HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:30:35 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So Marvel is relaunching (not rebooting)  (Read 12279 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 30, 2015, 02:25:02 AM »

So Marvel is relaunching with about 60 titles, yes, instead of 52, Marvel goes more  Roll Eyes companies will do some stupid stuff like that, but anyway, and while I looked through all the damn Spider-Man related titles (at least 7 ... including Carnage?) and all the titles I really had no interest in, I noticed one new name to the Marvel Creative Line-Up, Rocafort. Coming over from DC I hope I can now try and enjoy his unique art work style because I had no damn interest to read him on that Red Hood title he was on.

Sadly, I slo noticed one name missing, Remender.  Cry Embarrassed Angry Huh Undecided Cry Embarrassed Embarrassed

I went and found THIS and now I am sad.

Out od the 60 or so Marvel comics, I am excited for about a third. Some I was excited about prior, I now see creative teams I am not overly fond of breaking my will to probably even try them. Certainly will not be buying them. Guggenheim has a title Agents of Shield, wasn't buying that anyway, so that is good.

I will still with the writers I like: Aaron, Lemire, Spencer, Etc ... And I will finally try to get back into the X world again, with at least 4 ... maybe 5 titles in that line so far, but by in-large ... not overly excited.

Of course the opposite was true with DC, I was super excited, so maybe this will work in reverse here. I highly doubt it, looking over this titles again.
 Undecided

Maybe Vision? I know I am most excited to see Joshua Williamson on Illuminati. His Nailbiter has been eerie fun and his Birthright is loved here I know.

Eh, just not as excited now as I wanted to be with this relaungh. Remender leaving is like the cool guy in the neighborhood moving away. You knew his folks were in the Navy, always on the move, so you knew it was gonna happen, but you will just miss all the cool shit and trouble you use to get into with that bastard while he was around.
 Undecided
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:56:02 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 12:32:25 PM »

I'm actually kind of excited about Remender focusing on his creator owned stuff.  I was already thinking he was spreading himself thin.  I love  Black Science and Low and am looking forward to more titles like this.  It will be a shame he's not building in the Marvel universe anymore.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 01:23:16 PM »

Oh exactly. I am even getting his Deadly Class stuff so him focusing on his creator stuff is fine with me, but I will just miss the way he jerked and twisted a lot of Marvel characters in a new way. Some didn't work as well as others, but most were just fantastic reads. That is the only reason I am saddened by his departure.

If it means I get another two creator books then fine  Grin but I was really hoping he was moving towards a new Marvel property to twist the hell outta of.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 01:48:30 PM »

I will miss Remender's work on Marvel stuff, for sure! It was the only thing I had been following!

But, with Perry's original post for the relaunch, I'm reminded how I felt some time ago....last month, as it were, about all of DC's relaunches.

It wasn't with dread, it wasn't with excitement though, either. With so much time passed ( Wink ) I think I look back on it and know that I felt a little...remorse.

Remorse in that, how I feel as a fan, as being a fan, is almost inconsequential. Both comics need to keep doing things to be noticed, drive sales, stay viable, stay working. Does that always mean adhering to the same Superman continuity from 1985? The same origin? If Miles Morales is that big of a hit, why stick with the same publishing operation of him in his own little universe? Bring him to the big seller!

With DC, I just decided to try a bunch of new books. And some are very very good. Some are definitely not in reading stylings of a nearing 40 year-old-man. Some I'll try and keep reading to just see how the experiment of that title process goes.

Yes, we know how I have gripes with Marvel as the jilted girlfriend, but I'm curious to see how things progress again. No Spider-man still for me. Possibly 2099 again, though. I always like to look in at Hulk. Captain America by Spencer? I can dig that. Still no way I'll ever buy X-men books again. Aaron is still the guy on Thor. I may want to see how Vision's movie popularity rewrites the score on who he is again. Cheesy

But I do feel that the stories that I enjoyed or want to see happen...(again?) are not in today's model for either company. I acknowledge that. I realize that this may sound hypocritical, in some aspects, in the face of an "X-men '92" book being published. Wink

Yet, as the fan not being catered to, they also realize that the older fans have the money and keep buying anyways like they've always done. We're hooked. We're addicts. We are in the habit of doing so. I just wonder if I'll keep continuing to kick the mainstream habit more and more.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 02:43:13 PM »

I hear ya, Jimmy. However, I relate this to DC's original Nu52 reboot more than their latest relaunch, based solely on scope. True, it isn't the same as starting over like DC did and that does make a huge difference, certainly, but the rearranging of talent is on the same scale ... kinda
 Grin

I don't know, I look at this and I honestly think in 6 months I will be getting more DC than I am Marvel and that has never happened. Counting the Biz/Batmite mini's and the two "other" DC titles (Astro City and Am Vam 2) there is about 25 to 27 titles right now that I did/could/may/might jump onto and I am not sure in two months or so after Marvel hits with this new wave (lets just say January of 2016) that I will be getting that many Marvel titles. Maybe, but right now it doesn't look like it.
 Sad

I will try and get a count once the official mag and the official titles are released

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 03:23:19 PM »

The thing I find interesting about my own buying habits is that my Image list has outgrown my DC and Marvel put together.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 04:00:32 PM »

UGH.  From the man who ruined the Earth 2 comic:

All-New Wolverine #1
W: Tom Taylor A: David Lopez
“Best there is at what she does”

I am interested in these though:

Daredevil #1
W: Charles Soule A: Ron Garney
“The devil’s apprentice”

Ant-Man #1
W: Nick Spencer A: Ramon Rosanas CA: Mark Brooks
“Once a criminal…?”

Uncanny X-Men #1
W: Cullen Bunn A: Greg Land
“Bigger threats require more threatening X-Men.”

Extraordinary X-Men #1
W: Jeff Lemire A: Humberto Ramos
“Still hated. Still feared. Still standing.”

Old Man Logan #1
W: Jeff Lemire A: Andrea Sorrentino
“Older. Wiser. Sharper.”

Hawkeye #1
W: Jeff Lemire A: Ramon Perez
“Hawkeye vs. Hawkeye”

Scarlet Witch #1
W: James Robinson CA: Kevin Wada
“Seeing red…”

Squadron Supreme #1
W: James Robinson A: Leonard Kirk CA: Alex Ross
“Sole survivors of their own worlds, they’ll do ANYTHING to protect this one.”

The Mighty Thor #1
W: Jason Aaron A: Russell Dauterman
“The flash may be weak but the thunder is strong.”

Vision #1
W: Tom King A: Gabriel H. Walta CA: Marcos Martin
“A bold new Vision for the Marvel Universe.”

Doctor Strange #1
W: Jason Aaron A: Chris Bachalo
“Some surgery requires a scalpel – some, an axe.”

Uncanny Inhumans #1
W: Charles Soule A: Steve McNiven
“The silence is broken.”

And I think a James Robinson Squadron Supreme and a Jason Aaron Doctor Strange are the two that have me excited.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 04:58:06 PM »

BC has a pic of the book hitting tomorrow -

All the new books can be seen HERE

Have to go through and see what hits me. What hits you? (anymore Jeff?)

EDIT - I think Duggan on the Uncanny Avengers worries me most. Is this just going to be "Haha" Deadpool stuff or is he writing a tad more serious ... with laughs?

EDIT 2 - And Jimmy, what do you think of the whiter Spidey 2099 suit?

EDIT 3 - Gerry Conway is a must buy for me though. Got to see how "the old man" brings a character I couldn't care less about (Carnage) to the page. Although I did kinda like the way Remender presented Carnage .... ohhhh, Remender .... I miss you already.
 Cry Cry Cry

Smiley

EDIT 4 - And it looks like only 45 "new" number ones as of now. Wonder if they will push out more in November? I can't imagine Marvel publishing sub-50 titles, but maybe? If the sales aren't there maybe ///

EDIT 5 (last)  Grin - And is that a female "Orca" on that Squadron Supreme cover?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 05:44:53 PM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 12:50:10 AM »

Well I was able to knock off ten, of the 45 (so far) relaunched titles, from contention for being on my pull list. Some I was not happy about, but it had to be done and some are really just hanging onto my pull by a string. Contest of Champions for example. Is this just going to be a battle book? month after month punchy punchy?

Anyway, this is about the first cuts and those ten are, in the order they are seen from the link above:

1- Uncanny Avengers - This one may change as I do like some of the characters, but I am not a huge Deadpool fan (I do enjoy him in small doses) and with the Deadpool writer Duggan writing this, as well as the fact it has Deadpool on the team, I am gonna sit this one out for a few. If I decide to drop a title off my pull I will reconsider adding this. Or if it seems to be getting very good reviews I may also reconsider.

2- New Avengers - Easy. Two characters. Wiccan and Hulkling. No thank you. I was leery off letting Ultimates stay on my first run as Ewing writes both and you know how writers love to cross-over their titles, but I just couldn't pass up seeing Rocafort draw Marvel so I let that pass for now, but didn't pull this title with it.

3- Totally Awesome Hulk - T and A Hulk - With Cho as the artist this book will either be 4 months late each issue or he will be gone by four issues anyway. Another title I may pick up once a more stable artist is onboard. I like Greg Pak so I am interested to see what he could do with another run of Hulk.

4- Spider Woman - I so want to want this. I just don't.  Undecided

5- Spider-Gwen - I can't even say I want to want this. Wasn't interested the first time, not interested this time

6- Silk - I think I would rather read about Spider-Gwen.

7- Drax - or Space Hulk. Punchy punch punch bores me.

8- Agents of Shield - I never pulled the trigger on Waids run as I knew this was getting relaunched. Wanted to just wait and jump in then. Until Marvel assigned Guggenheim to the title. Well that sucks. Not getting this now. Nope.

9- Wolverine - DAMN IT! Another writer that I don't like on the one book I was really looking forward to. Like Jeff said, Taylor pretty much ruined Earth 2, for me at least and it seems Jeff as well, so I am not liking him being on my X-23 book. But everyone deserves a second chance, so maybe something will falter and this title will make it into my pull before it is all said and done. I did want to give all the X-Books a solid try to win me back, I hate to lose one before we even start.

10- Deadpool - For all the reasons I stated on the first title, Uncanny Avengers. May read an arc or two, but too much Deadpool just drags me down.

So ... only 35 left ... what 10 will be next to go? Contest of Champions? Venom? Spidey 2099 (again)? Carnage?

Who knows.
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 01:51:58 AM »

Right now I'm only interested in the ones I listed above. But since I'll likely wait until they but MU I'll at least have the beard the buzz on what is good and what is not.  One exception for sure is Doctor Strange.  I will go ahead and at least pick up the first arc as it comes out.  Might do the same on at least one of the X-Men titles.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 02:03:08 AM »

Sweet, I just didn't know if you had seen any of the pics yet, and now of course I see they are everywhere  Cheesy

Marvel should still have about 15 or so titles to drop if they are to get to the "60" that ... someone said they were aiming for, so I can't wait to see what else I have to decide on. Trying to keep it to about 20 ... hmmmm... I don't know.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 11:57:46 AM »

Yeah I saw the covers.  They are everywhere now!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 12:18:54 PM »

Hey Jeff, why no All New X-Men? What is it that says no to you.

I am just asking because ... well ... I can't get more X-books than you, I just can't
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 01:59:41 PM »

Hey Jeff, why no All New X-Men? What is it that says no to you.

I am just asking because ... well ... I can't get more X-books than you, I just can't
 Cheesy

Oh I'll read it in MU for sure.  It didn't catch my eye because Bendis isn't writing it.  Nothing against Dennis Hopeless (an unfortunate last name) just used to these characters written by Bendis.  Plus, at some point they have to go home, right?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 02:11:38 PM »

Okay ... whew ... had me scared for a few.  Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS