, while a motivation for Guy's anger in general, made little no sense directed at this certain character. And while I know that sometimes we can take out emotions on the wrong people at times, Guy went directly to, went looking for, this particular character like the guy looked like his father or something.

Now the only thing that would made sense, and maybe I missed it or missed the part that leaded up to it, would be if Guy was recently having those anger issues over the abuse he suffered early by his father, wanted to retaliate, to release the aggression towards anyone of strength (or the idea of) and knew this guy was the "big bad tough one" so he decided to go get him. Maybe they showed that thinking earlier (as, like you stated, Guy was held against his will for a time in earlier issues) and I just missed that leading to this?

If not ... no idea
 Undecided

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 01:25:36 PM »

Issues #8 and #9

Just A-1 stuff here. Top notch story telling and great art make this book an easy top 5 title. Really impressed all around.
And that ending !!!!

Looking forward to issue #10 now more than ever.

9 outta 10 - cliff hangers
 Smiley

Your at the same spot I am.  So tempted to buy issues 10-17 and get caught up.  It will definitely be my first group when I'm ready to binge on my DC titles.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2017, 02:25:22 PM »

Issues #8 and #9

Just A-1 stuff here. Top notch story telling and great art make this book an easy top 5 title. Really impressed all around.
And that ending !!!!

Looking forward to issue #10 now more than ever.

9 outta 10 - cliff hangers
 Smiley

Your at the same spot I am.  So tempted to buy issues 10-17 and get caught up.  It will definitely be my first group when I'm ready to binge on my DC titles.

Well, I would buy issue to issue unless you get a great deal. The book is still okay, but not as powerful as it once was. The only real question ... is the reason I now lack exaltation because I read so many (4) issues in a row and got tired of it, or was there a drop in my enthusiasm because the writing?
 Undecided

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 03:50:49 PM »

I'm gonna say because you read so many in a row.

However, with the big bombshell ending, and Soranik and John's plans....it seems to be in this weird sleeper lull until 'what next?' hits. Not that it's bad! But it's kind of like (for those who enjoy it) the fuel stop in a Nascar race. Or waiting for the guy on the free throw line to retie both his shoes. Or for Rafael Nadal to wipe both his arms 3 times, then his face twice, then his left arm twice again.

Just get onto the next thing. This book is high octane action and big story plot drops!! We need more, not another time out before the field goal attempt!!

Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 05:33:29 PM »

Yeah, it isn't "bad", it just doesn't hit me like before.
But I suppose that happens with them all from time to time
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2017, 03:28:21 PM »

Or for Rafael Nadal to wipe both his arms 3 times, then his face twice, then his left arm twice again.

OMG - I actually got this reference.  Dang wife and her Tennis channel.   Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 04:40:31 PM »

Or for Rafael Nadal to wipe both his arms 3 times, then his face twice, then his left arm twice again.

OMG - I actually got this reference.  Dang wife and her Tennis channel.   Cheesy

Cheesy

Tennis channel?
Wow, didn't even know they had that. I was aware of Golf, but not Tennis. But then again, I haven't watched tennis since the Wimbledon were Agasi wore all white for the first time. However, I was an Ivan Lendl man back in the day and really enjoyed seeing the decline of "The Screamer"
 Cheesy

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS