HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 06:13:00 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thunderbolts premieres in theaters July 25, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DC New Titles  (Read 14123 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 20, 2015, 05:52:13 PM »

So which of the new titles are hitting for ya and which ones are you feeling less than enthralled by?

I have not read them all yet,  Grin but so far my list would go thus -

Loved-
Bizzaro
Constantine
(wow, what a vast difference in tone those two are  Cheesy)

Enjoyed -
Omega Men (Not the best comic, though good, but the portrayal of these characters has me pulled in)
Batmite (Enjoyed this but not really for kids I say, so it hit me wrong because of that)
Robin, Son of Batman (Decent start I suppose. Kinda jumbled, but Hanging on for a few more and hoping)
Justice League of America (Can't complain about this first issue, but I think I like his writing more than his art)
Martian Manhunter (Really liked this more because I wasn't expecting to. Not diminishing its worth, however)

Mixed Feelings - (IE I just don't know)
Midnighter (I sooo wanted to like this, but just didn't get into the story. Nice last page though)
Prez (Just not for me)
Batman Beyond - Also wanted to like this. probably giving this another two issues or so)

No! NO, NO, NO!!! - (One of these will certainly be cut the next round, if not more)
Doomed (Lobdell is just not for me. It's like he's never left the 90's)
Earth 2 Society (Just too damn confusing for me)
Red Hood / Arsenal (See Lobdell note above)
Dr. Fate (can only say ...  Cry)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 10:33:03 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 06:44:09 PM »

I've been trying to think how to hit so many thoughts I've had on my books (DC, mostly) for the last 2 weeks that I've simply paralyzed myself into not doing anything!!!

So, I'll take Perry's, edit it some, put my own in

Loved-
Bizzaro I also loved!! Can't wait for all 6!!
Constantine I liked alot, but mine might hit more 'enjoy' than loved. Considering I've just reread Jenkins and Ennis' work, it's hard for a single issue to stand up to that!~

Enjoyed -
Batmite coming out in the same week as Bizarro didn't help. Definitely the Jan to the Marsha here
Robin, Son of Batman Peeked at it in the store but didn't get it. I've always been very cool to Damian. I much prefer a great Tim Drake book (as Robin, though!)
Justice League of America Waitiing for the trade
Martian Manhunter Very suprised by this! Excited about it! Will talk more in the thread
Black Canary (Got to start a thread on this. This title is a game changer to all history/continuity/story of this character. But really enjoyed!

Mixed Feelings - (IE I just don't know)
Prez I'm holding onto this. I'm of the 'enjoyed' flavor, but I think this may hit me a bit more
Starfire (a naive look and take to the character. I liked to read of it. Her sexuality has been part of her personality so much to be a big part of her, and it's here as well. However, it's not a blatant whore/movie slut on the scene kind of thing, so I'll try it some more.

No! NO, NO, NO!!! - (One of these will certainly be cut the next round, if not more)
Doomed (Lobdell is just not for me. It's like he's never left the 90's) Done with Lobdell. I won't give the time of day.
Red Hood / Arsenal (See Lobdell note above) Agreed

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 10:36:20 PM »

I forgot about Dr. Fate, so added that.

And touch on a couple that Jimmy added, I just can't even get the will to read about a puck rock Canary. Hope it does change things ... kinda ... but just not interested in this in the least. Same goes for Starfire, but only because I am tired of being burned by any recent incarnation of any member of the "New Teen Titans"

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 04:30:27 PM »

Did you read Worlds End?  If not then that's probably why Earth 2 Society confused you.  I liked this first issue in regards to story.  The art could have been better.  I've always wanted to read Dick Grayson as Batman so I'll stay on for awhile.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 06:24:49 PM »

Did you read Worlds End?  If not then that's probably why Earth 2 Society confused you. 

I started to but I didn't finish it. Read the first couple and gave them back. Just didn't enjoy it, but yeah, I understand that is why I got confused, but that is just a piss poor way to start a new #1. Having it be linear to only those that read a weekly comic prior to its start makes no sense at all. Every comic is someone's first, but a first is definitely someone's first. You should make it so everyone can at least follow what the hell is going on in the first issue, even if they don't know the reason why things are happening.

You can read Omega Men and have no idea what is going on or why they are doing what they are doing, but at least the story makes sense to those that got the issue. You may be confused, but only because you don't know the full story YET, not that you missed the full story 3 months back.

Not sure who the editor of this book was, but he should have been more on top of this creative team. Just a very bad way to tell a story. At least have a synopsis or something.
 Angry

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 01:14:35 AM »

Also, very quietly (in some instances) everyone got a new costume.

All the big Seven did (no matter which version or rendition of the Big 7 you count). Even the later ancillary JL members have a costume change (Green Arrow, Black Canary, Cyborg) as well as other sidekicky type characters (Red Hood, Arsenal, Starfire).

Hunh.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 02:06:27 PM »

I really haven't talked much in a while, but I guess I haven't had much either in books! I'll say a few things in brief.

Aquaman-new direction, new angst. Not sold as much on art, considering I've had Paul Pelletier for over 2 years of issues. This man is definitely different, but I'm looking ahead.

JL 3001-with some of these new issues after Convergence, there has been a leap forward, a change in time or situation. One character is inexplicably gone to be replaced by another. Just jarring, but not bad. I still really enjoy the read of this title. Cheesy

Action 42-While still not sure of this direction, Pak still writes who Superman is. TOTALLY. A bit of a trumped up situation that totally reads "only in comics!" <maybe> but I get to see Superman be the hero I imagine when I tell others how cool he really is, and just how...super he is. Wink
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 05:13:53 PM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 12:10:30 AM »

While Action wasn't a bad comic for someone trying to get into Superman the character, "Superman" the title wasn't a good one. Add in the off timing of the stories (Action issue comes out and says "see Superman 42" to see why we are here ... and "here" is coming out an entire month before the "why") it makes it frustrating.

Haven't committed to either title yet and while I prefer Action Comics, I can't be on board if the Superman title is leading the way from a month behind.
 Undecided

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 01:53:16 PM »

Think I am done with Batman Beyond. I just don't care for any of the characters nor their plight. Audi.  Sad

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 04:55:51 PM »

Done with Bat-mite. NO laughs for me in the second issue. Missed second issue of Bizarro; sold out!!!!  Angry Angry Angry

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 12:06:05 AM »

Done with Bat-mite.

Crap. Haven't read it, but was hoping for an improvement.  Undecided

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 05:47:04 AM »

Done with Bat-mite. NO laughs for me in the second issue.

I know why you didn't laugh reading this issue. It called our beloved John's Hawkman and called him boring. The little Bat-Bastard!!!
 Angry

Grin
No, really, I understand totally. I also didn't give this title the slightest giggle. I honestly don't know what the heck this title is trying to do. It is not a title I would read to my grand-kids (as I don't want to explain circumcision (Edit - I mean Castration) to them at their current age) and it is not like the Muppet Show where I, the adult with a childish sense of humor, enjoy them more than the kids that watch. I have no idea what this is. It is like the Merry-Go-Round. Looks fun on the outside, but when you get on the horse you realize you are just sitting on a plastic saddle, holding onto a pole while going in circles.

I will continue to read but I can blame no-one that decides to exit this "ride". Just look at the cover, admit it looks fun and then just move on.
 Wink

Missed second issue of Bizarro; sold out!!!!  Angry Angry Angry

I know I need not say this, but yeah ... you need to find a copy of this. Even better than issue #1. I loved the guest artist pages (just a couple) and you should really enjoy the photo of B, Jimmy and Colin the Chupacabra they took while at Starling City.
 Grin

I even stole a piece of Bizzaro dialog from this comic and used it to tell my wife goodnight last night. As she nudge her way over to me, I bellowed in my best Bizzaro voice "Come close. Hold tight!!"
 Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

Yes, find this book.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 11:47:51 AM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 06:34:02 PM »

Damn you DC !!

As soon as I finally get my pull list in order, a physical list that was suppose to last at least a year, and yes, leaving space for new titles from companies (15 for Marvel as I know 10 more are coming soon, 10 spots for Image, 3 for Valiant and Dark Horse and a couple more for Avatar, Black Mask, Boom, Dynamite and the like ... combined), DC up and drops the news that more titles are on the way in January. Which would have been fine, but I only left 7 spots for DC and that was suppose to last for an entire year.

Well, DC just announced a second wave of new titles and there are easily 5 titles that I am jumping all over when they hit in January. That only leaves me more 2 spots ... I hope that is it from DC for at least another 6 months
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Aaron Lopresti writing METAMORPHO?
So there!

Kieth Giffen on SUGAR & SPIKE?
Got to test that puppy out!

Gerry Conway (the reason I am trying that new Carnage book from Marvel) hitting FIRESTORM?
Yes, Please.

Len Wein on both SWAMP THING & a new METAL MEN title?
Like you need to ask!!!

Damn, DC ... Loving it! But now off to redo my pull ... again ...  Cheesy Cheesy

(Edit - and damn Dynamite hitting me with Warren Ellis doing a James Bond book? HOLY @!#%@! !!!!)

EDIT 2 - Seems the Firestorm book is only a 4 issue mini  Sad
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 06:39:33 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 09:12:27 PM »

Gerry Conway on Firestorm?  I'll have to check that out!  Especially if its just a 4 issue mini!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 10:11:11 PM »

For me, it's a bit of a wait and see. I'll need to see issues in hand before I try these. Most of these properties aren't ones I tried in the day of yore of my youth to fall in love with. I'm more...cautious with these. But I do kinda dig Firestorm. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS