HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 04:58:12 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: SPIDER-MAN  (Read 14361 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: April 25, 2016, 02:00:18 PM »

Just an "Amazing" comic from top to bottom.

I have not felt like I was reading a "Spider-Man" book for years until this title hit my hands.

Now I never read the Ultimate version of this character (that is to say I never read this character when he was in the Ultimate Universe, because this IS the Ultimate version of this character  Cheesy), so I can't say that the title was just as enjoyable at that time or not, but all the things that made Peter a great character is here, yet squared to be even more. This poor kid not only has to deal with High-School and all the stuff that comes with that, but he has racial stuff to deal with as well. Not racial as in 'racist', though I am sure he has had to deal with that as well, but all the things that come from different races ... I mean, he is a child of a mixed relationship (his father is black and his mother Latino) so he has to deal with racial factors of those two races as well as the mix of the two.

It is just a really well done book. Funny, frustrating and poetic at times this is like reading Amazing Spider-Man back in the early 80's for me.

I highly recommend this title. It is not an all fighty-fight type of title, but it is a must read. Period. If you ever loved Spider-Man not because of who he fought, but because of who he was, this is the title for you.

Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 11:50:11 PM »

This is Miles Morales title, correct? I believe you are talking as such about him here. NO way you could be heaping this kind of praise on a Slott book!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 01:38:00 PM »

This is Miles Morales title, correct?

Yes, that is correct

NO way you could be heaping this kind of praise on a Slott book!!

Yes, that is correct

Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 10:00:30 PM »

Found a beat up copy of Spidey Masterworks at the library yesterday, flipped through and but put it back. Now, all day today, I can't stop thinking about it.  Grin Just got home and decided I wanted it. Of course the library is closed but will try and hit it up tomorrow. Suddenly have an urge to read old Spidey again. Really want to check out issues 101 to 113 for a start. 101 is right when Roy Thomas jumped on, after Stan Lee left the book ... by making Pete have six arms  Cheesy "Here Roy, you deal with this"
 Cheesy
and you though Bendis left Brubaker in a bind with Daredevil?
 Grin

Worse case I will go find what Essential those issues are in and snatch that up.

Yeah, I don't have too much to read already so why not, right?
 Cheesy

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 11:39:23 PM »

$70 to MCU will get you almost every spidey book ever published and you dont even have to leave the house Smiley

marvel should pay me for how much i promote MCU Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 12:33:55 PM »

Grin
I hear ya.

I have a Fathers Day code I may use and get that, finally. Especially, like you implied, if I am going to start reading older Marvel stuff anyway. I mean, $60 is only the cost of 7.5 highly discounted Marvel Essentials ... and MU is in color
 Cheesy

Yeah, I may just break down and do that. I really want to read those early issues after Lee left the writing chores to someone else. Love the guy, but never been a fan of his writing, even though he was perfect for what Marvel had to have back then. Hell, he and a couple of talented artists were Marvel back then
 Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 04:16:04 PM »

I enjoyed the first issue. A much better example of how to Peter Parker a character than what has been shown in Nova so far.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 04:21:26 PM »

Oh, yes, and it only gets better.

This character is so good. So very good. Waid writes him perfectly as well.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 01:51:15 AM »

It'll make me mad that the Spider-man I want to read isn't going to be Peter Parker. Damn you Slott. YOu know he's almost been writing Spider-man comics for 8+ years?!  and all I am is indifferent to disinterested in the totality of that run? That's sad (well sad for me, I guess.  Undecided

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 01:05:54 PM »

I can see your (and many others) point, hell, you know I am no Slott apologist as I have jumped off and on his Spider-Man more times than I take pain killers, and that's a lot  Cheesy Hell, I once jumped off his Spidey one issue after praising an issue. I can't remember the issue now, haha, shockingly, but yeah, praised an issue and then the next was so damn bad I just had to drop the damn thing. So yeah, I get it.

What I don't get, with his particular current run, is people complaining about all the questions. Asking with bad intent - "How do these clones remember their past?" (and the like) after only one issue of this arc? Since when are comic readers so damn needy of the answers at issue 1? What happened to letting the story play out and then see what was done and judge that?

Look, I was totally befuddled by the response to issue #1 of Clone Conspiracy. And I mean by virtually everyone I know or listen to or watch  Grin...  even my boy Dave who likes Slott's stuff gave me a hard time. Bottom line, I thought it was fun. It harkened back to an older time and I guess people see that as dated? I don't know, I just know I had fun reading it and had fun reading the recent Spider-Man #20 as well. Was part of that fun seeing
Doc Oc in his old ass uniform and those stupid glasses  Cheesy
You bet your ass  Cheesy, but what is wrong with that? Is this Brian K Vaughn? No. But I found it entertaining. That is all. And that is what I want.

Now I am not talking to you here, Jimmy, I know you have not read this stuff yet ... and you may not ever read it (Or you may read it later and think "what the hell was Perry thinking? He liked this shit?"  Cheesy), but even with Slott's history (which yes he has some bad, but he has some real good ones too), I don't understand the attack here (not here, but out there), with this arc.

But enough of that Spidey. Yes, this Spidey is so good !!!!
  Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 07:39:50 PM »

Sorry for the derailment, but yes, Miles is doing okay for me for now!

I know there are many Hulks out there, Bat people, Super people, even Captain people, but man, Spider-man (for me) is so singular that seeing anyone else out there as him waters him down in such a way that I don't like it.

But, good characterization and decent writing help to wear down that thinking. Off to issue 2!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 02:33:49 AM »

IN a randomness factor, reading the THOR thread, then prior comments here, from me too-brings up something that is bugging me (what else is new?)

TOO MANY SPIDER-MANs!!

But wait, let me clarify, to show my true ire.

TOO MANY DAMNED PETER PARKER SPIDER-MANs!!!!

Seriously, there are THREE of them running around!! Peter, Ben Reilly, and Kaine!! They are all out there! They are all fundamentally PETER.

I mean, there was Peter, then Miles became a huge hit, then came SILK who no one gives 2 shits at all about, then SPIDER-GWEN because it's kitschy or whatever, brought Spider-man 2099 from the future cuz he looks cool and everyont liked him-then made him lame and boring ((and Spider-woman is pre-empted from this as she was never originated within the Spider-man universe of books)), but more PARKERS out there?!! There are 3 people currently calling themselves Spider-man!! At least Ben and Kaine think that's stupid!!

Don't even get me started on that Spider-nexus of worlds bullsh!t. Who the hell thought Peter being married was too far away from the core of the character? Traveling multi-dimensions with other Spider-men as their prime mover/shaker, and being a multi-millionaire tech global genius somehow is normal, after having come back to life while being stored as memories in a drone? Pfft. Being married was small fries.

Sorry, quick rant over!! Continue on folks; nothing to see here!!   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 01:09:14 PM »

I agree. Get rid of some of those spidey peeps.

Silk - BOOM! Exploded
Kaine and Ben - Melt away to goo and wash down the sewer drain (god that is a horrible book)
Spidey 2099 - Well, he is gond in a onth or so so ... yeah ... bye-bye
Peter, M.J and the little Spidey - No interest in this fan appeasement book. Give us the real MJ/Peter and I will be there.
Spider Gwen - Actually ... I want to read that book. I like the art style and like the fact the creative team has been the same for both volumes. On a different Earth like a lot of Spidey folk, but yeah, I will get to this someday.

So in my view, give me the following (large as it is cast) and just let it ride -

Amazing Peter (not the Stark version)
Spectacular Miles (don't need two Peter books again, just write Peter like Peter in the one title)
Spider Jessica (really enjoyed that Spider-Woman title and the mother factor)
Spidey "not dead" Gwen (Just for the reason I stated above)
 Smiley

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 03:55:47 PM »

Silk - not a bad book or character...had some nice interaction with Black Cat but not enough to support a book....gone
Kaine and Ben - I am a fan of Kaine and feel he makes a good anti-peter/dark spider...let him embrase "the Other" and all its varying power to help separate him from being just another peter.  Keep him on the dark/mystic side, fighting with/against morbius and other dark corner character.  or maybe give him the symbiot on top...we get a new Venom and the symbiot gets a PP he can bond with which is all it ever wanted in the first place.  Ben can go back to goo or just keep him as the new jackel...i'd be ok with that but make him full on evil
Spidey 2099 - always enjoyed but he didnt work in modern times...i prefer him in 2099
Peter, M.J and the little Spidey - No interest...read the mini...they might have had me if the kid was May...no interest in Ana
Spider Gwen - its a fun/quirky book but keep it separate, no more dimension hoping, build her world/characters in their own way as the prime folks are all there but not like our versions...could be fun to continue but not mandatory reading

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »

Silk - not a bad book or character...

You are the first I hear say that, but I am glad someone is actually digging it.  Smiley
I have never tried it, honestly never desired to, so I can't speak of it other than to say I just can't read it to see if I would like it or not when I have so many other comics on my list that I want to read first/more
 Undecided

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS