HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 10:28:58 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My Marvel cuts  (Read 8020 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 07, 2016, 08:05:42 PM »

Okay, I had thought I started a thread where I discussed what books I have dropped from the All New/ All New All Different Marvel, but I don't see it. I just made some more cuts and came here to post them, but I don't see the thread I thought I had started so ... I am gonna start it now.

Cheesy

Allow me to go back, look at all the ANAD Marvel books I gave a try  (or some I didn't even try) and let you know what I have now dropped.

And it will be updated.
 Grin
Maybe
 Grin

(Keep in mind that marvel, like DC's Nu52, started with a huge amount of titles to try so the drop list will contain some titles I didn't want to try (if I can remember them), some I tried and just did not like and some I tried and liked but not enough to keep buying/borrowing)

First, let me start by listing the books I did follow, to completion, but sadly got canceled  Undecided Cry

My damn you !!! list
Angela
Hercules
Red Wolf
Weirdworld (I think this is canceled)  Undecided

Okay, so, My Marvel drops (including the issue I stopped) are as follows ... and I think it is right, but it has been so long I may have tried one or two that I don't remember trying but ...

My "I didn't try" list -
Agenst of SHIELD
Drax
Gwenpool
Rocket Racoon and Groot
Spidey
Starbrand and Nightmask
X-Men '92

As you can see, I didn't "not try" quite a few  Cheesy as this list of ones I didn't try is very small. Yes Marvel, I gave you a shot on most of these. Okay, moving on

My "I gave it one issue and that was plenty" list -
All New Hawkeye
Black Knight
Captain Marvel
Carnage
Contest of Champions ... which I came back for and then dropped again after 4 issues  Wink
Howard the Duck
Howling Commadoes of SHIELD
Hyperion
Illuminati
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur
New Avengers
Patsy Walker: Hellcat
Silk
Silver Surfer
Spider-Qwen
Starlord
Totally Awesome Hulk (still hate that name)
Thunderbolts
The Unbeatable Squirrel-Girl
Uncanny Avengers

Then the "Okay, I gave you as much as I could" list -
Deadpool
Guardians of the Galaxy
Guardians of Infinity
Ms Marvel
Nova
Spider-Man 2099
Spider-Man/Deadpool
Web Warriors

And then lastly, the cuts I just made or made over the past couple weeks or month ...
The "I am sad to see ya go, but ..." list
A-Force
Scarlet Witch
Extraordinary X-Men

Now that still leaves about 40 titles from Marvel, and no ... I am not reading them all  ... yet ... though it may be close Grin  Wink Cheesy ...  Undecided but some titles I just haven't tried yet like Punisher, Nighthawk, Black Panther ...etc, but soon!!!

This list was just for the ones I tried and stopped reading for whatever reason. (art, story, writing, etc ...)

I just wanted to do this, I think I got them all, to see how this looks in the future.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 08:51:14 PM »

Sounds like a good commercial supporting Marvel Unlimited.  Just way too many to buy!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 10:50:14 PM »

i'm just getting to the #1s in MCU and i'm about a month behind.  I will try to read as many as i can but my problem is once i start a book i tend to read it to the end, even if i'm not enjoying it (new Ghost Rider I'm looking at you)

i read the 1st issue of angela...while interesting I'm not sure i care.  I didnt care much about her at Image and nothing here or in her past series is really hitting for me.  how long did it last?

also read Squirelgirl...which is funny but not really my cup of tea.  i read the 1st series and this seems to be more of the same.

Love the art in Sam Wilson but Cap has to be really great for me to keep my interest.  too much navel gazing

I read an avengers book or two not sure which ones as there are sooo many...the one with Sunspot and his AIM team. 

not sure if i've read anything else yet as stating i'm a gutten for punishment so i will probably keep reading especially since i've already read my $70 worth since re-upping with MCU last month.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 01:31:09 AM »

Marvel has a lot of "Okay" books. That is the problem. For every Vision there are 15 Star Lords. For every Ultimates there are 12 Thunderbolts. Books that have little to no inspiration to them, at least as far as I can tell. Heck every single one of the X books are a study in mediocrity. They're not bad, but I read them and the first think I do when I get done is think, okay, next! I mean, all they really do is "fill time". When I don't have a lot of time or I am not in the mood to think, I will grab an X-book and blast through it. No thinking required ... but sadly no emotion either. No lasting thoughts. That is the way Marvel wants it right now, as to not "promote" the X, well, okay, fine, but still.

I use to read these things and remember them, for weeks, months or even years afterwards and now I read a typical Marvel book (or DC back in Nu52) and I feel ... nothing ... usually.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying a good amount of Marvel books. A good amount. Moon Knight, Spider-Man, Black Widow, Thor and both Iron Man titles and even the first issue of Nighthawk are all well worth the read for me. Plus some of the books I read are down right funny as hell. Antman, Spider-Woman, Mockingbird and Power Man & Iron Fist (though that one feels weird as a comedy book, I am happy it is at least being printed  Grin) all get me laughing out loud at least twice an issue. And of course I am getting blown away by a couple Marvel books as well, like the aforementioned Vision and Ultimates (for what it is doing more than for how it is doing it) to name two, but on the flip-side, when I think about it, I am also saddened that Waid's All New All Different Avengers is just ... Meh.

I'm not trying to complain. I read Marvel for escapism and they give me that, but man, I wish they would stop printing 95 comics a month and just publish 50 really, really good ones. Ya know? And damn it, have only one Avengers book and make it the best book you produce!!!

Okay, end bedtime rant
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 02:36:46 AM »

Well....nuts. Sad

You know how much I hate placeholder books, or books simply churned out.

I don't think I'm going to care much for this Nuuuu-Marvel then.  Undecided

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 10:15:55 AM »

Grin
Well you don't have to be an idiot like me and try to read them all.  Grin

If you don't try the good ones, you are only hurting yourself  Wink But I know there are a couple you like ... I think?

But hey, even in the worst of times blaming an entire comic company for churning out nothing but crap is highly unrealistic. Not that I am saying that is what you are doing, but you're kinda making it sound that way. I just worry that when people seemingly place a barrier over an entire comic company, other people will believe the few words instead of checking for themselves. Heck even though people that listen to other people or take what they say as total truth are soon to find they have no comics to read.
 Grin

But hey, we should all know companies can't pump out all winners and they don't pump out all losers. Heck, DC's 52 still had some good titles. Sure, thanks to some crazy editorial moves and decisions the "good" may have only been around 10% of the total published, but should that have meant that people should not have read the DC titles that were worth the time? As I stated, Marvel does have some good to great books to be read and they should be read, but like DC, the % of great is vastly hindered by the amount of total books published.

I stopped reading comics in the '90s because I felt the industry as a whole was not where I thought it should be. I left it all behind. But you can't tell me even during that horrible time that there were not some good comics out. Had I wanted to read, I surely could've found something I enjoyed. Admittedly, that may have been a hard task  Cheesy, but then again, we are talking about a time when every single publisher was pushing mostly shit held by staples. That is nowhere near the case today.

Like I know you know, ALL publishers have good comics and bad comics. It is just Marvel, in publishing in the triple digits each month, has a higher chance at failing ... while also, I have to admit, having a better chance at hitting that one stellar book that everyone loves. Or says they love but the book still doesn't sell well and is canceled after 12 issues.
 Angry Angry

I just feel that if anyone would try books like Vision or the Ultimates or Spider-Man (Miles) or Astonishing Ant-Man or Karnak or Moon Knight or Thor or yes, even the mediocre books like Uncanny X-Men or Wolverine or Dr. Strange they would find more books they enjoy. (hint, hint)
 Grin

But look, I am not a shill for Marvel (regardless of what it may seem sometimes  Cheesy I am happiest when both Marvel and DC and the rest are doing fantastic all around) and yes I am not totally happy about the amount of books Marvel is putting out, but at the same time, yeah, there are some good books to be read. But hey, its also cool not to read them. Just remember that part is not Marvel's fault (unless you're an Avengers or Fantastic Four fan, then ... yeah ... totally their fault)
 Cheesy Wink Smiley

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:45:25 AM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 04:05:51 AM »

I revisit this thread, because I've been trying to push through and into ALL the #1s that came out after Secret War.

And so far, I find much to be ....lacking.

Blah to New Avengers, ANAD Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, and well, I"m starting to grudingly make my way through the X books now. I think I'll feel the same.

I'm not sure I'll stick around with as many books as Perry has, though.

And yes, I've enjoyed-6 months behind-Thor, Daredevil, um....crap, it's late, and I'm forgetting things. Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 01:31:11 PM »

I revisit this thread, because I've been trying to push through and into ALL the #1s that came out after Secret War.

And so far, I find much to be ....lacking.

I would say half of them are total crap.
I know I stopped reading about 35 titles after issue #1.

... I"m starting to grudingly make my way through the X books now. I think I'll feel the same.

Yep. Nothing grand in the X-Books to be had. However, and I stand by this 100%, the first 6 or so issues of Uncanny X-Men title are the best of the group. Yes, even with Land art. And doesn't that say something?

Then comes Wolverine. The story is just "okay", but it works for me somehow.

The rest are just there. Comics you read if you're a huge fan of "X" or, like me, someone that has missed them so much that it is worth the time, almost, if it isn't worth the price. But there is nothing exciting going on here. But Marvel had said there weren't going to be anything worthwhile in the "X" books for a good bit ... while they work out that crap with FOX. (Okay, that last FOX statement was me)
 Wink

I'm not sure I'll stick around with as many books as Perry has, though.

Well, at that time I posted that, I was reading about 40 Marvel that remained after my drops. 5 of those were Star Wars.  Grin But that left about 35 Marvel but yeah, about 40 total. That sounds about right, though I am now, including the Star Wars titles, down to about 30, and most of those I don't read monthly.

And yes, I've enjoyed-6 months behind-Thor, Daredevil, um....crap, it's late, and I'm forgetting things. Cheesy

This section took me a minute as I am/was trying to list all the books I do read and think about the ones that are worthy of reading. Red are books I know are not for you, or suspect at least, while the others ... I see no reason for you not to enjoy them. But tastes will vary of course.
 Grin

Avengers - I still read, it's Waid damn it, but yeah, this is bad.
Ant-Man - Spencer's funny, funny book
Black Widow - Which isn't out on MU yet, but you should read it (or look at it as not a lot of dialog)
Captain America - Steve
Captain America - Sam
Daredevil
Dr. Strange - First arc started ... not so great, but finished strong
Hulk - Had to catch up on this after finally being talked into it. Much better than I had thought it would be
Iron Man - Invincible - Bendis, so you wont like
Iron Man - International - Bendis, so you wont like
Moon Knight - !!!!! (arc ended horribly, but still worth it)
Nighthawk - Sadly already canceled  Sad
Power-Man & Iron Fist
Punisher
Amazing Spider-Man
Spider-Man - should be on MU soon
Spider-Woman - funny, though the art will not be for everyone
Squadron Supreme
Thor
Ultimates - !!!!
Uncanny Inhumans - Not the All-New Inhumans
Vision
and all five of the X books

So, that is about 27 Marvel titles and if you add the Star Wars, I read about 31 over all. Now take out the one Avengers title I read, the Bendis books, Amazing Spidey, Spider-Woman (as I am not sure the art would please your eyes), the Uncanny Inhumans (because you don't want to like that  Cheesy Smiley) and the X books ... all of which I know you don't enjoy, that leaves, not counting the Star Wars books, about 16 Marvel books that I think you COULD enjoy on MU. That's only eleven less books than I read.
 Wink
Not bad at all considering.
 Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 05:16:46 PM »

Nuts to me! Forgot to say Ant-Man; I love that book! I'm waiting for Spencer to get a secondary Spider-man book and just be awesome with a Peter Parker!! And I forgot VISION?! Dude, Jim, DUDE! Tired, I tells ya.

I haven't started Dr. Strange yet, or Ultimates, or fully into Waid's Avengers (which I wanted to love!!), or Squadron, Awesome Hulk I've read an issue, Spider-Miles just came out and haven't read, Power Man and IF just released as well, Spider-woman I'll probably bemoan coming to it late, even with me complaining a little, I still love me Captain America (I just probably won't buy these in trades like I was through Remender's work), and, maybe I'll try, but I still haven't read an Inhumans book in the last 5-6 years they've been publishing them. I just...don't...care lol!! I don't even hate them, or anything like that. I just really don't care for them as a property. Maybe...maybe it'd be like "Hey Perry, here's a bunch of Lady Rawhide comics! And Battlechasers! You want to read them?" And maybe your lip curls and you simply just go "no thank you."  Cool

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 06:05:10 PM »

.... and, maybe I'll try, but I still haven't read an Inhumans book in the last 5-6 years they've been publishing them. I just...don't...care lol!! I don't even hate them, or anything like that. I just really don't care for them as a property. Maybe...maybe it'd be like "Hey Perry, here's a bunch of Lady Rawhide comics! And Battlechasers! You want to read them?" And maybe your lip curls and you simply just go "no thank you."  Cool

But see, if Lady Rawhide or Battlechasers were a major book that dictates/surrounds a major story in their respective universes, I would not hesitate to at least give them a shot.
 Wink
And I am not just talking about the Civil War event. Way before that these Inhumans were major players. Remember all the times I at least TRIED Superman? It wasn't because I like him  Cheesy, it was because of his importance to the universe he resides in. It's perfectly fine not to care about a book, but to not try a book that is impacting the universe it is in ... eh ... ya feel me?

But its cool, broham. You read what ya feel. That is what makes comics fun to read!!! No reason to read something you couldn't care less about
 Cool

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 06:33:59 PM »

They were really bitching in War of Kings with all the outer space stuff. And in Hickman's involvement with them when Blackagon took 4 more wives. That was some good stuff!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 11:26:59 PM »

Grin
Blackagar Boltagon ... that name needs to be retired.  Grin Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS