HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:14:26 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Captain America: New World Order premieres in theaters February 14, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Civil War II  (Read 37262 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2017, 01:38:57 PM »

I'm really getting bogged down with all the tie-ins.  Can I skip these and only read the main story and the series I normally read?  Or is there one I need to read because they revel something important?

I do not read a single mini/one-shot tie in. Whatsoever. Obviously, the titles I read flow into it (and Steve Rogers: Captain America has a HUGE man behind the curtain scene!!), but as of right now, I've not needed to read anything else.

And I'm doing just fine keeping up with it and understanding it.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2017, 02:37:28 AM »

So, the END

Civil War II #8

What a load of bullshit from Hank McCoy. What a lame ass, stupid, fucking cop out. 'He wanted you to do this to prove it should stop.' WHAT.

To hell with all that. And what Carol did? Come on!! How is she not...in any sort of trouble? What in the hell? NO ONE WAS ARRESTED. NO ONE WAS CHARGED. NO. ONE. DID. ANYTHING.

Except be in some vision by a magic minded college kid. That holds up to the general public. Or before a Senate Inquiry.

I really want to get into more of what I believe simply does not work, but I need to reread the last 3 issues.

I just is...nonsensical, and well, stupid. It's simply stupid. From issue to issue, and big moment to big moment, it does not connect.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2017, 11:01:26 AM »

Now Jimmy, keep in mind that Bendis added this additional issue to this mini because he had "a better ending" than he had originally.
 Grin Grin Grin Grin
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
 Grin Grin Grin

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

This, along side IvX, was the worst crap I have read in a looooon time.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2017, 05:15:50 PM »

havent finished CWII yet but the lack of consequences is driving me nuts.  "this series will change everything" yet no real change, no one held accountable...this is getting really sloppy.

Wasnt Maria just a figurehead after Pleasant Hill with no real authority yet through out this series she seems to be running things (into the ground).  now we have all this "future" BS, arresting normals for things they might do or be slightly involved in, arresting fellow heroes because they might punch Carol or even worse, disagree.

just utter crap storytelling.  so done with events that shouldn't even be approved as regular storyines
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2017, 05:53:14 PM »

While I know Marvel is merely having fun with those catch phrases, like "This changes everything" or "This will break the internet in half", those type of comments, and I get why, they are starting to sound like ... well ... dickheads about it.

They have returned to the point they bordered on before. Where they are literally having fun with their audience, at the expense of their audience. Not a smart practice.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2017, 07:24:47 PM »

Finished it and......I didn't hate it.  I didn't like it either but no outrage.  Maybe I was desensitized because I heard how bad it was.

At any rate, glad I'm done and moving on....

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2017, 07:42:27 PM »

At any rate, glad I'm done and moving on....

Best for everyone to do the same, I say
 Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2017, 03:39:56 AM »

Finished it and......I didn't hate it.  I didn't like it either but no outrage.  Maybe I was desensitized because I heard how bad it was.

I hate how poor it is.

Maybe I won't go into such a long, drawn out review of it, but man...it's so damned....poor. I don't even want to use the word stupid. It's not lame. I think 'poor' is the best word for me.

Sure, bad and awful are fine, mediocre or whatever works too. Unfortunately for my opinion of Bendis, this once again only strengthens the idea that his Big Marvel Event writing will always fall short. It has always been the balloon that slips out of your hands and spins around the room, expelling all it's air before falling as a limp piece of rubber.

Yeah, just utterly poor.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2017, 09:23:46 AM »

I will go to my grave saying this, Bendis just can't write large cast books. It is not in him to so do.

He can take a single hero or even a couple of them and make a very good book. Daredevil, Alias, Ultimate Spidey, Miles Spidey, Spider Woman (he loves spiders) Sam & Twitch, Iron Man and his new Defenders are examples of titles I love him on, mostly, but put him in a crowd of heroes like Guardians, X-Men, Avengers and almost any event book (other than House of M which I thought he did well with) and his story beats suffer and it is either boring or it all falls apart towards the end ... if not by issue 2.

Now, that is not saying I wouldn't love seeing his take on my FF, I damn sure would (He does Ben with perfection as I think he gets that one character very well) but anything larger ... it just hasn't been proven to be a great thing

And to me, this event is just another prime example

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2017, 04:39:35 PM »

I eventually deleted the last 4 issues from Unlimited. I simply could not reread it to form a cohesive opinion of the overall metatextual message of this story.

I really despise the mists making an Eternal out of a human. Did not like that. Ugh.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2017, 12:41:19 PM »

Grin

I applaud the attempt from Spencer, even though I may be alone in that (I really do like the idea of this "event"), but yep, nothing here but a good outline.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS