HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 07:01:38 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "What I read this week..."  (Read 44639 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2016, 12:22:48 PM »

Action Comics 49
Aquaman 49
Deathstroke 11
Black Canary 7

What a bunch of crap. No wonder they're re-writing the book on DC -yet again.

I've got Green Arrow 49 and Justice League 3001 to read yet-those are always good books (these days). I look forward to those.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2016, 05:28:33 PM »

Sadly Aguaman is indeed dreck. Just can't fathom how this writer is so bad with this character. His Sixth Gun was amazing (at least what I read of it), his Uncanny is fighting through Greg Lands art to be in contention for the best X book Marvel has right npow and Jimmy tells me his Sinestro is pretty damn good as well. Heck even his Woods looks to be very cool and he is getting praise for that horror book Harrow County (I tired it and it wasn't bad, but didn't dig the art so I bolted). How can he be just so bad here?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2016, 01:30:49 PM »

Week of 2/3 to 2/9

Doctor Strange #4 - last issue for me.  Just not what I had hoped it would be.
Extraordinary X-Men #1

Went to read issue 2 and realized I don't have it.  Somehow I ordered only issue 1, 3, 4, & 5.  I'll just go ahead and buy it in digital I guess.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2016, 01:57:39 PM »

Agree,  Undecided but issue #4 was better than the last three. I guess that is something. Something. And, kinda an important issue for the Magic side of things in the Marvel U. Or at least as much as it is tying in with Wanda's book anyway
 Smiley
Still, I totally get what you mean and I may just have to change avatars now.
 Cheesy

Extraordinary X-Men #1

Just really not into this one. Probably me least favorite of the X-Titles. Hope it hits better for you. Right now, with Old Man Logan only having one issue, I would probably rank them:

5 - Extraordinary X-Men - From the art (which I find sadly as distracting as I do in Dr. Strange), from the over all story, to the writing, this is the least successful of the lot for me.

4 - Young X-Men - I like Bagley, but for some reason his art here also kinda hits me wrong. It is a book about the "younger" X-guys, and I like the way he draws young peeps, but ... maybe just the story was not the greatest?

3 - Uncanny X-Men - Even Greg Lands copy-pasta couldn't hurt the first three issues of this title. Well, okay, it hurt, of course, but the writing and characters were strong enough to make this a pretty damn good title so far.

2 - All-New Wolverine - Not the greatest nor the most original story, but something about this book just hits for me. The art is perfect for the title and the writing is pretty well done. My favorite until Old Man hit.

1 - Old Man Logan - Though I hate to put it this high after only one issue as it makes the others look bad ... being beating by a title with just one issue, but this was just so well done from top to bottom. This issue takes place in the 8 months prior to the events in Extraordinary, at least that is what I was told, so that is why the Logan here is so different than the Logan in Extra. Again, so I am told. Regardless, as I will probably drop Extra anyway in a few, it matters not how different they seem to be.
 Smiley   

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2016, 01:21:48 AM »

Sadly Aguaman is indeed dreck. Just can't fathom how this writer is so bad with this character. His Sixth Gun was amazing (at least what I read of it), his Uncanny is fighting through Greg Lands art to be in contention for the best X book Marvel has right npow and Jimmy tells me his Sinestro is pretty damn good as well. Heck even his Woods looks to be very cool and he is getting praise for that horror book Harrow County (I tired it and it wasn't bad, but didn't dig the art so I bolted). How can he be just so bad here?

Something happened to cause Bunn to walk or leave the title. I'm not sure if it was pressure from higher up, or if Bunn's story got interfered with, but he said months ago his Aquaman was getting cut short. So, we all suffer for it. Sad

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2016, 01:21:10 PM »

Agree,  Undecided but issue #4 was better than the last three. 

Yes it defininately was. If you stay on and it keeps getting better I'll pick it back up in MU.

I finished the following last night:

Extraordinary X-Men 2, 3, 4, & 5
Walking Dead 150

Though it does have some issues, I didn't hate Extraordinary X-Men.  I like these characters and will pick up reading this in MU.

Walking Dead 150 was a bit of a disappointment.  I thought for sure it would make me regret switching to trades but instead only made me happy I did.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2016, 08:07:44 PM »

Though it does have some issues, I didn't hate Extraordinary X-Men. 

Oh I don't think it is "bad" as much as just ... okay. There is not enough meat with these potatoes, for me, but I am not a huge fan of some of the lineup either. Majik was okay back in the 80's, Forge has never done anything for me, Jean is just boring as she is like Prof X/ Betsy Braddock lite  Grin and Logan is so different here and prefer his "voice" in OML better.

But if you think this is good, I really think you will enjoy the others as well.  Cool

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2016, 10:20:02 PM »

Week of 2/3 to 2/9

Twilight Children (4 issue mini) Issues #'s 1, 2, 3 and 4 - I can't tell you how disappointed I was with this  Cry
Velvet #1 - Going back and re-reading to get caught up with the 13 issues.
Inhumans #3
Uncanny Inhumans #4

Only one book yesterday  Cry

Spider-Man #1 - Eh, it was pretty decent. I never read any of the Ultimate Universe stuff, so my first real interaction with Miles was Secret Wars. Of course there was too little of him in that to get a true feel, so I kinda went in here cold. Liked the opening shots and the ending  Wink but also liked how they set the family dynamic. Nice to read a Spidey book again, at least.  Grin

Forget to list the rest of this weeks, so before I start on today's comics ...

Sheriff of Babylon #'s 2 and 3 (May have to hold off on this until the 8 issues are done)
Batman & Robin #17 (still need to read last weeks #18 and this coming weeks #19)
Heavy Metal #272
Papergirls #5 - You almost can't read this brilliant, amazing book in any other way except trade. It is almost too damn deep and ... I LOVE IT!!!! As soon as they return from break and publish #6, I will just have to re-read 1-5 again, but I will enjoy the hell out of having to do that

Scarlet Witch #3
Captain America: Sam Wilson #'s 4, 5 and 6 (LOVE the Serpent Society!!!!!!)
Uncanny X-Men #3 - Still rising up the charts, getting close to being my fav X title ... almost  Grin
Guardians of Infinity #'s 1-3 - Nope, I was right, I am done with this  Undecided
Iron Man #6 - I am loving Doom for all the wrong reasons here!  Grin
Dr. Strange #5 - still better than the first 3, but ... getting stronger, but not a must read  Cry Tired of Steven sounding like Tony all the time
Vision  #4 - An ending that  .... WOW!!!

Also read the first issue of Avengers v3 again. The ole Busiek/Perez run. Man, that dialog is dated but loving this!!!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2016, 02:13:19 PM »

Week of 2/10 to 2/16

Nameless issues 1-6 (complete mini) - Started confusing as hell, then I was able to get an idea about what was going on, only to lose grasp on the entire thing by the end.
 Cheesy
Must re-read this soon to fully understand what was the reality  Wink

Batman/Superman #29 - Just on a whim ( shockingly I am kinda digging Taylor's Wolverine, so ...) I read this and damn it, now I have to go back and start this particular arc from the beginning. Not really a fan of what Tom Taylor did on Earth 2, but this was also pretty damn intriguing and the art was very nice.
Batman #49 - Yes, very "comic-booky" arc and ending, to say the least, but that is what these damn things are, right?  Grin

Wolverine #5 - Okay, gotta admit that this arc (Even though it is only five issues in) seems to be going on forever. Still enjoy it, but kinda looking forward to the ending now.
Old Man Logan #2 - Logan working through his list. Fun stuff and man, that art!  Cool
All-New X-Men #4 - Just like Extraordinary X-Men, I just don't care about this team like I want to. The story, also like Extraordinary X-Men, is also just ... blah. Nothing spectacular. Yes, hero fights villain, but there is little to no meat in this what so ever. I lasted through the first three issues, that first arc, but yeah, I'm done with this title. I'm good with the remaining X titles I read (O.M.Logan, Wolverine and Uncanny)
Contest of Champions #'s 1 and 2 - Yes, I'm back to this title again. Only because I heard a couple characters are in upcoming issues  Wink I will be in and out of this, as time and desire allows as I really have no desire to read fighty-fighty books based on mobile apps, but will jump in to see D or even E list characters from time to time like Joe Fix-it and Night Thrasher
 Grin
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 09:42:04 PM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2016, 10:48:40 PM »

Week of 2/10 to 2/16

Nameless issues 1-6 (complete mini) - Started confusing as hell, then I was able to get an idea about what was going on, only to lose grasp on the entire thing by the end.
 Cheesy
Must re-read this soon to fully understand what was the reality  Wink

Batman/Superman #29 - Just on a whim ( shockingly I am kinda digging Taylor's Wolverine, so ...) I read this and damn it, now I have to go back and start this particular arc from the beginning. Not really a fan of what Tom Taylor did on Earth 2, but this was also pretty damn intriguing and the art was very nice.
Batman #49 - Yes, very "comic-booky" arc and ending, to say the least, but that is what these damn things are, right?  Grin

Wolverine #5 - Okay, gotta admit that this arc (Even though it is only five issues in) seems to be going on forever. Still enjoy it, but kinda looking forward to the ending now.
Old Man Logan #2 - Logan working through his list. Fun stuff and man, that art!  Cool
All-New X-Men #4 - Just like Extraordinary X-Men, I just don't care about this team like I want to. The story, also like Extraordinary X-Men, is also just ... blah. Nothing spectacular. Yes, hero fights villain, but there is little to no meat in this what so ever. I lasted through the first three issues, that first arc, but yeah, I'm done with this title. I'm good with the remaining X titles I read (O.M.Logan, Wolverine and Uncanny)
Contest of Champions #'s 1 and 2 - Yes, I'm back to this title again. Only because I heard a couple characters are in upcoming issues  Wink I will be in and out of this, as time and desire allows as I really have no desire to read fighty-fighty books based on mobile apps, but will jump in to see D or even E list characters from time to time like Joe Fix-it and Night Thrasher
 Grin

Damn, new week already.

Okay, what I got in last night to finish off the week -

Batman & Robin Eternal Issues 17, 18 and 19 - Meh
Flash #48 - Same here ... Maybe even less than "Meh"  Sad

Red Wolf #3 - Don't get the hate. I like this book. Nice story and art
Ultimates #4 - Oboy, Cosmic stuff on a cosmic level!!!

Velvet issues 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 _ man I stayed away too long. Good stuff

Hope to do better this week, but I doubt it
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2016, 01:33:43 PM »

Week of 2/10 to 2/16

Ouch.  Another zero week for me.  I am going to try and finish off the floppy stack before my new shipment arrives tomorrow.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2016, 02:02:22 AM »

Week of 2/17 to 2/23

Batman & Superman #28 - Now I have to read #29 again to refresh myself on this 3 parter

Squadron Supreme #4 - Still pushing Weirdword
All-New All-Different Avengers #5 -  Vision is ... man  Cheesy haha some cut throat shit
Uncanny X-Men #7 - Forgot if I was still gonna read this so I did  Cheesy Better. Much better than before.
Avengers Stand-Off Welcome to Pleasant Hill - Didn't see that ending coming  Shocked Nice !!!
Power-Man and Iron Fist #1 - Was worried about the art at first, but this is such a well written and fun book, I got use to the look pretty fast and ended up enjoying it as well. Nice to have them "back together"  Wink

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2016, 03:12:22 PM »

Week of 2/17 to 2/23

Batman & Superman #28 - Now I have to read #29 again to refresh myself on this 3 parter

Squadron Supreme #4 - Still pushing Weirdword
All-New All-Different Avengers #5 -  Vision is ... man  Cheesy haha some cut throat shit
Uncanny X-Men #7 - Forgot if I was still gonna read this so I did  Cheesy Better. Much better than before.
Avengers Stand-Off Welcome to Pleasant Hill - Didn't see that ending coming  Shocked Nice !!!
Power-Man and Iron Fist #1 - Was worried about the art at first, but this is such a well written and fun book, I got use to the look pretty fast and ended up enjoying it as well. Nice to have them "back together"  Wink

Thinking of dropping back on my DC reading once the next issues come out as most of the creative teams will be off their books in the last two months (Snyder done at #50 but Batman is going on until #52 for example), so going ahead and starting to catch up on some of those "non-big two" titles I have been either falling back on or have yet to try. Starting early, sure, but hey ...
 Smiley

With that in mind -

Wonder Woman #49 - Just wanted to stop in and see what's going on. Can't wait for Bennett to take over  Wink
Batman & Robin #20 - Starting to really get streeeeeeetched out. 6 more issues?
Titans Hunt #5 - I think I missed issue #4 ... ? Need to go back and start over? Maybe?
Batman Superman #29 - A fast re-read of this part two, I read this already, but needed to read issue #28, part one, to get the ful story. Excited for part 3 !!!

Weirdworld #3 - Best issue yet. Really getting good. Haha. And funny. Glad I tried again.

Velvet issue #s 7, 8, 9 and 10 - Almost up to date on this great series
The Woods issue #s 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 - Other than a bumpy issue #2, this series is rocking. Similar to the Doctor Who episode where a hospital was transported to the Moon (good episode, watch it if you haven't  Wink), here we get a Prep School transported to an alien planet. The comic showcases around seven of those students as they head out into the woods to find answers, but are ill prepared for the dangers this alien world presents. Really cool book. Hope to be caught up to issue #20 over the next couple weeks!

Hope to get more in before this Wednesday!!!

EDIT -

The October Faction issues #s 1, 2, 3 and 4 - Steve Niles current ongoing. It's fine, with art typical of a Steve Niles story (art by Damien Worm ... very Ben Templesmith like). About a weird, ghosthunting type family. Will try to return to it later, but much more deeper or more fulfilling stuff out there that I want to hit/start/finish first. Not bad though.

The Woods #8 - Last issue left me hanging ... had to jump back in on this already 
Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 11:14:58 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2016, 02:02:09 AM »

Week of 2/17 to 2/23

Robin: Son of Batman 7
Teen Tians 15
Robin War 2
Morning Glories 49

Really disappointed in Robin War. I'm not sure what I was expecting but it fell flat for me.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2016, 12:15:07 PM »

40 issues of Deadpool from the 1997 volume. Nothing else in the past 3 weeks. Saved all the secret wars in my library to read later, but I haven't touched anything.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS