HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:21:52 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New world building here  (Read 4709 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: June 15, 2015, 04:44:57 PM »

Well, I've said how DC is plucking the last string I have that keeps me collecting Superman. Man, it's tight, and just about ready to snap.

Batman? Pfft, I trust in Snyder. Wink

WW? You've heard my WW talks, and the Finches are not the answer to that book.

As far their new "to hell with it! Write what you wish!" that will all be in the telling. I'm trying some new stuff, but I'm wondering how long it sticks, or how long I stick with it.

(mostly, I wanted Perry to know, that even as I complain about Marvel, I do think/feel the same way towards DC. Wink )

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 11:14:31 PM »

Yeah, you do on occasion complain about DC, but your anger about them is nothing compared to the "spitting venom" comments you make about some Marvel stuff. I mean, you were pretty damn gentle with DC and their Convergence event. Honestly, we all know that it was nothing but pure shit yet you held it close and stroked it gently, comforting it with soft, gentle tones protecting it from the outside world. You know you did.
 Cheesy

HeeHee. Just messing with ya, my man. You are my DC guy and I love it. Wouldn't want you any other way. It's all good.

With Marvel you get angry at when it's bad, but when DC is bad it hits you like it has let you down. It hurts more I think when they are bad. I totally get that. Honestly.

I have not read the Superman stuff yet, not even the Pak stuff I want to read, but I will get there. Is it the Action or the Superman title that has you a little let down?

And did you try OMega Men yet? Constantine? DC is doing some good stuff, Jimmy. It's okay to not buy Superman when he is letting you down. Walk away from him for awhile before he gets to you too badly and you throw your hands up on comics. There is some really good ... GREAT F'n stuff out there. Pull your Kryptonite and keep Supes awa from your eyes for about 6 months.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 01:30:29 PM »

With Marvel you get angry at when it's bad, but when DC is bad it hits you like it has let you down. It hurts more I think when they are bad. I totally get that. Honestly.

Day-um. That hits the proverbial nail straight dab on the head! I'll have to remember that line.

I have not read the Superman stuff yet, not even the Pak stuff I want to read, but I will get there. Is it the Action or the Superman title that has you a little let down?

In Pak I still trust. He's had one issue out since the reveal (which, doesn't happen until the end of the month. Great publishing move there! So, Action is fine.

It's more about the game-changer of the reveal. Superman doesn't (unfortunately) get to be a character that you can really muck with. Much like Peter Parker & Spider-man, big world changes REALLY mess up the fans and public outrage. "He's gotta be 20x years old, single, and have shitty life problems he brings on himself."

Clark Kent has to have the most foolish secret identity, and Superman has to be the best, brightest, shini-est example to all heroes (which, yeah, is something I do adore).

I just think with comics in the last 5-10 years..."blips" of change....they tend to last. F***ing Flashpoint changes didn't go away...the Titans are still an abominable mess of forgotten history for those fans...Barry Allen is still back, and Wally isn't "our" Wally....so when this big outing occurred....I'm afraid it may stay!

And that does make me angry.  Angry

And did you try OMega Men yet? Constantine? DC is doing some good stuff, Jimmy. It's okay to not buy Superman when he is letting you down. Walk away from him for awhile before he gets to you too badly and you throw your hands up on comics. There is some really good ... GREAT F'n stuff out there. Pull your Kryptonite and keep Supes awa from your eyes for about 6 months.
 Grin

Constantine TH really sold me in the last 3 pages. A character much more in the vein of the Vertigo stuff I"m rereading. I didn't pick up Omega Men, but I tried Starfire to see if the genial, more open manner of her presentation ala the 'Batgirling' craze of Batgirl, Harley Quinn, and Black Canary is something I want to be a part of.

So, I'm out there checking and trying. and I'm just hopeful and hungry for when Johns Justice League trades finally make it back to my place!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 01:39:35 PM »

Day-um. That hits the proverbial nail straight dab on the head! I'll have to remember that line.

I think a quick follow up to this is as follows:

Marvel, when it was bad, when it did make me feel let down-that goes back Spider-man Chapter One and killing Mary Jane. Then came JMS and the false origin story. Then the final stroke of One More Day.

Now? Now I'm bitter. Let's be honest; I'm completely bitter about that situation. More than anything, that's the place from where all my vitriol and scorn comes. I'm the jilted ex-boyfriend who cannot simply get past being jilted by someone who told me they loved me. Wink

I just now expect them to continue to hurt me. And it's worse when I let them. So, I just get mean about everything first. But, we all should still read the cool things I do love!

Hickman's entire catalog of work from Marvel. His FF I have all in the premiere HC format. Love rereading all of that. Will look to get <select> stories of his from his Avengers run, which is so heady and vast in scope, I can't believe he holds it together.

Waid's DD...great stuff. Great, great stuff.

I'm still sold on Aaron's Thor! Getting this in trades too. Aaron has many times disappointed me severely in other runs of his, but this stuff I'm all about.

Remender has been so solid for a lot of work. I've got all his Uncanny X-force and Uncanny Avengers. I'll coo about that.

So, there is greatness from Marvel. But, when big changes occur, I turn grumpy and become that friend at the diner who can't help but get mad when some old ex is brought up in the conversation.  Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 02:27:24 PM »

Well said sir and I understand your point of view.

Also please know that I, under self-examination, do realize that I also can be a Marvel Protector at times. I tend to first defend actions by Marvel and then think about what was said instead of thinking first and then reacting (but oh how the world would be if we all do that in the proper order all the time Grin). But I usually do so from a business standpoint and not from the "fan" standpoint that maybe I should be concerned with.
 Cheesy

I honestly think that not only is our differences (as small as they are) concerning Marvel vs DC loyalty (as what we are more familiar with and grew up with), but I also think most of the times we look at things from a different angle entirely. You, look and react to comics from the fan standpoint most of the times. That is great. That is the way you SHOULD look at them. I however, tend to look more at the business side of things. Not always and not intentionally, but I tend to do just that. And due to those "different ways of looking at the same thing" I wonder if that is why we weigh in on Marvel and DC with different reactions.

I get frustrated with DC because of the way they are dealing with the "their" company and you get frustrated with DC because of the way they are dealing with "your" characters. That is not to say you are not also angered by their company actions, no, as I know you are, but your first reaction is to the characters you have cared so much for for so many years. And that is cool. You are a true fan. I get that.

Same with Marvel in a way. You still react to the characters and/or story, but with Marvel it is anger released as cynicism, while for DC it is anger released as sadness.

Take the recent reading of AXIS for example. Your main gripe with it is how the story plays out. What the story and characters are doing/done. Some of that makes you mad as it is done poorly to you. That is your first reaction. My reaction is why in the hell is this just not a continuation of the Uncanny Avengers title with the same numbering? Sure, I wasn't a huge fan of some of it, but other stuff I enjoyed and hope comes back into play somehow ...
the White Skull was both. Both Stupid as shit and I didn't enjoy it AND I can't wait to see if he makes a return as I am interested as hell in him as a character  Cheesy

Now this is not to say I also don't get mad at the treatment of characters. You know I do  Grin I just honestly think ... man I hate to put it this way as it makes it sound like I am negating my love for the medium ... but you are just "the bigger fan" than I am ...? If you get me? You are fan character "in the now" driven, I am business character "for the future" driven. You hate new numbering, I want it to go further and do 6 to 14 issue arcs and renumber ever story. You are DC and I am Marvel. We are Harvey Dent's coin.  Cheesy We are a great pairing.
 Cheesy

EDIT - but I am happily married, so don't get any ideas  Cheesy Cheesy Grin
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 02:30:08 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 03:29:51 PM »

Hahahaha! Love the post, Perry.

(and 1 year in, I too am still happily married. So no funny business!   Cool  )

At least in all this, we can definitely have conversations on all things!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS