HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 11:50:58 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Super-Girl  (Read 19776 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 01:10:10 AM »

Been missing putting down my thoughts on each ep, but I can sum up:

-been getting better!
-Kara/Supergirl presentation is a strong core of the show and does very well by it
-Cat is a huge asset to this show
-Alex Danvers is not
-Hank has gotten better
-Not nearly as much defining Supergirl by how men treat her-good!
-Supergirl & Martian Manhunter flying together was so great! ! ! ! !
-James Olsen's character is a very confusedly written character. I've grown to really dislike him

And a Flash crossover to come!!!
I'm pleased right now

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 09:44:30 AM »

Can't believe I have to sit through another freakin' crossover!!! Leave my Flash alone!!!  Angry Angry He's bordering on too damn sticky icky for me as it is, especially with this West crap, adding even more young angst blended with after school special saccharine is not going to help my enjoyment one bit.
 Angry

I can't even watch the Arrow crossovers, so I miss half the story on those already.  Cry

Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 03:27:37 AM »

Caught up on Supergirl today.  I really like this show and my eight year old girl squealed out "This is the best show ever!"  Grin

I'm so glad we have a show that she loves and has a little girl power for her. Oh and her second favorite show is Flash.  Proud dad here.

Back to Supergirl, I really liked this Bizarro episode. I thought it was fun.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 02:08:02 PM »

I'm so glad we have a show that she loves and has a little girl power for her.

Absolutely !!!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2016, 02:59:58 PM »

"For the Girl Who has Everything"

I have to laugh that this "government" agency violates all civil rights, due process of law, and legal counsel to hold Max Lord because "he's a bad guy."  Cheesy

Or that protocol be damned to let in 2 random dudes to your top secret base without anyone stopping them to ask "who are you?"  Cheesy

I think what could be the downfall of this show is the overly forced drama coupled with intra-show inconsistency.

-Supergirl is delicate. She must be protected!
-Supergirl is amazing! She can do it all!
-I'm just looking out for you Supergirl; you obviously are lost without us.
-Supergirl can stand on her own; she doesn't need us to tell her that.
-Supergirl, I'm tell you that you can stand on your own. Wink

Also, the 'over-arching' picture of the prisoner Kryptonians diabolical plan is weak. It's truly comic book posturing, and that shows up as really weak.

I enjoy watching Melissa Benoist, her Kara/Supergirl can be a great character. I love watching her with Cat Grant. Great interplay, and rather natural. Winn also gets to be a mostly normal person.

But honestly? All of the rest of cast is pretty awful with what they are given. None more so than her sister. Whether its just the character writing, but that actor, in her role, that role itself, is just awful. Can't get past her.

Its just too ham-fisted all of the time. I really wish it was better. Makes me worry it won't get past it's first season missteps.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 03:07:41 PM »

Sorry to hear. It's nice to have a "super-hero" for the young ladies to look up to on the tv, though my grandson thinks differently.
Gross girls and all
 Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 03:20:21 PM »

Honestly? I think it's just fine for a pre-teen girl. I love that Jeff's daughter loves the show. It certainly fits the bill for the age group I think! But I'm not sure a 7 pm time slot for tweens will make the cut next season. Sad

I don't want more sex, or deserved sexual tension, or violence, blood, and death. I want consistency in the presentation of the human condition (friendships, relationships, actual normal reactions to situations), and if the drama would actually build from a natural flow instead of the over-hyped and sensationalized storylines they present.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2016, 06:59:20 PM »

I get ya.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2016, 08:45:28 PM »

Oh I bet it gets renewed.  I think its strong enough to warrant that.  At that point they can change out the side characters if need be.  Similar to what Agents of Shield did.

This show is exactly what I expected it to be and yet - I like it, a lot.   Grin

Doesn't hurt that Melissa Benoist is hot.  I love watching her every scene.   Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2016, 08:49:39 PM »

By the way - last episode with Laura Vandervoot was fun.  My kid has an autographed Supergirl photo for Vandervoot so that made it more fun for us.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2016, 01:12:13 PM »

Once again we are ahead of our time....

http://www.newsarama.com/28293-cbs-s-supergirl-renewed-for-second-season.html

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 12:27:04 PM »

LOL!  Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2016, 10:07:50 PM »

"Truth, Justice, and the American Way"

If I keep busy with some other work, I can really enjoy the eps a lot better. Grin

Does that sound like a put down? Kind of is, I guess. But this ep had plenty still of the Men telling Supergirl she should take a break, take it easy; because it's hard right now and you must be upset over a recent death and you're a girl, so you can't take stress.  Roll Eyes

At least Benoist always fires back with a strong retort, not one built on frustration or being upset, but one that comes from a core of strength that won't be denied-even in the face of writers each week. Cheesy

But I have this to say: I hate James Olsen. I don't like this character at all. He's a sexy know-it-all Yoda mentor to Supergirl that is lamely attempting to not get into her pants. Instead of picking her up when she's down, he continually defines what she is or what she should be. It's a hard line to say what you see in a person, versus what you want them to be.

I'm glad this ep really forced the analysis on illegal detention and incarceration though. Every super hero isn't complete without a base and an illegal prison!  Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2016, 08:39:50 PM »

I see your a little behind Jimmy.  I think you will like the "Falling" episode when you get to it.  One of the better ones I think but I do have one gripe I will save for when you get there.

As far as "Truth, Justice, and the American Way", I thought it was a decent enough episode.  I do agree that Olsen only drags the show down.  I think he needs to go back to Metropolis.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2016, 04:37:31 PM »

With some extra time here, went through 'Truth, Justice and the America Way', 'Solititude', and 'Falling'.

All in all, some pretty good moments and decent eps...but the bad really REALLY drags it down.

In 'Falling' the Senator says to J'onn, "I've been afraid of aliens my entire life." WHAT? What shitty writer puts that in? Good lord, what crap!!

Also, along with Arrow (and a bit with Flash), I hate the tech guy who is the most brilliant in the world. Wynn's ability to crack Kryptonian computer code/algorithms then make a virus to it in a few hours? This man should have been recruited by the greatest agencies in government or most prestigious computer jobs in the world. Instead he's the IT guy at a media company? C'mon, that kind of guy would be incredibly bored with that job.

Also (ranting!), the computer guy is now the ultimate MacGuffin on every show. Did Adam West have a computer guy? No, he had a belt he prepared every time he went out, trying to take into account every situation. Pure. West.

But, every hero needs their computer guy to get out of every situation. Bah.Annoys me. Whatever happened to our hero getting by on his guts and know how?

And man, do I love watching the Manhunter in action!!

Also, while it seems to work in comics, watching secret gov't organizations in tv do HORRIBLY BLATANT violations of human rights-against US law and Geneva codes!-really gets my goat. How could they take Alex against her will for experimentation? WHAT?! Lord comes to help and they inter him? WHAT? So poorly used in these shows. Nonsensical too.

I will say this, though. This show lives on the greatness of Melissa Benoist and Calista Flockhart. They are excellent, and excellent together. James Olsen -blah. Wynn-a little better, but I hate the tech genius stuff. Alex? Still a horrible a actress on this show. What a tough agent; she cries every episode instead of doing something worthwhile.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS