HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:45:54 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "What I read this week..."  (Read 44631 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2016, 09:06:39 PM »

Well as I still await Jeff's answer  Wink (busy busy busy Jeff)  Wink ...

My reading for the past week of 3/9/16 to 3/15/16:

Agents of SHIELD #'s 1, 2 and 3 - Tried again, after not enjoying the first issue the first time around. Nope Yuk
Iron Man #7 - Still a good read, but Deadato went a little too heavy with the black again (he seems to be doing that a lot)
Spider-Man #2 - Really liking this Spider-Man. Who needs Amazing when you have this?
Mockingbird #1 - Tried this on a whim and got hooked. Another winner. On the AntMan/Spider-Woman edge, but not as funny.
Vision #5 - THIS BOOK IS STILL AMAZING !!!!!!!!

Batman & Robin Eternal #23 - Eh ... just waiting for this to end
Detective #50 - Extra-size doesn't count when you fill the pages with "pin-ups". Bullshit thing to do, though they were cool.
JLA #s 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 - I still wait for this to get ... not 90's. Blue Superman is just killing me
and
Jeff Leob and Tim Sale's three Halloween intro's (the three books before Long Halloween) 1993's Choices, 1994's Madness and 1995's Ghosts - Decided to go back and read Long Halloween (as I don't remember reading it, when I know I did.  Angry ) But figure I would start at the very beginning ... even though those three books have nothing to really do with Long Halloween, I thought it would set the tone.
 Smiley

Man, I didn't read one single Image or other publisher this week. Just stayed with DC and Marvel.
Hmmm, need to change that for next week.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2016, 10:28:22 PM »

Judge Dredd Day of Chaos: The Fourth Faction TPB - Finished

What is that originally from? Does it say? Is it the most recent IDW stuff or some older (or newer 2000AD stuff?)

Sorry!  I thought I had already replied!

It's from mainly the 2000AD book as far as I can tell.

Day of Chaos: The Fourth Faction (February 2013, ISBN 978-1-78108-108-2) collects:
"The Skinning Room," art by Ben Willsher, in 2000 AD #1700–1704 (2010)
"Hot Night in 95," art by Staz Johnson, in Judge Dredd Megazine #307–308, 310 (2011)
"The Further Dasterdly Deeds of PJ Maybe," art by Colin MacNeil, in 2000 AD #1740–1742 (2011)
"Nadia," art by Ben Willsher, in 2000 AD #1743–1749
"The Fourth Faction," art by Henry Flint, in 2000 AD #1750–1751
"Elusive," art by Henry Flint, in 2000 AD #1753–1758

Vol 2 is called:  Day of Chaos: Endgame but I don't have that one.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:11:42 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2016, 10:33:41 PM »

Huck #4-I think I could probably buy exclusively from Mark Millar titles as long as he isn't screwing around with Marvel characters.
Deathstroke 15 (or whatever)-Such a 90s Image title. Ha! Cheesy But probably not going to follow it to Rebirth
Aquaman #49-Ugh to the suit redesign. I dug the content of the writing though. I miss the pretty boy art of Reis for the depiction of Arthur. I want a surfer/California dude who doesn't know how hot or cute he looks. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2016, 07:33:13 PM »

Week of 3/9 - 3/15

Judge Dredd Day of Chaos: The Fourth Faction TPB - Finished
Fade Out TPB Vol 3 (Collects issues 9 - 12) - The conclusion to the series. - Finished

Starting this week:

Week of 3/16 - 3/22

Rasputin Vol 2 TPB - Collects Rasputin #6-10.
Invincible Vol 22 TPB - Collects Invincible #121-126
Sidekick Vol 2 TPB - Collects Sidekick #7-12

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2016, 01:31:50 PM »

Are you guys reading anything on MU now? I know Wringer is, but not sure of anyone else?

I failed at trying to read more Indy type books this past couple days, but hope to get some in soon  Undecided

So far, for the week of 3/16 to 3/22

Legends of Tomorrow #1 - Actually only part of it. Had to stop reading the Firestorm story but did read the Sugar and Spike story as I had never read them, or the older version of them, so wanted to see what it was about. It was about okay, not great.
 Cheesy
Hoping I saved the best for last as I was really wanting to read the Metal Men and Metamorpho stories the most anyway.  Cool

Guardians of the Galaxy issue #s 4, 5 and 6 - This is now off my reading list. Just nothing good happening. Not bad, just nothing.
All-New X-Men #6 - I keep trying to not read this and it keeps ending up in my hands. Not good, but getting better
Extraordinary X-Men #8 - Same for this. I just want to relive my X-Men love and ... damn it, just not happening, except in Uncanny
Old Man Logan #3 - Pretty good issue. Nothing wrong with this creative team for sure.
Power-Man and Iron Fist #2 - This issue was good, but slid into the "Batgirl'ing" side and I am saddened by this  Sad
Spider-Woman #5 - I am done, but only because this was a perfect stopping point for this great comic. I've just too much to read.
Scarlet Witch #4 - Done. Sorry James, I like you, I do, but this has just faltered the last 2 issues.
Squadron Supreme #5 - Also done with this. Not bad, just not grand enough to hold onto. Well below Spider-Woman in fact
Infinity Entity #1 - Stopping and waiting for the next 3 weekly issues and read them all together. Need help with retention. Ha
International Iron-Man #1 - Internet blasting aside ("Google wasn't around in 1998") this was an okay first issue and will go deeper into that Adopted Iron Man story that I hope either gets wiped or I at least grow to understand it, if not like it.

And Jimmy, and this is from another thread so I apologize ... but I forgot to post it there ...  Grin Cheesy
There is nothing wrong with your current love of DC's Green Archer, buddy. Glad you are digging his vibe  Grin Cheesy. I just finished that Justice mini and I loved him in that. Even though his roll was a small one. I love THAT GA. Even before Long Bow (which I also love), I liked the green curmudgeon. I don't like sexy greeny, but hey, I have other options.
 Smiley
I am trying to think if I even have a character that is hitting for me like he is for you and sadly I can't think of one. Other than Dr. Doom, Silver Surfer and the rest of the FF family which has been a mainstay for me for years, I currently have no true character that rises to the top for me like he does for you. I am jealous of that, buddy. Truly.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2016, 06:02:39 PM »

Man, I love 'Justice' and 'Cry for Justice' as the way to show Oliver Queen, the Green Arrow. No argument from me at all.

With whatever Rebirth is doing right now, I'm fine with pretending that Lemire's and Percy's work on Green Arrow is what happened before he became the goateed crank we love. In my mind, I've mooshed those characters together to make one very cool mythology. Cool

That said, I just read Grell's Green Arrow volume 4 'Blood of the Dragon' last night.

This trade was pretty good! Albeit a very quick read. Grell did far more with saying less, and just letting a young Dan Jurgens just pencil fights, wall scaling, invasions, and horrible events as Ollie goes to help Shado, a woman he feels such a mysterious connection to that he can never say 'no' to her. Great work of this Ollie's history, going back through the 28 issues of this run, plus The Longbow Hunters. (Also, I believe this is the first appearance of Conner Hawke as well. Wink ).

But, a very quick read. I love that this was so rather revolutionary, as there really isn't a secret identity for Oliver, there is blood, and killing (and regret and agony over that), and it's about consequences to actions. It doesn't have the same depth that someone like Ellis or Hickman would give to a situation, but comics then had to be written...I'll say quicker and faster then. By that, I mean you had to hit every issue on all cylinders and keep it moving; not that they didn't have time to write.

This volume also had Ollie met Morgan the Raider aka The Warlord! I highly enjoyed how they got played off of each other for how identical they looked. Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2016, 06:04:55 PM »

OH yeah, MU situation....

I'm behind on 2-3 Star Wars titles right now, sitting in my library (including 2-3 issues of Lando, Perry! Smiley

But, this is the time of year of the stalled Secret Wars titles. Waiting for more SW prime issues to come out, but I did read the final issue of Planet Hulk, and yeah, I was satisfied to see the ruin that hit everyone's life in that written manor. Well done.

But, I've been doing a lot of reading still with Deadpool, so there's that. Almost caught up to Gail Simone's run! I loved that!!! Still kept that in my comic form!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2016, 08:16:42 PM »

Week of 3/16 - 3/22

Rasputin Vol 2 TPB - Collects Rasputin #6-10.
Invincible Vol 22 TPB - Collects Invincible #121-126
Sidekick Vol 2 TPB - Collects Sidekick #7-12

Change of plan this week since my shipment came in on Friday.

Week of 3/16 - 3/22
Justice League #48 - my comments:  http://www.herorealm.com/hrboards/index.php?topic=6968.0

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2016, 08:23:41 PM »

As for MU - I'm stuck in 2014 if you can believe that.  I think I put too much in my library and I've been trying to keep up with them as released.  I do try to read some when I'm caught up with my floppies.  I'm hoping to push through as summer approaches.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2016, 01:20:00 PM »

Week of 3/16 - 3/22
Justice League #48 - my comments:  http://www.herorealm.com/hrboards/index.php?topic=6968.0

Forgot to add these for the week of the 16th.

Flash #49
Grayson #17
Titans Hunt #6

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2016, 01:25:29 PM »

Week of 3/23 - 3/29

Walking Dead #151 - good Dwight story and interesting considering where we are on the show.
Legends of Tomorrow #1 - I got through the Firestorm story but still have to read the Sugar & Spike, Metamorpho, and Metal Men.  Will try to read them today.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2016, 03:16:07 PM »

Week of 3/23 - 3/29

Legends of Tomorrow #1 - I got through the Firestorm story ...

You are one up on me then. I couldn't make it  Sad Sad

I have only read about 8 Marvel titles since my last post and no other new comics. I have been burning through older stuff like Batman: Long Halloween, about 7 issues of Back Issue (including issue #68, the Legion special!!!  Wink) and also getting set to read Morrison's Batman from point a (Batman #655) to point b (Batman Inc v2), so I decided to read Batman from #626 on. Ya know, to get a feel for what was going on prior to Morrison's stuff.

Oh, and I totally gave up on Morrison's early JLA stuff. I may try to jump back in around issue 30 or so, but man that was just some brutal early stuff. From having to deal with "Electric Blue" Superman, that not so great Porter art style, to that 90's color over-saturation, I just couldn't take anymore. I may try again later, depending on how Bat's does for me.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2016, 11:32:39 PM »

Been catching up on a bunch of those free issues on Comixology I downloaded ages ago and never read.  Just finished Anti-Hero #1 and immediately added issues 2-10 to my downloads.  Not only is it off to a great start (a mix of super hero and crime comics) each issue is only 99 cents!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2016, 04:09:03 AM »

Finished Anti-Hero 1 - 10.  Quick read written by Jay Faerber.  Nothing "new" or epic here but a fun little read.

Also Descender 7 & 8 - it feels great getting back into the comics I love!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:31:23 AM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2016, 11:57:12 AM »

Finished Anti-Hero 1 - 10.  Quick read written by Jay Faerber.  Nothing "new" or epic here but a fun little read.

I really like Jay Faerber's writing. Did you try his "Secret Identities" that he co-wrote?

HERE is a brief description.
I was so hoping that it would get picked up for more issues (only lasted the original 6 or 7) but it was a good little romp with an old comics feel and had some nice turns. Hoping for more later.

EDIT - As for my reads for the past couple weeks, I've been reading mostly Batman (Long Halloween and Grant Morrison's run ... including the mega crossover "The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul") as well as digging in on some Twomorrow's stuff. I haven't read any new comics in about two weeks I think.

Nice to get back to the old stuff from time to time I guess Smiley
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:15:02 PM by Perry » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS