HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 10:16:43 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: MARTIAN MANHUNTER  (Read 9646 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 20, 2015, 04:18:39 PM »

This book is the SURPRISE OF THE WEEK WEEK WEEK WEEK WEEK

Grin

Dave had this only about 3 or 4 comics down in his pile this week (he rates his comics this way so I will know what he like more than what he liked less ... just to let you know, Doomed was at the bottom of his pile  Grin), andI have to be honest as I almost said "What? screw this. I'll read this if I have time" but later I decided to hang in and give it a go. I started to read and figured I would be placing it right back in the pile within 3 pages. I got past those 3 pages and then figured I would set it down after 6 pages. Moments later, after finishing the book, I just sat and digested what I had read. This totally changes my thoughts about this character.

I have honestly never been a huge fan of this guy. I admit it. He was almost as bad as Superman to me, having so much power that he seemed unstoppable and thus boring. Almost as bad because at least he had a very cool weakness, fire. Something so normal and readily abundant that John Jones was just a little better to me than a guy that was only worried about very rare, green (or any other colored) bits of his planet. But still, I just never latched onto this guy.

This book, may have just changed that. I can't believe this but I am adding a Martian Manhunter comic to my pull.

Holy Hell, first I am trying to read Greg Paks Superman and now this happens? WTF is going on with me?
 Cheesy

Can't put this under Perry Suggests as I may have been won over by just the fact I never cared about the character and now I kind of do, so it may not hit for everyone, but for me

8 out of 10 - Cookies in a bag

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 06:46:16 PM »

I really enjoyed it; alot actually! Great to see Eddy Barrows on a book I'll read again.

J'onn's history has been so wishy washy or mercurial, that one can really do a big number on it if you wish, particularly if the invasion angle this book is pushing is real.

After all, a shapechanger could be anything, or could easily think or be anything, right? Why actually believe in anything if you are anything? I like that kind of analysis. A big pick up for me to keep up with.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 01:25:57 PM »

Ahhh, a book Jimmy and I agree on. Must be a special book indeed   Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 05:49:11 PM »

I went ahead and downloaded this on Comixology.  Make that three in agreement.  This was fun to read.  I'm going to add it to my pull.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 06:26:36 PM »

Cool

Been a while since all three of us enjoyed a DC title at the same time!  Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 02:43:09 PM »

Such a greatly, intriguing title! Issue #4

I mean, yes, we've had a white martian alien invasion a time or two before, so no big deal that they are trying it again. What I love is how often J'onn is either a pawn or an unwilling attendant to so much of this!! The '4 are in1' line that is going through this, that J'onn has broken himself up into multiple people is so bizarre, so goofy, but so interesteing and compelling to follow too! Eddy Barrows is rocking it on art!

I'm very glad I've stuck it out with this book, and I'm highly anticipating reading the next issue with gusto!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 07:11:04 PM »

Couldn't agree more. I was kinda getting a lost feeling after I finished issue #3. Thought I may have misread or missed something because I just did grasp what was actually going on. Then, after reading issue #4, it all hit me like a truck. How did I not understand this? Haha. Maybe it was just me or maybe the story didn't open up until issue #4.

So we know of the cop and Mr. Biscuits ...

Crap, I should delete all this but I am going to leave it up.

I just relized I hadn't read issue #4 yet  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy I pulled up the last issue I read, to get a brief reminder of what happened in #4 and saw that I didn't read it yet.

DOH!!!!

Okay, I am going to go do that in a few, but let me correct what I was trying to say. It must have been issue #2 that I felt a little lost in and issue #3 that brought it all together.
 Cheesy

Thought I was gonna have a lot more to say ... but ...
 Grin
Be back soon
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 01:30:52 AM »

Hmmm. I was coming here to say I was losing interest in this book but issue 4 doesn't get here until this week.  I'm glad to hear it might be picking up for me.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 11:05:11 PM »

What a bizarre as hell book right now. I got to read...3 issues in a row, so that certainly helped. But right now, it's so goofy and big sci fi I can't even wrap my head around it properly right now. But always a great looking book. Even with the fill in for Eddy Barrows, it didn't seem to be a let down at all.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 02:09:27 PM »

Yeah ... I dropped off. After issue #3 it just got waaaay to deep for me. Or maybe just too complicated for me? Or maybe just not good for me? I loved the first three issues, but the last two I read ... or the last one and a half I guess ... just left me feeling like I was not enjoying this enough for the time I was spending on it.
 Sad

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 05:48:44 PM »

Yeah ... I dropped off. After issue #3 it just got waaaay to deep for me. Or maybe just too complicated for me? Or maybe just not good for me? I loved the first three issues, but the last two I read ... or the last one and a half I guess ... just left me feeling like I was not enjoying this enough for the time I was spending on it.
 Sad

LOL. I was only still getting it because I thought you were reading it.   ShockedCheesy

I dropped it from my pull list a couple of months ago.  It's an interesting premise but I lost interest too.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 09:24:43 PM »

Sad

LOL. I was only still getting it because I thought you were reading it.   ShockedCheesy

DOH!!!! Sorry, bad communication on my part   Undecided

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS