HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:29:23 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VISION  (Read 17294 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 14, 2015, 03:25:16 PM »

Tom King is ... yeah, okay ... KING!!!!

Let's take a peak at what this damn killer ass writer is putting out -
Grayson
Omega Men
Robin War (issue 1)
The Sheriff of Babylon
and
Vision, this little gem.

I have to admit, when I read Vision #1, I was ... taken aback to say the least. The story was nothing like I expected. Yes, the cover essentially told me I wasn't getting the Vision I was thinking I was going to get, but I looked past that and just knew that MY Vision was going to shine through. He did, in a way, but no, this Vision is nothing like what I was expecting. It took me out of the book a little.

I later went back and put my "expectation eyes" on the dresser and opened the cover and read issue 1 without prejudice, without my notion of what the comic was going to be and man did it hit me. I know I said somewhere on here how different this book was from what I was expecting, and I can't stress that enough, but yeah ... I dig this.

With this issue, going in with knowledge of how this book was going to be, I found myself enjoying it much more. You really have to put Vision ouot of your mind when you read this book. Don't think about him as the Avenger, think about him as a robot trying to be a person. Something I should have done to start with.

This book is more about his "family" anyway. Vision is not the star. Vision is here, but the story, while deeply set in his past, isn't about "him". It is about the family he created. His wife Virginia, his son Vin and daughter Viv. King draws out what Vision desires and places them inside these "creations" and it is really wild.

Okay, screw it, I hate give spoilers but I want you guys to go into this title, if you haven't already, with a little more insight into the style this book has. I don't want you to be shocked when you read it (I do, but ...) so I am going to give the story of issue #1 away, while also spoiling the last part of this issue. Trust me when I say that the spoilers are only the TIP of the ice-berg where this story is concerned. Yes, they are important, but the story is so much deeper than the spoilers. Think if you were a robot ... would you really want to be human?

Anyway ... read only if you want to ....

Issue #1 main spoilers (just the ending and just a quick recap ... warning ... l;ast chance to turn away ) --
After the viz kids return from school, being shit on by their fellow students, Virginia and the kids get attacked by Simon (Wonder-Man) William's brother, Grim-Reaper. Reaper guts Viv (the daughter) and goes after Vin (the son) causing Virginia (Mrs Viz) to beat the evil Grim-Reaper to death with a cookie sheet. Smashing his brains all over the place.
 Shocked
Yeah, right?
 Shocked indeed
Sooo, the issue ends with perhaps the best quote ever when Virginia says ... "Don't tell your father"
 Cheesy

Sooooo, yeah, not what I was expecting from my dear Vision book  Cheesy

Now, if you read that and that at least sounds ... interesting (if not something you WANT to read) ... you may want to stop there and not read what I am going to disclose about the ending of issue #2. Just wait. It is better when you see it in the comic, especially when compared to ME typing it  Cheesy

Issue #2 ending ... try to avoid ... just go buy the book or wait until it is on MU ....

Virginia, "wife/creation" of Vision, gets a package in the mail with a phone inside. It says play me, and it shows her digging a grave and putting Eric Williams (the Grim-Reaper she killed last issue) body inside and burying him. Someone "knows what she did this ...  Fall" (sorry for the bad horror movie reference) Grin

Wha ... what?  Shocked OH SHIT !!!  Cheesy (yeah, that's not making you want to read the spoiler is it?  Cheesy)

There is also great tension with the kids and school and you can tell, by what King writes in the back of the book about being a comic fan early in life and feeling like he had to hide his passion for comics, that a lot of his writing here is from past personal issues I think. Either way, he gets you drawn into his world rather heavily.

I am so sold on this guy now that I am off to try that Sherrif of Babylon now. With that, I will have no preconceived notions
 Cheesy

But for this title, while this book isn't Vision'centric, it is worth a look
BUY THIS BOOK!!!!!!!

9 outta 10 Non-stick Baking Sheets
 Cheesy

(Wringer, I know you are not buying any Marvel, and that's cool, but I think you need to find a way to read this title. You don't have to buy it, but go to the LCS and Byrne that biatch or get a friends copy or something. This is so "not Marvel" Haha)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 06:01:26 PM »

oh, i'll read it as i read almost all of Marvels output but it will be 6months from now when it hits MDU Smiley

always was a big fan of visions, even read his last series (Avengers IA) with was ok and let a lot of hanging questions so i am looking forward to this new take and will let you know what i think once i get there.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 07:57:39 PM »

And ya know ... I meant Jedi ... I'm an idiot.
But yeah, I figured you were going to read it.  Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 08:05:28 PM »

oh, i'll read it as i read almost all of Marvels output but it will be 6months from now when it hits MDU Smiley

always was a big fan of visions, even read his last series (Avengers IA) with was ok and let a lot of hanging questions so i am looking forward to this new take and will let you know what i think once i get there.

Same here.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 02:37:18 AM »

As I said, just whoa! I had no notions going in, and what a read! I love to be terrified of the Vision!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 02:51:08 AM »

Going to be a 12 issue run that ranks among the best.

Too bad we already got somewhat "story spoiled" by Marvel  Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 03:09:24 AM »

Going to be a 12 issue run that ranks among the best.

Too bad we already got somewhat "story spoiled" by Marvel  Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

HA!  Not this guy! I don't even read Marvel news anymore! Grin

All I know is that with so many books looking to be cancelled or replaced, many readers are ditching series known to be axed and are just making the problems worse!

So,I'm just sayingI have no clue as to what will happen. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 01:51:13 PM »

Well, we don't know what happens, as much as ... there is a character from this book on the cover of a new book. So while we don't know what happens in the book, we now know that ... this character ... will be around at the end of it.
Spoiled without being spoiled if ya catch me.
 Undecided

And I want the book that this character is on the cover of  Cheesy (yes, ending a sentence with an "of"  Undecided)

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 03:42:06 AM »

I'm only 2 issues in and so far it is really good.  looking forward to where this goes knowing only that there will be some interesting twists to come.

saw the "spoiler" and glad to see the character survives
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 03:37:25 PM »

saw the "spoiler" and glad to see the character survives

Me too, just wish I would have found out in Vision #12 that would be the case, instead of a book that is coming out 3 months from now  Undecided

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 06:12:46 PM »

Fortunately, I haven't started Vision yet and I haven't seen the spoiler.  Thanks for the heads up and hopefully I can avoid the spoiler until I read the whole thing.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 01:31:11 PM »

Fortunately, I haven't started Vision yet and I haven't seen the spoiler. 

Dude, have you hit this up yet? I haven't even seen it in your pile to be read?  Shocked

Vision issue #10

I tried so hard to wait to read these last 3 issues. Even though I put Vision #10 on my list it was from last week and I thought I could possible convince myself to skip it once again. Aaarrhhhh. Nope. The Force is strong in this one.
 Grin

This is going to be one of Marvel's best Hard Covers ever!!! I say this knowing that the last two issues could end up ruining the entire thing, but still, even if people have to look past the last two issues, this damn series is ... wow.

I secretly hope people are really not happy with King at DC, they release him from his contract and he can return to this, but I know that would only spoil a good thing.  Grin Nope, let this story play out so we can enjoy for years to come.
Instock Trades here I come!!!!
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 02:30:16 PM »

Fortunately, I haven't started Vision yet and I haven't seen the spoiler. 

Dude, have you hit this up yet? I haven't even seen it in your pile to be read?  Shocked

Not yet - was working through the Secret Wars Tie-Ins.  Hopefully I'll be able to hit it this week or next.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 01:14:00 PM »

So I just finished the last issue of a book that what will go down as one of my favorite comic runs, ever. I can't sum up my feelings on this, yet, but somehow, for some reason, what Tom King wrote in the letters page of this last wonderful issue sums up most of my feelings in one published thought -

"It never ends. Until it does, and when it does we wish it never had"

Cry

For me, I sit and can only miss what will never be; Vision #13. Tom King showed us a human side so powerful that I suppose it could only have come from an android. Damn I am so sad right now. But such greatness often ends in a tear, I suppose.

Undecided

WOOF

Vision 1-12
11 out of 10 - Synthezoid Families.
 Cry

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 11:44:40 AM »

Vision #9

I can't think of single better written issue in my recent years of reading.

Look, I've read some great and good comics in the past few years; no doubt. But issue 9 rocked me. Emotionally, it hurt. It made me suffer. It made me gasp and say a mental 'nonononono' along with Vin. It was such an issue of loss, infinite sadness, and hurt that I feel stunned in the completion of reading it.

For a character 9 issues old!!

Reading this family in this volume, it's hard not to see the fracturing of any family in America; Dad's busy, doesn't see the home problems. Mom is trying to hold it together, but she know she's falling apart, and feeling estranged from husband. Kids are dealing with it in ways that mirror real adolescents-in that they don't know how to. They are stumbling through things hurt, afraid, and lost.

This issue was scary as well. To see Victor (a drug addict, who doesn't know how far he's fallen, and also depressed?) a character I've known for a while, but in a whole different shade of personality from the smiling, non-Ultron guy he's supposed to be. And it fits.

The dialogue, told in a narrative from the future, is both scary and teling. Just wow.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS