HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 06:11:41 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thunderbolts premieres in theaters July 25, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: SUPERMAN - REBIRTH  (Read 22872 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2016, 02:11:24 AM »

Issue #8

OH BOY !!! Some great "guest stars" ... that are not really in this issue and have long since been gone !!!  Wink

Great, fun issue all around. Looking forward to this arc, greatly.

But,
I'm all for not letting my son see dead soldiers (haunted tank?) but at least grab the dog-tags to give to the families of those lost ones so they can have closure, Clark. Jeez  Undecided

Grin

Yep, good start. I think we're back on track with this title.  Cool

7 outta 10 Prehistoric Dental Plans
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 01:04:30 AM »

So, I'll agree-this Eradicator story went far too long. And the whole swallowing a being (by moving mass to some other dimension while not shifting mass ((which I argue as two beings fly to the moon to fight within moments and not 3 days of flight??? Cheesy Cheesy )) ) but I digress. A bit too long.

But I liked the way Jon, Lois, and Clark the father acted during this time. Kid tried to storm in, he was warned, did it, got hurt, got told to sit the sidelines, he did, and only acted then again upon parents' okay. Better than some doofus tv star sitcom kid!!

Up through issue #8

I love this Superman by Gleason and Tomasi. A real family fan, a real stalwart hero, leading figure...and a father trying to lead as his own father would have. Love the shout out to Cooke's old war story, and I'm just glad to see how this book has been handled and led forward. Very near, and right almost even with Action for me.

Goofy eyes and smiles, too.  Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2016, 02:21:54 PM »

I can appreciate your thoughts on the Supe's stuff, Jimmy, I agree.

But ...

Issue #9

Quite possibly my favorite single issue of the year!!!! Now it could have been the perfect blend of mood and comic, but either way I am currently struggling trying to recall an issue I had better enjoyment reading this year. To be honest, I don't even want to try to come up with an answer now as I just want to be content in this warm blanket that was issue Superman #9
 Smiley

Issue #8, the first part of this was an interesting issue, but add in this one and POW !! I only wish I would have read issue #8 and #9 together and got the full "collected" feel of the story. Still, just yeah, great stuff.

From (slight spoilers ahead) ....
Krypto being a dog and getting the "ball"  Wink to a great new limb, to Pterodactyl Airlines, to the eye, to the figure standing at the entrance of the cave that I can't make out (who is he?!?!),
all of that and more combine to make this rating one of the easiest yet.

10 outta 10 ways to train a dragon
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2016, 02:52:20 PM »

Superman Issue #10

While this issue wasn't as fun as the last, I still find myself digging this title. Even through those damn Gleason faces and eyes, I find this title not just worth a look, but worth a pick up and take home
 Wink

We find this issue to be more of an intro to DC's newest upcoming title, "Super Sons", and hey it works. I am really looking forward to that book as I think the conflict (and eventually friendship) will be an amazing thing to see. There will be one panel in the future of Super Sons that will show us Damien, making someone that hurt Jon's feelings just right out cry, just by using his words. I'm calling it now.
 Grin

So yeah, so while this title wasn't really a "Superman" issue, it was a good Superman family issue. And hey, that is just super.

8 outta 10 - future pals
 Wink

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 02:46:50 AM »

Issue #9

Enjoyed this 2-parter. Wonderful nod to the lost Darwyn Cooke, and this team continues to do well by me to show that Jon is a boy, a Superboy, but a boy nonetheless that is a good boy who listens to his father, but is still excitable enough to try and do stuff that dad does, but nothing in the manner that is a horrible sitcom or bad movie trope.

Love that I've been enjoying 2 Superman titles so much over the last 5 months!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 02:26:05 PM »

Issue 11

Hurry and catch up, Jimmy !!!!! Damn it, man !!!  Cheesy

Okay, so, this issue, It wasn't written perfectly to say the least. There are severe timing/pacing issues all over this book and some stretches of the imagination as well, but hell, we are talking about a caped Super-Hero book. Stretching the imagination is a given, right?
 Smiley

This was, even as poorly as I feel it was constructed, one heck of a book. It hearkens back to the old days of comics. Pure and simple. It was a fun as hell romp. Just let your pacing issue go, kick back and enjoy this issue.

This title is really starting to hit for me. The last four or five issues alone have made this title a top book for me. A Superman book? This book? THE Superman book ... though some could argue, rightfully so, that Action Comics is historically THE Superman book
 Grin

Another setup for Super-Sons, but this is one company mandate (pushing the kids into recognition) that is a true winner.

8 outta 10 - letter "I"s in the word "Team"
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2016, 07:45:59 PM »

Man, I need to catch up too.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 02:56:32 AM »

Caught up through

ISSUE 11

So damned cool. I honestly do love me some World's Finest sons (but I still hate Damien. Hate him! Always have!!) Wink Cheesy

But a damned cool adventure, and DC has sold me on making, and keeping, Superman and Batman as parents.

As having kids in comics, and it still being an okay thing, and hell, even a fun thing!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 12:54:33 PM »

Superman #12

Frankenstein.

All I needed to be pleased about this comic.  Smiley

A good issue, for what it was, though I am left a little saddened by the fact that at the end of the issue,
when we are shown who was masquerading, I have no idea who this guy/girl/alien named Kroog is, so I am hoping he/she/it is a new character, but I will go and do some research soon to find out.

Basically a two part fill-in story I think, but still pretty enjoyable even knowing that. Other than the fact it feels like a two page fill-in story
 Undecided Wink

But hey, Franky !!!!

7 outta 10 - employment walk-throughs gone wrong
 Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2017, 02:58:29 AM »

Superman #12

Frankenstein.

All I needed to be pleased about this comic.  Smiley

A good issue, for what it was, though I am left a little saddened by the fact that at the end of the issue,
when we are shown who was masquerading, I have no idea who this guy/girl/alien named Kroog is, so I am hoping he/she/it is a new character, but I will go and do some research soon to find out.

Basically a two part fill-in story I think, but still pretty enjoyable even knowing that. Other than the fact it feels like a two page fill-in story
 Undecided Wink

But hey, Franky !!!!

7 outta 10 - employment walk-throughs gone wrong
 Grin

I second all your motions. Frank looks great!! But man, this Superman sure has no problem with throwing a punch first and figuring out why later (go back to stuff with Lex in the first issues, anyone he doesn't know off the bat/Godslayer dudes) Just noticed this. Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2017, 07:18:05 PM »

Multiplicity!!!! Loving it!!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 08:49:29 PM »

Starting it soon!!!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2017, 01:44:04 AM »

26 & 27

So much just family stuff and growth. I really love the fact that this book gets the chance to breath and do what it wants with the raising of Jon and parenting. I'm glad it's not all about 'what are Jon's powers?' or always putting him in harms way. Or having Jon react as the spoiled and annoying comic trope. I've always said that will put me off the character, but so far, it's all going to the good.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2017, 10:08:23 AM »

This book I am still reading (trying to) but with so many new #1's to peek at, I have just been falling off. Nothing against Supes this time as I am also about 4 months behind on Detective Comics.
That wouldn't be too bad usually, being 4 issues behind, but with that bi-weekly shipping ... well ... 4 becomes 8 quite easily.

Think about that. In two more months I could be (relatively speaking) a year behind on Detective and Superman, just since May or so
 Cheesy Undecided Smiley Embarrassed

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2017, 01:18:40 PM »

Think about that. In two more months I could be (relatively speaking) a year behind on Detective and Superman, just since May or so
 Cheesy Undecided Smiley Embarrassed

That's what happened to me with almost all of my DC reading.  It's really hard to get caught up once your 8 or more issues behind on multiple series.   Cry

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS