HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:57:41 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: TOP OF THE STACK 5/4/16  (Read 6189 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: May 02, 2016, 03:13:40 PM »

What are your top 3 or 4 books at the top of your reading list this week?

*This does not take the place of "This Weeks Comics", which is also an important part of the discussion, so Jeff, please do continue that!!  Cool Cool

We all have them, our favorite or most anticipated new books that we want to try. And when they hit, we can't wait to get our grubby little hands on them. They are the first 2 to 4 books that our bright eyes gaze upon, pushing all others to the "I will read them when I have more time" slot. Yes, for these books we make time, damn it. These ... above all others!!!
 Grin

Here is my Top of the Stack for this week.

Book 1 - Renalto Jones: The One % #1 (Image) - From the artistic talent of Kaare Andrews (Iron Fist) comes an angry book about revenge. Not an attack on the wealthy people, but an attack on the wealthy people that are assholes!?!?!? Kaare Andrews describes it this way (from Image's website) -
"Batman was a billionaire kid who watched his billionaire parents die at the hands of a poor street thug trying to keep his family alive. Batman didn't declare war against crime, he declared war against the impoverished. The world today doesn't need Batman. The jails are over-run with the poor. The true criminals, the ones that aren't prosecuted... are protected by money and position. They bankrupt our country, take our jobs, take our homes, kill hope and compassion. And profit from all of it. Today's world needs someone who can make THEM pay. The ONEs. Today's world needs RENATO JONES... It's not Revenge. It's Restitution."
(more HERE)
Oh yes!!!! I have been waiting for this for sooooo long. Since the first issue of his Iron Fist mini I knew I was going to follow this creator wherever he went, whatever he worked on. And while Iron Fist didn't finish as strong as I (or others) had hoped  Embarrassed, the artistic flare this guy brings to the page is enough for me to give this book "the 'ole three issue go". It will be the first book I read this week.
Here's to revenge!!!

And that is about it for this week  Undecided Sure there are books I want to check out, but more of a "I will get to them" feel more than a "I have to read this ASAP" feel that deserves the label "Top of the Stack".

Hows abouts youse guys? Is there a book or issue that you will be heading for first when it hits this Wednesday? Or more than one? Let us know.
 Smiley

And on a side note, I do know one issue I will be adding to the top of my read pile when it hits (maybe in three weeks? I have not seen it yet, but is suppose to release in May) is Satellite Falling. This book looks as if Blade Runner was happening on the Star Wars capital of Coruscant  Cheesy I mean this looks incredible and I hope you all try it.
Take a peek HERE and tell me if that just doesn't have you wanting to try it?

Satellite Falling will be my Top of the Stack when it hits, without question ... well ... unless it comes out late and hits the same week that DC Rebirth issue comes out.
 Grin
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 11:38:19 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 12:49:15 PM »

Building in my shipment:
Justice League #49
Velvet #14
Wrath of The Eternal Warrior TP Vol 01 Risen

Reading this week:

Trades
Manhatten Projects Vol 6

Marvel Unlimited
She-Hulk 8
She-Hulk 9
She-Hulk 10
She-Hulk 11
She-Hulk 12

Comixology
Midnighter 1
Midnighter 2
Midnighter 3
Midnighter 4
Midnighter 5
Midnighter 6

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 11:49:04 PM »

Reading this week:

Trades
Manhatten Projects Vol 6 - a little over halfway through. Should be done before Wed.

Marvel Unlimited
She-Hulk 8
She-Hulk 9
She-Hulk 10

She-Hulk 11
She-Hulk 12

Comixology
Midnighter 1
Midnighter 2
Midnighter 3
Midnighter 4
Midnighter 5
Midnighter 6

I wasn't sure if I liked Midnighter or not but that ending to issue six tipped the scales.  I should have seen that coming but the fact I didn't gives the writer props.  Great story and action. I would like it better if they'd take out all the sex. But it's a good read and I would recommend it.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 01:04:29 PM »

Thunderbolts (2016) #1
Titans Hunt #6, 7
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 12:15:53 AM »

Thunderbolts (2016) #1
Titans Hunt #6, 7

I'm looking forward to that Thunderbolts comic.  Let us know if it's good or not.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 03:30:17 AM »

Finished the She Hulks and Manhatten Projects.  Man! I was not expecting that ending in Manhatten Projects.  I'm kind of sad now.   Cry

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 12:36:12 PM »

Thunderbolts (2016) #1
Titans Hunt #6, 7

I'm looking forward to that Thunderbolts comic.  Let us know if it's good or not.

It was your basic first issue giving a little history and setting up new headquarters. I like the art and the characters and definitely getting the first arc.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 08:41:25 PM »

Thunderbolts (2016) #1
Titans Hunt #6, 7

It was your basic first issue giving a little history and setting up new headquarters. I like the art and the characters and definitely getting the first arc.

I liked the art a lot more than I thought I would, which was pleasant. The story however? Well, Rodney and I just disagree on a little here. While I am not trying to blast anyone's writing, this was pretty badly written (Huh? Maybe I am trying to blast it?)
 Cheesy
Seriously though, it was pretty rough. It was a very ... ya know ... let me just say I didn't enjoy the book but am shocked the art wasn't the reason. I am not a fan of this artist ... nor his mentor's styles (Liefeld), so was kinda happy that aspect didn't weigh me down as much as the very bad, and very scattershot writing.

Again, just my onion. If you enjoy it that is great!!
 Cool

This book should exist, the reason this is the team ... makes no sense. And yes, I read the 2 or 3 part Kobik Happy or Pleasant Hill mini-event. This team-up still baffles me. I know "why" they are together, but no, I don't know "WHY" they are together.

Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS