HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:42:08 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BATMAN - REBIRTH  (Read 22685 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 03:09:58 PM »

Batman issues 16-19

A decent Bane story that is bringing me tons of enjoyment based almost solely on the look of Bane. I am not a an uber fan of Finch, I mean he is fine, I like his stuff, mostly, but he's not in my top 5 let's say, but the way he is drawing Bane in this arc. Holy shit I am absolutely loving it. Much like Finch, Bane is not in my top 5 either. Hell, he is not in my top 10 Batman villains, but I have never enjoyed him more than I am enjoying him here and that is primarily just on his look.

Bad-Ass look!!!!

Yeah, this was a good read, but I am very glad I had all these issues to read straight through. I read issue #16 a little while back, but when I hit #17 and had the two next issues, the arc became so much more enjoyable.

As much as a pain in the ass it is to have all these issues to read through, it is also so much better. Comics are made for that cliffhanger monthly (or bi-weekly) ending, but they read so much better collected. So much better.

I will read #20 when it hits, as I think it will be the finale for this arc, but after that, I may collect about 3 or 4 more issues to have backlogged before I start again. I think.
 Cheesy

(Man does Bane look awesome here)
 Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 10:45:37 AM »

Wow, it has been awhile since I have taken the time to post here.
 Grin

Batman issues 25-32

I said it before in the Weekly Reader thread and I will say it again here; Ugh!

Tom King is such a great writer, truly, but I just can not seem to enjoy his Batman. Oh sure I will enjoy an issue here and there, but the only thing consistent in King's Batman is that King does not get Batman. The voice is just wrong. The mentality is just wrong. The Actions are just wrong (I can't wait for you guys to read what Bats does in issue #32  Roll Eyes)

Oh and don't get me started on Riddlers last few pages. I will not say anymore on that until more of you have read this. I just can't speak on that now.

What I will say is, that this arc is a shining example of King's Batman. A story that could be so epic in scale, so grand, yet it falls under the weight of bad characterization and bad not the best plotting.

And ... well ... I am sure you guys have heard about Batman and Catwoman, but I am going to place it under the spoiler tag just in-case
Batman has asked Catwoman to marry him ... does that one statement not showcase the lack of understanding about who Batman is? I get you want to shake up characters every so often and no, I am not mad about it happening, I just don't think, out of all the DC characters that you could have get married (and show Marvel it can work *cough,cough* PETER! *cough*) that Batman in the one that makes the perfect choice. I don't want to see "Kinder Batman", "Picnic Batman" or ... oh god ... "Cuddling Batman"
 Cheesy

Now true, Catwoman isn't your normal, run of the mill wife either, so of course there are stories to be had there
but from what I can tell so far, and again, I hate to say this as I love the guys writing, but having read over 30 issues of his Batman, I just don't believe King is the best choice to tell us THAT story.

The art was really cool looking though. I do have to say that.
 Cheesy

Man, this arc could have been spectacular, with its
war between Joker and Riddler
, but ended up being so much less so. Just wrong voices and dialog that turned my smile upside down.

King, I love ya, but give me your other stuff any day!!

Thanks in no small part to the art and colors, the War of Jokes and Riddles rates a
5 outta 10 -

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 09:26:01 PM »

Maybe Bendis will take over.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 11:45:50 AM »

Maybe Bendis will take over.

Maybe, but with his recent drooling over a Superman image at a library in Cleveland, I am thinking he is going for the Man of Steel.

Man, I can't wait to see Jimmy's head explode it that is the case.
 Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I was hoping JSA or LoSH ... but ONLY because I want SOMEONE to do those damn books. And while I would prefer someone that could do a team (not Bendis' forte at all in my opinion) at least it would end up with those titles on the shelves ... something we have been waiting for since Rebirth first hit!
 Angry

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 12:20:50 PM »

Action Comics #1000

What a spectacular event. A comic that has been published for 80 years (essentially).

My thoughts on this book will be ... a lot different than most. There is a lot of love (deserving) in here, but a most the stories, and there are a lot, tend to be the kind of stories that made me not like Supes in the first place. There is a, and I hate to use this term as it has been overused so many times, but there is a Boy Scout aspect here that I just don't overly enjoy.

Now that makes this the perfect issue for the character. It celebrates the core of this iconic character to the utmost and makes Superman fans or even comic fans such as myself, really appreciate this character. No, I didn't love the stories here, but man I did respect the love that went into them.

This book is worth the money. Period

You get 10 short Superman stories (which I will try not to spoil, but still read only if you don't care -
1 - Jurgens doing a story where all the DC characters a planning a celebration of Supes
2 - Tomasi/Gleason doing a great history/time story
3 - Wolfman/Curt Swan doing a hostage story (which the ink made Swans not look like Swan  Angry)
4 - Levitz/Neal Adams with a story about chess ... that I did not like at all
5 - Johns-Donner/Coipel with a great homage to the first Action cover  Cheesy Liked this, except the ending
6 - Snyder/Albuquerque and a young Clark and young Lex story that should have hit, but not for me
7 - King/Mann with my favorite story with Supes and the cemetery where Martha and Jon (their name changed in #158  Wink
8 - Simonson/Ordway and CLark's 5 minute deadline for Perry
9 - Dini/Garcia-Lopez with my 2nd favorite story featuring an alien we all know
10- Meltzer/Cassady and a too long short story about a bullet
11 - Bendis/Lee - Whoah boy, Bendis is here. Undecided Okay, in all fairness all these other stories where done in one while this one is more of a sneak peak or just the intro to what Bendis has planned. And they didn't do him any help putting this story in the back, after all those other ones, but I was less than thrilled by what I read. This new villain, whose design I hate, may end up being "cool" or worthy, but not here. Not yet. I did like the addition of another Super and hope that remains the case, but ... no ... I am not going to pass judgement yet. Maybe it is better I wasn't blown away by the first glance of Bendis with Supes. Nowhere to go but up now and hey, if this IS what will be the new Superman stuff, I can save some time by reading more of the stuff I need to catch up on
 Grin

In closing, while this isn't a book I would usually praise, I think everyone should have a copy of this book. It is worth the price if you are even slightly a fan of Superman and if you are not ... this caped dude deserves some respect, so buy this book
 Grin  

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 03:07:17 PM »

Probably should put this in a Superman thread. 😉

Great to read though!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 04:14:35 PM »

Probably should put this in a Superman thread. 😉

Great to read though!

I think it was his subconscious refusing to post in a Superman thread!   Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2018, 07:17:48 PM »

Cheesy
Yeah, Jeff nailed it. I just couldn't put it in the Superman thread.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Okay, moving it there now. Or copying it there now ...  Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2018, 04:56:09 PM »

Batman 45 - The Gift part 1

Yes!  I love me a good time story and add in Booster Gold and it's a recipe for some Jeff love.  And King delivers.  Great start to what looks to be a good arc.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2018, 07:20:30 PM »

Yes!  I love me a good time story and add in Booster Gold and it's a recipe for some Jeff love.  And King delivers.  Great start to what looks to be a good arc.

Don't you have this in the wrong thread? Didn't you mean to put it in Superman?
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2018, 07:38:30 PM »

Don't you have this in the wrong thread? Didn't you mean to put it in Superman?
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Uhhhhhhhh........NO!    Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2018, 03:28:16 PM »

Okay, if you did not get spoiled by The New York Times article, congrats!

I did, but of my own accord.

Spoilers below for Batman issue #50 by the way

So, the the wedding did not happen, of course, and while I am essentially okay with that (that being a comic thing) I am NOT okay with the way DC, Tom King all involved pulled the old bait and switch with us readers. Again, I am not mad the wedding didn't take place, ya know, comics are soap operas so that stuff happens, but the way in which DC sold us on this wedding, with Pre-wedding prequels and all that bluster ... yeah, I have an issue with that. Then to go and spoil the damn thing 3 days before we can even have a shot at reading it ourselves? WHAT KINDA SHIT IS THAT?

Remember when Marvel did the same thing and everyone pounced on their ass? Why did DC think this, the same thing, spoiling to the world before its release, would be a good idea?

Look, you want to get the word out I get that, but how about doing it the day of, or even the next week prior? Why does selling a comic to Joe Public override the spoiling of said comic to those that were buying it in the first place? Tell your damn story and let them come buy the comic, I get it, but don't .... AAARRRGGHHHH

Anyway, as for the story itself .. I did not like the reason why they didn't get hitched, just didn't make sense really, but what evs as they say. Can't have a happy Batman, pfft, yeah okay.

I am not going to grade this yet. I am not angry, not happy nor sad, but I think I just need to wait and get a better picture of how I do feel about this. I am still mad at DC and what they did more than I am ... anything about the comic itself, so I will be back. At some point.
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2018, 08:06:09 PM »

Okay, if you did not get spoiled by The New York Times article, congrats!

I did, but of my own accord.

Spoilers below for Batman issue #50 by the way

So, the the wedding did not happen, of course, and while I am essentially okay with that (that being a comic thing) I am NOT okay with the way DC, Tom King all involved pulled the old bait and switch with us readers. Again, I am not mad the wedding didn't take place, ya know, comics are soap operas so that stuff happens, but the way in which DC sold us on this wedding, with Pre-wedding prequels and all that bluster ... yeah, I have an issue with that. Then to go and spoil the damn thing 3 days before we can even have a shot at reading it ourselves? WHAT KINDA SHIT IS THAT?

Remember when Marvel did the same thing and everyone pounced on their ass? Why did DC think this, the same thing, spoiling to the world before its release, would be a good idea?

Look, you want to get the word out I get that, but how about doing it the day of, or even the next week prior? Why does selling a comic to Joe Public override the spoiling of said comic to those that were buying it in the first place? Tell your damn story and let them come buy the comic, I get it, but don't .... AAARRRGGHHHH

Anyway, as for the story itself .. I did not like the reason why they didn't get hitched, just didn't make sense really, but what evs as they say. Can't have a happy Batman, pfft, yeah okay.

I am not going to grade this yet. I am not angry, not happy nor sad, but I think I just need to wait and get a better picture of how I do feel about this. I am still mad at DC and what they did more than I am ... anything about the comic itself, so I will be back. At some point.
 Smiley

Now that I finally get to read your spoiler ( I just finished issue's 50 & 51) I'm glad to see I'm not the only one confused by issue 50.  It was dumb.  I was able to keep from getting spoiled but it wouldn't matter if I had been.  I give it a 1 out of 5 batarangs.

Isuue 51 on the other hand.....Loved it.  I can say this without spoiling....Bruce Wayne on jury duty for a case that Batman solved.  Conflict of interest much?  But of course as they led us up to the obvious last panel...Yeah - that last panel was still awesome.  5 out of 5 batarangs for this one.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2019, 09:47:44 PM »

So Tom King kicked off the Batman Title, but allowed to finish his Batman/Catwoman tale in a 12 issue max-series? Just like what happened to Tomasi on Super-Sons!

Oh for the love of ... just let him stay on the darn title to do it there!  Angry

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2019, 04:33:27 PM »

No kidding.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS