HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:08:47 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your Legion of Super-Heroes  (Read 3637 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 11, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »

Just heard a podcast talking about this and thought I would ask it here.

What are your top 5 Legion members?

From Silver Age to present, if you like 'em, list 'em. I know there will be at least two 70's characters in at least two of the lists ... right, Jeff? HeeHee

Now if any of you young bucks are not really a fan of the Legion, I implore you to give them another shot. From the late 60's and early 70's issues or of course the 80's and its Great Darkness saga, there are so many cool stories with so many cool ass characters that you will have to fall for this team of all teams. I mean, I love my Perez New Teen Titans, but they are nothing when compared to THE LEGION of SUPER-HEROES !!!!!
 Grin

I'll be back soon with my list. I have my top four, but I want to really give the 5th spot a thinkee through.
 Smiley

EDIT -
Okay, here we go. First of all I want to give a shout out to my number six Legionnaire, the one that just missed the cut (Please feel free to do the same  Cheesy ... there are so  many great Legionnaires that it is hard to settle on five)

Just missed the cut - From the planet Braal ...

COSMIC BOY !!!!!

Have always liked him and the way he used his powers and in-fact, preferred him to Magneto when I was a young comic fan. Maybe just due to the fact he was a good guy while Mags was years away from being accepted into the X-Men (after being a mass murderer prior  Roll Eyes.....  Grin)

Now for my top five favorites

Coming in at number 5 - The master of disguise

5 - CHAMELEON BOY

My first shape-shifter. Yep, first character I ever saw use his powers of transformation. Blew my mind and was entrenched as a favorite from that point forward. Dude can be anyone! Anything! AWESOME!!!!

Now for a run on the female gender  Grin

4 - DAWNSTAR

This woman can track people through space! Space damn-it. That is crazy cool!!!

3 - SHADOW LASS

Darkness. One of the best defensive powers ever. Of course, seeing her on the offense was always fun as hell

2 - PHANTOM GIRL

Honestly, I have no idea why I love this character. Whether it was her amazing ... costumes  Grin that use to trigger something in my preteen urges or if she just looked like a girl I knew in school, she has always been in my top three and I really don't know why. Hell, she would be number one had one character not had looked so damn cool.
 Cheesy

1 - WILDFIRE

No surprise here. Dude had a look that no updated crap can match. One of Dave Cockrum's most excellent costume designs, and he has a good list to choose from. DC Needs to put this guy back in this costume damn it. First time I saw this great looking character I knew I would be hooked, I was just hoping he would somehow, someway, be able to connect with his love Dawnstar more than just a non physical way. Yeah damn-it, I wanted them to get busy. I'm sorry.
 Cheesy

There ya go, my top 5 Legion members. If you want a good resource for all your legion needs (as I am sure you spend many hours thinking about this fine group  Grin), be sure to check out this site HERE

I for one hope they return to glory some year!!!!!!
 Smiley
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 02:58:10 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 08:20:20 PM »

I easily came up with my top 10 and even my top 2.  I had to really think on who of the remaining 8 would make the 3 thru 5 spots but I'm happy with what I finally came up with.

So here is my 6 thru 10 as honorable mentions:

Mon-El
Chameleon Boy
Dream Girl
Timber Wolf
Ultra Boy

I could go into why I love these characters but this is a top 5 list so I'll skip it and move on to my Top Tier.

5 - FERRO LAD

The first Legionnaire to sacrifice his life for the others.  Not sure if I like him for what he actually did as much as the way he impacted the whole team and set the tone for future stories.  After his sacrifice no character was safe.

4 - BRAINIAC 5

I always liked this character because he had to use his brain instead of powers.  And ironically, with no powers, he's the most arrogant of the crew.  And then he fell in love with Supergirl.  I always thought that was cool that he had a chink in his armor when it came to her.  He is always fun to read and adds to every Legion story.

3 - ELEMENT LAD

And yes, the 70's costume is the one I like - not that pink thing.  A precursor in my mind to Firestorm he could transform things with his powers.  I always thought that was cool.  I also remember voting for him to be the leader the year he won (even though it took him forever to believe it).  Plus, green is my favorite color.

2 - DAWNSTAR

Yeah - probably was my favorite in the day because of the costume and I was a pre-teen.  But her interactions with my #1 added to her character and made her a favorite of mine to read even to this day.

1 - WILDFIRE

For all the reasons Perry listed.  Always loved his powers and his attitude which was tempered by Dawnstar.  Like Perry said, the original costume is the best and the more he's involved the better.  Wildfire is the coolest.  In fact, I think I'll go back to him as my avatar!

EDIT - Also - I love these little icons you found on that Legion page, Perry.  They are great.
EDIT2 - And oh yeah - Cosmic Boy was my #11
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:32:53 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 03:15:50 PM »

I easily came up with my top 10 and even my top 2.  

Top 10 ... cheater!!  Grin The hard part was finding the top five.  Cheesy
I don't blame you for throwing in more though, it is hard once you get past a certain point as there aren't many Legionaiarres I don't like ... not many. Hmmm, maybe a list of our bottom 3 should be next, yeah?  Grin

5 - FERRO LAD

Loved the one issue/arc ... and I can't remember what or when it was ... but someone (Yes, I can't even remember who did it) used his stone body and dropped him on someone to save the day. Do you remember that? Man it was great. Funny, but great.

2 - DAWNSTAR

Darn, I did post the wrong costume. Yes, this is the one (Looking back, I posted a couple wrong costumes  Angry)

1 - WILDFIRE

Had to be your number one. Had to be.  Grin

EDIT - Also - I love these little icons you found on that Legion page, Perry.  They are great.

Aren't they cool? Ha.  Cheesy I want to print them out and play paper dolls wit .... no, no, of course I don't want to do that. That would be silly. Ignore that sound in the background. That is not my printer, no, no.
 Cheesy

EDIT2 - And oh yeah - Cosmic Boy was my #11

Crap, now you're making me want to list them all. 
Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 05:51:41 PM »

I've always enjoyed the Legion, and I just don't have enough comics. I started with getting The Great Darkness Saga, and there is a lot of trades after that that I have on a list. But for me...

1. Brainiac-ALWAYS LOVED BRAINIAC.

2. Cosmic Boy: the leader, a tried and true hero, the guy you looked up to.

3. Ultra Boy -I just always dug the aspect of switching between his 3 powers at a time.

4. Sun Boy -big big powerful powers

5. Shadow Lass-cuz she does something for me. Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS