HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 01:15:20 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "What I read this week..."  (Read 44648 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 01:42:03 PM »

Got through Ninjak #'s 10 and 11 and ... not my favorite to say the least. Very ... metaphysical, cryptic arc about going to Deadside. I mean, I like it okay for that very reason, but maybe I was just tired.
 Cheesy

Also read Weirdworld #3 as one of my LCS owners told me it got better at issue #2 and that I should give #3 a try. When I return the book to him I am going to slap his hand and give him a stern look while saying - "No, Tom. No. Never do that to me again!"
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 09:54:35 PM »

I wrapped up the week of 1/13 - 1/19 with only these:

Finished:
House of M #4
Thors #4
Ultimate End #5
Secret Wars #7
Secret Wars #8
Doctor Strange #2

Will try to read though these this week but I'll be out of town Friday - Sunday so I might not make any progress.
Doctor Strange #3
Extraordinary X-Men #1
Extraordinary X-Men #2
Extraordinary X-Men #3
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 09:57:29 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 05:24:03 PM »

WEEK 1/20 to 1/26

Marvel
Wolverine #4 - Still good
Guardians of Infinity #2 - May stay on this after all. Need to re-read #1 now  Cheesy
Captain Marvel #1 - Just not for me. Okay, but not at all "special". For me at least.
Darth Vader #'s 14 & 15 - The end of Vader Down arc. Good stuff.
Star Wars #'s 14 & 15 - Continues to rock!!!
Red Wolf #2 - Ha, liking this a lot. Really more than I expected after issue #1. I'm on!!
Scarlet Witch #2 - Another surprise title. Robinson is back baby!!!
All-New X-Men - Kinda waning on this one. May be the first X book cut
Uncanny X-Men #'s 1 & 2 - Even with Land's art, there is some meat here. Pretty damn good. Monet is great
AN-AD Avengers #3 - Waid is finally finding his voice here I think. After a slow start, getting better.
S.H.E.I.L.D #1 - Taking time to put the periods in this acronym took more time that I spent reading this. Guggenheim!!

DC
Batman #48 - This title ... I like it, I just do. I'll leave it at that.
Batman & Robin Eternal #16 - Man, this one feels like it is dying. Only ten more issues though right?

Others
Just started Judge Dredd #1

You guys on MU are going to have some great stuff heading your way. Please give some of these titles the ole "3 issue tryout" as I think you, like me, will be surprised by the time you get to issue #2 on a lot of the new stuff Marvel is putting out. Even though a lot of the new titles won't live past #12, if that, there is good stuff to be had.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 03:05:24 AM »

WEEK 1/20 to 1/26

Secret Wars 9
Doctor Strange 3

Yeah not much this week.  Doctor Strange is losing my interest. Not sure if it's the art or the story but I'm not getting into it.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 12:40:23 PM »

Doctor Strange is losing my interest. Not sure if it's the art or the story but I'm not getting into it.

A little of both for me. I don't think the art is helping the good Dr as much as I had hoped. When I first heard that Bach was to be the artist, I imaged how cool it would be to see his take on the other dimensions and other worldly places, yet with the first story being set in New York or in the confines of the Sanctum, I find it more constricted and, due to the very art style I was looking forward to, very confusing most times more than anything  Undecided  Sometimes it is hard to see what Bach wanted us ... or at least me ... to see. Background items blend in with foreground action too many times. This is the one comic I don't think I would have minded being 90% splash pages as it would have giving Bach more room to show his stuff. His X-Men stuff was never this hard to separate for me, not sure why it is here.
 Undecided

On top of that, add in a story that is, shall we say, not as prize winning as it could be, and I understand exactly what you mean.

And no, that is not being "negative", it is just being truthful 
Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 04:56:18 PM »

Nah - I don't see that as negative.  Sometimes it just doesn't work.  Aaron is still one of my favorite writers but this is clearly not his best work.  I think your right on Bach as well.  If he had more space it might be better but since I'm not a fan of his anyway, this confined story isn't helping him.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 12:15:18 PM »

One thing before I get started with the list so far for this week, I seemed to remember typing something earlier so I went back and sure enough, I screwed up. I had stated a few posts ago that I had read issue #3 of Weirdworld due in no small part to one of the shop owners advise. That was suppose to be Black Knight #3. That is the book he suggested and the book I read, but for some reason, probably because the book is set in Weirdworld and it is a major plot point to the title, I put down Weirdworld #3. My apologies for the confusion. It was/is Black Knight #3 that I want to slap around the owner for telling me it was better, not Weirdworld ... which just put out issue #2 last week I think.

Anywho ...

WEEK OF 1/27 - 2/2

Grayson #16 -
♫ BA BOW BOW ♫ ♪  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Almost half the F'n issue is sung to the tune of Goldfinger!!! As soon as you see that "Ba Bow Bow, you hear that damn horn and the song kicks in
  Cheesy Cheesy
GL Corps: Edge of Oblivion #1 - Pretty decent, but not reading more yet. Will wait.
Red Sonja #1 - Wow, was so hopeful but typical Dynamite art killed the hell outta any possible enjoyment. Ugh
Weirdworld #2 - A very crazy F'n comic that someone here should really enjoy. Like Thor crossed with Monty Python
Extraordinary X-Men #4 & #5 - Weeeellllll, man, can Greg Lands X title be the best X title? This arc was ... okay
Silver Surfer #1 - I can see why this gets the love, but Dr. Who isn't the Silver Surfer I want. And that's fine Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 02:17:13 PM »

Doctor Strange is losing my interest.

I just read issue #4 and at least this issue was pretty good. Not good enough to keep buying the title when you have MU  Wink, but if this is your final issue, at least it finishes strong until you can get back.
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 06:09:10 PM »

Well that's good. It's the next issue on my stack to read this week.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2016, 01:48:29 PM »

WEEK OF 1/27 - 2/2

Grayson #16 -
GL Corps: Edge of Oblivion #1 - Pretty decent, but not reading more yet. Will wait.
Red Sonja #1 - Wow, was so hopeful but typical Dynamite art killed the hell outta any possible enjoyment. Ugh
Weirdworld #2 - A very crazy F'n comic that someone here should really enjoy. Like Thor crossed with Monty Python
Extraordinary X-Men #4 & #5 - Weeeellllll, man, can Greg Lands X title be the best X title? This arc was ... okay
Silver Surfer #1 - I can see why this gets the love, but Dr. Who isn't the Silver Surfer I want. And that's fine Smiley

ANAD Avengers #4 - Still getting better, but wondering if I want to stay on. It's just missing that "wow"  Undecided
Doctor Strange #4 - Best issue yet. Hopefully this will turn this puppy around
Spider Woman #'s 2 & 3 - Should be the first issues you guys read when this title hit's MU. Awesome  Cheesy
Ultimates #3 - Really impressed. This is F.F mixed with early Authority. Rapidly climbing up the ranks
Vision #4 - Another stellar issue involving Vision's family. Vision is a backdrop almost, but damn this is good.
Extraordinary X-Men #6 - Just another "okay" comic. I get done, I think "okay, I read it" and I move on. Eh
Old Man Logan #1 - Hard to believe that the person writing Old Man Logan here is the same guy writing Old Man Logan in Extraordinary X-Men. They are like two totally different people as the stories are totally different in tone. I guess that is cool, but this title is so much better written for me. And of course having the same creative team here that was on the very good run of Green Arrow certainly helps. Just love the art. Fits perfectly here.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 01:56:02 PM »

WEEK OF 1/27 - 2/2

Grayson #16 -

ANAD Avengers #4 - Still getting better, but wondering if I want to stay on. It's just missing that "wow"  Undecided
Doctor Strange #4 - Best issue yet. Hopefully this will turn this puppy around
Spider Woman #'s 2 & 3 - Should be the first issues you guys read when this title hit's MU. Awesome  Cheesy
Ultimates #3 - Really impressed. This is F.F mixed with early Authority. Rapidly climbing up the ranks
Vision #4 - Another stellar issue involving Vision's family. Vision is a backdrop almost, but damn this is good.
Extraordinary X-Men #6 - Just another "okay" comic. I get done, I think "okay, I read it" and I move on. Eh
Old Man Logan #1 - Hard to believe that the person writing Old Man Logan here is the same guy writing Old Man Logan in Extraordinary X-Men. They are like two totally different people as the stories are totally different in tone. I guess that is cool, but this title is so much better written for me. And of course having the same creative team here that was on the very good run of Green Arrow certainly helps. Just love the art. Fits perfectly here.

And on that Logan being different in each title thing ... I am wondering now if that is due to
Old Man Logan, the solo title version, being in a different universe than the one in Extraordinary, who I believe is Earth Prime?
I mean the differences just seem to large for anything else.

More titles. Been a heavy Marvel week, catching up from a couple weeks worth -

Daredevil #3 - Okay. An important issue to the overall story, but nothing really to see here.
Invincible Iron Man #5 - Another great issue. The art is great ... diggin' this book
Obi-Wan & Anikin #1 - Eh, okay, I guess. Nothing bad, I just hate young Anikin thanks to Christensen
Astonishing Ant-Man #'s 3 & 4 - The 2nd of my comedy titles yet just as good as the other. Really fun stuff.
Thor #3 - 8 months has supposed to have gone by since SW, but this just seems like the same story as before?
Squadron Supreme #3 - Ugh, Marvel must have made a mandate that half of the new titles must have a Weirdworld crossover before issue #5 because it seems like every other title I read is visiting that place. Okay, only 4 titles or so but still, what the heck guys? We will either like Weirdworld or we won't. You bashing us over the head will not help.
 Cheesy
I personally like Weirdworld, but man the crossovers ...
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 10:05:34 PM »

Well - unless I read something tonight or tomorrow it looks like another zero for me this week.   Angry

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 01:37:22 AM »

Well - unless I read something tonight or tomorrow it looks like another zero for me this week.   Angry

Shame, shame, shame  Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 04:46:28 PM »

Week of 2/3 to 2/9

Twilight Children (4 issue mini) Issues #'s 1, 2, 3 and 4 - I can't tell you how disappointed I was with this  Cry
Velvet #1 - Going back and re-reading to get caught up with the 13 issues.
Inhumans #3
Uncanny Inhumans #4

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2016, 09:50:24 AM »

Week of 2/3 to 2/9

Twilight Children (4 issue mini) Issues #'s 1, 2, 3 and 4 - I can't tell you how disappointed I was with this  Cry
Velvet #1 - Going back and re-reading to get caught up with the 13 issues.
Inhumans #3
Uncanny Inhumans #4

Only one book yesterday  Cry

Spider-Man #1 - Eh, it was pretty decent. I never read any of the Ultimate Universe stuff, so my first real interaction with Miles was Secret Wars. Of course there was too little of him in that to get a true feel, so I kinda went in here cold. Liked the opening shots and the ending  Wink but also liked how they set the family dynamic. Nice to read a Spidey book again, at least.  Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS