HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:42:56 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Transformers: A New Generation premieres in theaters September 13, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Super-Girl  (Read 19768 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 21, 2015, 01:21:02 PM »

Okay, yes I know that costumes outside in real life are not always the way they look inside that little box we call the tv, but ... let's just say I hope they use a lot of digital effects with this one from the new Super-Girl show.

Makes me feel for the poor guy.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 03:00:19 PM »

I will definitely check this up to 'well, will have to see it on the screen then.'  Cheesy Cool

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 01:54:55 PM »

Perry, I feel bad for not noticing before, but you're going to have to edit the thread name; none of the 'Super' characters are hyphenated. Wink

That said....

Ep 1 "Pilot"

And the show is here!!! It's the identical one leaked 4 months ago(I believe on purpose) after the disasterious 5 minute preview trailer that edited and cut like it was a weak episode of Dawson's Creek mushed into a Gilmore Girls style world.

I didn't have a chance to watch the ep at the time but here it is now. And I'm going to jump all over the place. That thing that stood out for me right away was:

Exposition
Holy cow, this ep was all exposition!! From the beginning narration, to each scene chewing scene of the villains, to the DEO and, sorry, awful first impression Hank Henshaw character, this show decides to lay it all out there! So much of it!!! Due to that, it felt like they tried to fit a normal 2 hour movie into a 42 minute episode. Very heavy and alot to swallow.

Melissa Benoist
I like her. Smiley  I like her sweet side, her sort of goofy nature to fit in and be natural around everyone. I may be looking at that too much, but Chris Reeve's Clark Kent was purely acting to be a normal person, but Benoist's Kara is honestly trying to just be 'normal' and fit in as she is. She knows she's a pure Kryptonian and has that same powerset under the yellow sun, but she thinks she needs to be a normal earth girl.

Her immediate quick transition to high flying hero barely has time to settle in for it's own honest merits though. I like the saving of the airplane homage-but if it wasn't for her sister on board, would she have hesitated to reveal herself? Like, would she have allowed it to crash? I would think not, but it seemed an extra drummed part to heighten suspense that wasn't needed.

The Tone
I like the cheerful, exuberant nature of the show/Kara. Supergirl is not a Wonder Woman (who, I feel, has to champion what it is to be a powerful woman in a man's world). Supergirl is about optimism, the sparkle of youth that has its future to look forward to. And this show captures it for me. It wasn't too cheeky or cheesy (okay, a little bit Wink ), but Kara watching herself on tv in her jammies was really fun.

The plot
The show gave us all this and more with the exposition. Kara's craft dragged a prison world here, and hence the DEO has been created to respond. Now, why they don't want Supergirl around, and worry about her as an alien when Superman seems fine is a weird element to me. Also, do they have that prison craft? Do they know how to speak/read Kryptonian? Have they kept that capsule of Allura's message for Kara all this time knowing what was on it? What the hell?

I won't lie, also making Supergirl's identity so open and known irks me. I know it's seemingly ridiculous to have one, but man, in the first ep, only Cat Grant doesn't know who Supergirl is!!! That's it!!

The DEO team up element just seemed really clunky to me. It didn't help me to hide Supergirl down in a subterranean lair right away. She's barely out in the world as an identity, and now she's being chained down? Bah, I didn't like the visual of keeping her from the skies and the light of day (as an aesthetic quality).

Also, the Bad Axe man...was he Kryptonian? Seeing as how you get to see Despero as an escaped prisoner, I would presume that more than just Kryptonians were in the prison ship...but if there is even 2 Kryptonians on that prison ship, well, they take over the world. Simple as that. Or, hit them with a K-dart like they did Supergirl, and then kill them. So, maybe it's not that easy to take on the world. Cool

So, I liked it. It was positive, it wasn't tween cheeky. It wasn't a huge feminist message. It wasn't awful! It was just really fast and a lot to take in. I just hope it slows down from here on out so we can enjoy it.

As an epilogue, due to being near to being a father, and having many friends with little girls who call me 'Uncle Jim' I find myself looking more at the messages and presentations of women in pop culture.

I went off on some people on a shared group on facebook (we all are high school athtletic trainers) about how they humble athletes who are foolish or won't try hard in rehab to get back to the field. One athletic trainer, with his football coach, stuck maxi pads to the helmets of guys who were milking it or not trying hard. Because, you know, if you aren't a football player, or a guy, or tough, then you must be a girl-who is obviously weaker, pathetic, and not able to play through pain. I went off.  Angry

So, I look to see what is presented or shown. I was very careful in over analyzing this ep to see if Kara comes to her Supergirl life on her own through her own choices. Or, was it a man's message to make it okay for her to be Supergirl? Hank certainly made it his decision to say that no, she needs to leave. James' conversation at the end about 'the big guy sent me here to watch' seemed to imply that no, she couldn't possibly do this without  someone's guidance.

Or is it simply help? Wink

No, that's really me over-analyzing it. But, it's something to really look it, I think.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 03:18:49 PM »

Nice job, Jimmy. I really have ... well, had no interest in this show as I was just scared of the Arrow effect. A show with too much sugar and drama making me want to put a 10mm up to my mouth, but maybe not as bad as Arrow? I mean for me of course, I understand and can appreciate your enjoyment of Arrow, but you know I just can't stomach it. Yet this seems to not be like that? Maybe? Whether because just the way you wrote it, CBS isn't the CW or what, I have no idea, but ...

I may try this, on-line, at least for a minute or two now after reading your thoughts, so yeah, either "thanks" or "F you"  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

You know I am honestly trying to change my thoughts on the "Super" side of things. Bad timing jumping into the Superman Family comics right now to say the least, but I did try. Maybe this will help. Couldn't hurt I suppose. Well, maybe it could.
 Smiley

Regardless, nice job

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 04:28:22 PM »

Thanks. Smiley

It's much, much closer to the Flash. No brooding, no angsty "I must do this-alone" and I don't think it overrides Flash on the saccharine flavor.

However, it is a very jumbled and hypercompressed pilot. I just want the show to breathe and do well.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 03:52:35 PM »

What the funk; my second ep only recorded the last 18 minutes? I must have interrupted it somewhere. Off to the hulu/online access then....

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 03:37:24 PM »

Ep 2 "Stronger Together"

Ehhhhh....I think I'm going to sum up what I feel of the series so far....poor.

In attempting to make her go through growing pains, the writers create obnoxious scenarios to question herself, have horrible writing (A fireman looks at a person who just flew through the air and landed in front of him and says "Superman would have done it already. What are you waiting for?") Ugh. Terrible, crass, simplistic writing. This ep continues the stupid questioning of Supergirl. It goes again so far over the top. It's as if the writers can only press home one, simple idea in an episode instead of layering things.

I think the best part may be in Cat Grant. Sure, she's a bitch, but she has a fundamental reason for her rise to power, how to maintain, and it's not with a narrow view that she does so. Best well rounded character.

Still, I keep wondering; are they only setting Supergirl up as someone who can only achieve by validation through others? Her self doubt, true, should be explored, but man, watching her being cut down by others and dismissing her outright is highly annoying.

Randomly: James knows Clark is Superman. Lois and Clark were both mentioned, as was Perry White.

Power and flight look so very cool!! Graphics are great.

Parks and Recreation reporter Ned Perdy is the reporter on the tv here as well. Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 07:32:04 PM »

Thanks. Smiley

It's much, much closer to the Flash. No brooding, no angsty "I must do this-alone" and I don't think it overrides Flash on the saccharine flavor.

However, it is a very jumbled and hypercompressed pilot. I just want the show to breathe and do well.

I was going to post the same message to you Perry - It's much more like Flash than Arrow.  Flash is still the better show but I enjoyed the first episode for what it was - all setup.  Of course, no matter what I'll be watching it every week since Hannah has been squealing like a girl at every commercial leading up to it! (And that's ok because, well she's a girl!)

First episode got the Hannah seal of approval.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 01:49:57 AM »

Ep 3 'Flight or Fight'

Cat Grant and Kara both, so far, are always able to deliver an amazing message at least once each episode. Speaking on woman empowerment, feeling dismissed, being overlooked as the weaker sex; they deliver some great messages this way! I even enjoy the overzealous weirdo that is Cat Grant in this show. A bit of the Jonah Jameson to her, but without the belligerent hysterics Jameson is prone to.

However....The dismissive nature of her sister and the HORRIBLE character Henshaw make me want to scream. They are singular note characters; they disdain Supergirl, they humiliate her, and ...well, whatever the female word is for emasculate is, they do it in spades. So does James without realizing it. "oh, I was worried about you facing Reactron. I thought you'd get hurt. So, I ignored you and called Superman. Because I know better than you, you simple little girl." Okay, that last line wasn't said, but thats the impression one gets from other characters talking to Supergirl so. Pisses me off. I know the entirety of this freshman season will be about a growing up Supergirl, and Benoist plays that well in the face of all those that would hold her back. I'm so happy for that.

But her validation by others that she is doing a good job, after she has gone and disobeyed their wishes, is annoying and frustrating. I'm glad the show has been pushed out to 20 eps, because it's going to need it as it grows beyond itself.

I'd also like Supergirl to grow beyond needing a team to support her during a fight. I think that's why the Superman presented here is so BA-he just goes it all alone and does it great. Because he's Superman. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 02:00:09 AM »

Is this the episode with that god awful Tornado suit? I remember seeing that online and thinking it had to be a mock-up or something, but no ... they went with it.
Wow, horrible. Looks like something out of 1980s Dr Who.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 05:53:09 PM »

Is this the episode with that god awful Tornado suit? I remember seeing that online and thinking it had to be a mock-up or something, but no ... they went with it.
Wow, horrible. Looks like something out of 1980s Dr Who.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

That's in 2 eps. That title is 'Red' I believe.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 06:03:51 PM »

That was this weeks episode.  It looked bad but since he's a robot it didn't seem as bad.  We watched it last night.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 01:33:22 AM »

Ep 4 'Livewire'

The trash talk radio jockey gets ordres from Cat to tone it down on Supergirl rhetoric. Leslie, the radio personality, gets pissed, but ends up getting powers in a way that is always believeable in a comic book situation. Cheesy

However, she turns murderous-immediately!-and decides to come after Cat and just fight Supergirl every chance she gets.

That's the bad. It's poor, it's silly, it's foolish. Get powers? Explore them? Think on what it means to have them? Nope, just become a possible murderer immediately and go for it. Ugh. It's the same thing as the villain of the week on Buffy, and it just doesn't hold water. In comparison, on the other 2 shows, we got to see the Black Archer, Deathstroke, Reverse Flash, and Zoom develop over several episodes. Even the 'villains of the week' were already that way before developing powers (looking at Flash only here). Livewire going bad, after being a career woman up to and until the day before is shitty. It's like afternoon cartoon writing.

Better stuff: Supergirl talking with Cat as equals; Kara discussing and opening up to Cat about her parents and being hopeful (actually, this falls into 'best').

Ugh worthy: Creating lovey-dovey eyes of Winn to Kara, of Kara to James. Blech.

Annoying: everyone still treating Supergirl with kid gloves. Worried worried worried. Oh, she shouldn't be out there alone. Oh, Supergirl isn't safe. Oh, Supergirl might get hurt. FAKKIN A' she's SUPERGIRL!!! You keep demeaning her and it's pissing me off.

I like Melissa Benoist alot; she's silly and goofy as Kara, and a great upstanding Supergirl in costume. Even Cat, as egotistical and driven as she is, still shows a heart.

But this show needs to figure out how to write this show with a bit more maturity. Otherwise, it won't keep the adults, and kids won't necessarily stick around for it either.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 05:27:09 PM »

Ep 5 'How does she do it?' Thought it wasn't going to air. Didn't see it.

Kind of a two part review due to my reactions and feelings

Ep 6 'Red Faced'

What a worthless piece of shit, horribly fucking written episode. I was just ready to quit this damned show. JUST AWFUL. General Lane is the worse kind of caricature of ty military man. IN the same rant, he blames Supergirl for damaging and ruining the Red Tornado, while also saying that there is now an uncontrollable unstable killing 11 billion dollar killing machine loose-and it's up to her to find it! What the hell? Again, another horrible written threat, a blame game, more men standing around to defend the girl and give her validation. SONUVABITCH.

Then...then Cat gives a speech about anger control, and how a woman must present herself. Then, Kara gives another frustration speech, and both speeches just ring true. So true, and so well. There's hope for this show, but not with how the day to day threat shit goes down. The General even gives a great speech to James to explain why he views James is a weak hanger on. So! They can write feelings and people, but to hell with the villains!

Ep 7 'Human for a day'

Quite honestly, the best episode this season has produced. Kara's vulnerability, her feelings, emotions, her turmoil as both human and Supergirl. Cat Grant has a wonderful complexity that belies her bitchy boss nature. She just succeeds.

Even with the 'ugh' character of Alex Danvers doing her own witchhunt against Henshaw and Gemm in the catacombs of the DEO. And lo! That Henshaw can act given the opportunity with great writing! His soliquoy for the original loss of Henshaw and Jeremiah Danvers was a great moment. Then J'onn's reveal! A 'moment' to see and adore.

(I also think the original Henshaw will return, as the Cyborg Superman.

So, this ep really hit for me. Truly did. Made me go 'yes, this is how SUPERGIRL should be seen by people!' Can they keep it up?

Also, Winn's annoying. Screw him. What a pissy little bitch. Oh, the girl doesn't like me although I REALLY like her. Wah wah wah. This 3 way tension love triangle is highly annoying and poor.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 06:01:49 PM »

I was just coming to ask what everyone thought about...

the Martian Manhunter reveal

I thought it was awesome!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS