HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:56:01 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DETECTIVE COMICS - REBIRTH  (Read 14974 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 08, 2016, 07:57:27 PM »

Mostly I liked this issue. At least enough to keep reading a couple of more issues.  There are things I didn't like. The ending splash page did nothing for me and the inclusion of Clayface seems cartoonish.  But I like the team Bats has put together otherwise and would like to see where this goes.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 02:18:07 PM »

I agree. I'm not as sold on this as I was hoping originally (Especially after making the claim I would get this for Batman regardless).

I think the part that troubles me most is
the function of Batwoman as team leader. I think over most of the team, including Spoiler, Orphan, Clayface and even the young Duke Thomas (whom I guess is gonna be showcased more in the Batman title) I could see easily enough, I suppose, but having Tim, a solid Robin to say the least (even though he is less of a "red" Robin now  Wink), as a follower of her, even if given the title of "lieutenant" or second in command, I gotta be honest and say I am struggling with that idea.

Hopefully that changes. I ike how they set her up to be a team player, even though the history of that just isn't there, but ...  Undecided

Now with Clayface, I think I can get on board with that easily enough. Obviously he is gonna be used, hopefully with great success, as the disguise guy. Heck,
he will probably be the one taking the place of this mysterious new bad guy at some point in the future ... to take control of his goons  Grin
but I think the reason I am more onboard with this than not is that I have not liked the way he has been used as a Bat-Villain in quite some time. He could easily have been more a thorn in Bat's side than he has been, but hey, that's in the past now. I guess I mean I haven't liked him in a long time anyway, so I am more hopeful this will be the place I see him shine.

I can see your hesitance towards him, however.

Overall I am a little less gleeful about this series, but I don't see me stopping yet. However, if I start to get that Batman and Robin Eternal feel to it, I will drop this faster than hell. I stayed on that weekly way longer than I should have. I won't make the same mistake with this bi-weekly.

6 outta 10 mini-Brother Eyes
 Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 03:50:13 AM »

Issue 935

The overall story is rolling out a little slow but has potential to ramp up next issue based on the cliff hanger.  Despite that and my concerns earlier on Clayface (he's growing on me) I think I'm on board with this.  There is something in me that is enjoying this title even though I can't put my finger on why.  I'm going to keep picking this up until that changes.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 02:06:42 PM »

I enjoyed this a lot more than the last issue. Tim had more of a bold, leadership voice this time and wasn't relegated to 2nd string as much and I think that helped. Plus the conversation with bats wasn't bad for him either.
 Cheesy

And yeah, we get a little more Clayface discussion that helps us make the transition of his placement here.

I liked the art over all, pretty nice actually, but do we always have to have the J.H.Williams III style bat panel when she is on page?
 Cheesy

One thing I will say that I like about this double shipping, it sure helps my old brain remember what happened from issue to issue having only to wait two weeks instead of four. Well except for Wonder Woman because the story isn't shipping twice monthly, just the title
 Cheesy
The one thing I still praise the hell out of Marvel for doing is putting that darn recap page in the front of all their books. But this shorter time between issues does help for DC reading now.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 12:36:50 AM »

Issue 936

Story picked up the pace this issue.  It's good.  Nice twist too that finally got me interested.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 08:13:30 PM »

Issue #937

Tell ya what, after that first Rebirth issue, where I was less than excited about this comic, this puppy has been a shining light for me the last couple issues. This is some good damn stuff here.

Love the ... utility belt inventory scene  Grin

Yeah, this is good.

9 outta 10 "... {revolutionized} suit munitions"
 Wink

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 01:56:39 AM »

Issue #937

Agreed. Still not a fan of how they use Clayface but it's easy to ignore with how fun this is.  Love this team and this story.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »

Issue 939

I still like this book BUT.....

if Tim can reprogram the drone targets wouldn't he make that target the bad guys ship instead of himself?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 01:29:12 AM »

Cheesy

Maybe ... and I'm just throwing darts at a board here ... maybe
the drone programming needed a location? I can't remember much about the why's and how's other than every Bat player trying to get every civilian out of certain places and how I was not overly impressed with not only the issue, but also that this story is still going on. But if not that ... haha, wow, nice catch!!! Or bad on them I should say.

Though I am interested to know who the guy with the cap and black eyes could be ... I think he was with the group Steph was leading away ... I think. Do you know whom I talking about? And do you know who he is, if you do?

But yeah, not the greatest story.

6 outta 10 - broken window panes. Just an average issue, with a point bonus for having Batman in it.
 Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 09:58:41 PM »

If you read one DC comic from this past week, make it -

Issue #940

This is the issue you need if you want to enjoy ... no, that is the wrong word sentiment ... this is the issue you need if you want to be privy to how most DC comics will be encased within a great story element for months going forward.

Slight spoiler, but not a heavy one

Pre-Rebirth and Rebirth #1 call back in this issue.

Wow, this book

9 outta 10 exclusive contracts
(Writer Tynion just singed exclusive to DC)
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 02:55:02 AM »

About dang time! Although I'm only left with more questions.

Glad I stayed on this series.  Great book and great issue.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 01:34:43 PM »

Issue #943

Man, DC is killing it with the last reveals so far this month. Are these all new bad guys? This looks like it may be a good'un coming up!!!

Only issue I had here and maybe it should be because maybe it has happened before, but Kate Kane, Batwoman, calls Batman "sir". This happens when they are both in civilian guise which kind of made it even more pronounced to me, but it just hit me as ... off.

Has she ever called him that before? As Bruce or Bats?

All in all a better recap issue than Action Comics as this wasn't really a recap issue as much as a "what now?" issue I suppose so I guess I shouldn't have compared the two. It is just my old Super hater" coming out, I suppose  Cheesy. Yeah, that isn't relevant ... nevermind.  I guess I just liked this issue a tad better, but again, that last page ... Oh yeah!!

7 outta 10 crushed statue heads
 Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 10:01:44 AM »

Detective Comics issue #'s 949-952

Man, I'm not enjoying this as greatly as I once did. I think most of that comes from the little things more so than a major problem I have with the book. For example, in this last issue I read -
Lady Shiva is shown to just beat Batman so easily, down him, pin him like he was the Riddler, that it didn't work for me. Not that easily. There is a panel that shows him on his belly with Shiva over top of him, arm barring him, that just didn't look right to me. She even says something like 'I could kill you with a simple twist of my arm' or some such. It just seemed like Bats was one of her henchmen or something. A lackey. Look, I know even the best can have a bad day, and maybe Bats wasn't fighting as hard as he could and took it lying down,
but ... no ... ya know?

Also the new or fill in artist, while not bad, isn't as pleasing to my eyes as the last.

And I am tired of
Kate's dad
also. Yawn.

But again, nothing too bad going on here in this title, just personal dings and little things.

6 outta 10 - well placed katanas 
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 05:53:55 PM »

Issue 965 and 966

Yes!  This title is back to the top with this story arc.  Tim Drake as you’ve never seen him before.

9 out of 10 Tim Drake timelines  Wink

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 12:50:12 AM »

Issues 967 & 968

Wrapping up the Tim Drake escape / time arc.  This title is back on top.

Issue 969

Start of new arc.  Love what they are doing with Red Robin and this team.  Looking forward to how this wraps up.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS