HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:30:55 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Secret Wars Tie-Ins  (Read 25036 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 12, 2015, 05:48:41 PM »

Okay, just for the heck of it I though I would get a list going of what Secret War tie-in issues have been released, which ones I have read and my general thought about them. I will grade these issues according to four subjects and then give an overall grade. The four subjects are:

Writing - How well I thought the book was written
Art - How pleasing or not the book was to look at and how the artist "worked the story" (art is more than just looks)
SW relevancy - How much the issue ties into the the Secret Wars event. If any.
Cover - Just how much I like the cover (covers need more ratings!!  Wink)

Please note that the overall grade I give will only be in relation to my enjoyment of the issue, not how it plays or does not play into Secret Wars. Although those that do get a little bonus for actually being a "tie-in"
 Wink

Comic issues are the ones I know that are coming out, so while I know there will be more issue, like Master of Kung-Fu #4, I am just waiting until I see it listed somewhere.
 Cheesy

And again, I am way behind, So I have really read so little that this will take all kinds of time. But, what the heck?
(Blanks are ones I haven't read obviously).

EDIT - And now I have to bolt. But be back soon to start filling in this damn thing that took too long to list.  Grin

1602: Witch Hunter Angela

A-Force
1 - This was a pretty basic "group" read, but fun non-the-less. All was going well until
someone(?) sent a Megoladon (A huge ass dinosaur shark) to the waters of Arcadia (the island set aside for A-Force) and when one of the team gets rid of the damn thing, she does so by breaking a golden rule; never break the shield surrounding Battleworld!! Soon after, the Thors arrive, and that is never a good thing.
I hear this may also be a title that carries over after SW is over.
~ W=3, A=3, TIV=4, Cvr=2 (Just a stand around/look at me cover), Verdict = 3 ~

Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows
1- I didn't have the same experience as Jimmy with this title, though I can somewhat see what bothers him, I found the change in the Parker house to be possibly a game changer. Plus the way Peter reacts at the end about ... well ... something ... makes this a good book to read if you don't want to be bogged down with Secret Wars (nothing really here) and just want a "What If" story. A decent book, but nothing "Amazing"  Wink
~W=4, A=3, TIV=1, Cvr =3, Verdict = 3~

Age of Ultron/Marvel Zombies

Armor Wars

Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps

Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars

E is for Extinction

Future Imperfect

Ghost Racers

Giant-Size Little Marvel AVX
1 - This was pure fun. I have no idea how this ties into the Battleworld or Secret Wars and it doesn't matter. Skottie Young bringing his style back again to the Marvel kids in a cute as hell story that rivaled Bizarro for the funniest/cutest comic of the month. Who would have thought that Avengers and Mutants would even compete over hotdog stands.
~W=4, A=5, TIV=1, Cvr =3 (typical S. Young fare), Verdict = 5~

Inferno

Infinity Gauntlet

Inhumans: Attilan Rising
1 - Yeppers, love this issue. As I have mentioned here, and everywhere else I could (including emails to my friends that just said the two words), this issue is spectacular for one reason; SAND HULKS!!! Okay, there is more there than that, but I just love the idea of Hulks being a security feature much like the Dune Sand Worms Cheesy This is a very important series for the SW as this has the NuHumans  Roll Eyes, being
THE(?) rebel force against Doom
Also, a Ghost Rider
that is a 1920's Ganster?
Hells Yeah!!!
~W=4, A=3, TIV=5, Cvr =2, Verdict = 5~

2 - I fear this one is gonna be a real confusing issue fro those not familiar with the current Inhuman title. A lot of what goes on here, while totally separate from the story prior to SW, really dives right in with character development that is right in line with the Inhuman title. I knew what was going on, but I fear most won't get the little nuances because of being unfamiliar. Still a very important tie-in issue, however
~W=4, A=3, TIV=5, Cvr = 3 (Good only because It tells a story without telling it), Verdict = 4~

Marvel Zombies
1- If Thors is my favorite book so far of all the tie-ins, and it is, this has to claim the second spot. If for nothing else for the shock of me actually like this. I read this thinking this would be the title that I could slam and finally get a bad score for a tie-in, but no, this is another good book (though that scares me as there has to be a run of bad coming). The star here is Elsa Bloodstone (who you may remember more recently from Warren Ellis' NEXTWAVE. And if you don't, go buy that right now. So damn funny) Poor Elsa finds herself on the wrong side of the wall (think Game of Thrones and she is on the White Walkers side  Grin) and now she is trying to get back on the safer side. But with thousands of Marvel dead things in the way, what happens if she goes the other way? Even further away from the safety of the wall.
~W=4, A=4, TIV=4, Cvr =3, Verdict = 4~

Master of Kung Fu
1 - While this has no connection, really, to the Secret Wars event and feels more like a What If or and Elseworlds tale, it was still a very enjoyable read. I dig how all the characters with the slightest Asian history is involved  Cheesy We have 13 "clans" or martial arts schools (from the Spidey Clan and Daredevil Clans all the way to Wolverine and Moondragon Clans) and they compete every 13 years to find their ruler. The winner of the competition rules for 13 years until they fight again. Well having won the last few tournaments, the Ten Rings Clan (guess who that is) is getting ready to face their greatest challenge ... from inside. Can even the great Iron Fist protect the ruler?
~W=4, A=3, TIV=0, Cvr =2 (not the best looking cover), Verdict = 4~

2 - So drunken Chang-Shi has to now
sober up, start his teachings and I bet, later on, fight the Mande ... fight the current emperor and head of the Ten Rings.
Man, I am loving all the small cameos here and I am digging how this story brings to fruition some of the events that actually happened to Marvel characters.  Wink This truly is a Elseworlds story, even though they have their "own land" on Battleworld, this is a series you can read without ever picking up another SW title ... not even the main one. In closing I just want to say ... Damn you, Calisto!!! Wink
~W=4, A=3, TIV=0, Cvr =3, Verdict = 4~

MODOK Assassin

Mrs. Deadpool and ther Howling Commandos

Old Man Logan

Planet Hulk
1- Captain America and Devil Dinosaur. Does anything else need to be said? A very fun romp and worth the time to read. Actually better than I thought it could be and the ending has me looking forward to issue 2, even though it wasn't a surprise to see it.
~W=4, A=4, TIV=2, Cvr =4, Verdict = 4~

Runaways

Secret Wars: 2099

Secret Wars: Battleworld

Secret Wars Journal

Spider-Verse

Squadron Sinister
1 - Okay, I have to claim bias here. I have always loved the Squadron Supreme, the blatant rip on the JLA that it is  Grin if for nothing else to see a version of Nighthawk, a character I always want to see more. This issue comes with a little twist that has the SS wanting to take over all the ... wow ... I just realized I typed "SS" and followed with "wanting to take over.." HA. Anyway, this is SS has a lot of the trust issues of the old, but watching them take out other versions of themselves was fun. But when a Thor is found dead in their base of operations, things get really rolling.
~W=4, A=3, TIV=3, Cvr =2, Verdict = 4~

Star Lord and Kitty Pryde

Thors
1 - Hands down my favorite of the bunch so far. THIS is the book everyone should buy and read now! Yes, now. Yes it has a pretty decent tie-in factor, but it does not effect the story at all. If you don't know, Thors, yes all the characters that have been a Thor every, are the "cops" on Battleworld, and I saw this statement on one of the reviews of the issue and I have to agree ... this is a perfect police procedural. But with Thors!!! And guess whose playing the police chief? Great, great issue with a great mystery, that I do strongly recommend. I think you all will love this one!!!  Buy! BUY!!!
~W=5, A=5, TIV=3, Cvr =4, Verdict = 5~

]Ultimate End

Weirdworld
1- Not the greatest first issue, but I can certainly see the story growing on me. The art is very "Heavy Metal Magazine" looking and for that, for that change, I liked it. Not sure it would be good on any other book. All in all just an average score for an average comic
~W=3, A=4, TIV=2, Cvr =4, Verdict = 3~

Where Monsters Dwell

X-Tinction Agenda

Years of Future Past

X-Men'92

*whew*
 Grin
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 09:29:56 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 08:00:27 PM »

WOW  Shocked

You are doing a great job of reminding me how much money I am NOT spending! Wow! lol  Cool  Wink

But I really enjoy reading about you reading this, so keep it up!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 08:06:20 PM »

I am getting some of these so this should be interesting!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 01:52:10 AM »

WOW  Shocked

You are doing a great job of reminding me how much money I am NOT spending! Wow! lol  Cool  Wink

Yep, gonna be a big dip, but I don't mind ... yet  Cheesy Now that I don't have to worry about what I can't sell on Ebay and what I can sell and how much can I get for them ... I can buy what I want, when I want without the worry of re-selling or even more important to me, storage.  Grin

And so far, this is a damn fun event. Makes it all worth it.  Smiley And besides, not buying them all helps, but I will hopefully be reading most of them.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 02:36:03 AM »

Updated three comics.
This is based on the 0-5 scale with a grade of 2 being just below and average comic and 3 being just above and average one.
Also, TIV = Tie-In Value. The amount the issue actually ties into the main Secret Wars story Wink I am curious to see the final numbers on that.
 Wink

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 04:11:27 PM »

Added Inhumans 1 and 2 and Master of Kung-Fu #2

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 09:14:56 PM »

Spider-man: Renew your vows #1

I read this and rather thought 'so what?' Now, before I'm called out for Marvel bashing, I read PAD's Future Imperfect #1 and thoughts 'AWESOME!' A dystopia world, with the city..er...Dystopia, and Maestro, and that jazz, cool! I don't know a thing about Battle secretworld-land or anything, but PAD pulled me in.

'Renew' did no such thing. No gravitas to the events occurring, soooo very alternate reality, but without any cool kind of shtick to it. I've got the 2nd issue pre-ordered, but after that...we'll see. I may just stop. With Spider-man. Yet again.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 10:43:06 PM »

All cool, Jimmy, but I just can't understand how you can read the last page of this and think "so what".

So what is it was such a change from Parker that it really made me like this. Plus add in that this is a different daughter, and I was pretty impressed with it all around. But I also know that Slott will have at least 2 things in here I hate  Grin, but so far, as a "What-If" ... I liked it.

But also, as this is another of those titles that didn't tie into Secret Wars at the jump, I thought you would actually like this.

Im sooo confused by what I think you will like now!!!!  Cheesy Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 01:54:45 PM »

All cool, Jimmy, but I just can't understand how you can read the last page of this and think "so what".

So what is it was such a change from Parker that it really made me like this. Plus add in that this is a different daughter, and I was pretty impressed with it all around. But I also know that Slott will have at least 2 things in here I hate  Grin, but so far, as a "What-If" ... I liked it.

Gotta remember, with me, Spidey is the jilted girlfriend that I react way out of control. RNV was touted as the story to see Peter and MJ back together and with their baby-finally. However...it's not little Mayday. So, it's just another alternate reality entirely. Call that a dumb sticking point; I have no problem with that! Also, I agree that at some point Slott will have at least 2 brain crushingly dumb things happen that make me scream. So, I'm expecting that to happen too!!

Also, the Regent thing happened so fast and so..."blech" to me, that it reminded me of a bad Convergence 2-parter, so maybe unfortunately, this tie-in suffers due to bad after taste of DC's work!  Cheesy

Im sooo confused by what I think you will like now!!!!  Cheesy Cheesy
Yeah, me too! But that's why I've chosen to spend very little money on this. I'll read it later in Unlimited, and hell, by the time SW is over, the regular world and continuity will be starting back up, and I may come back on board a few books to see where this new rebooted world goes.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 02:40:01 PM »

Okay, I gotcha and I agree about Regent, but at least they aged the daughter. Hopefully they will continue to age her and we can get a Spider-Girl title out of this. Although I know the internet would break in half if they tried to do so without May  Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 02:42:18 PM »

Master of Kung Fu - my favorite so far
Atillan Rising - I was expecting more sand Hulks but I liked this none the less
Planet Hulk - really enjoyed this; brought a smile to my face
Future Imperfect - loved loved loved the boss reveal at the end
Spider-Man RNV - great story. Wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did
Marvel Zombies - also good story
Old Man Logan - I'm liking this also but no surprise from those that know me  Grin
Inferno - X-men fans will like this
Xtinction Agenda - another X-men fans will like this
Years of Future Past - fun issue. Seeing the kids of current x-men is interesting. And Sentinels!
Ultimate End - ok story but confusing in current SW landscape

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 09:42:03 AM »

Master of Kung Fu - my favorite so far

Is a good one. I like how they are not making Danny a "bad guy" even though ... well ... you know!  Smiley

Atillan Rising - I was expecting more sand Hulks but I liked this none the less

Cheesy Sorry I mislead you. I am worried about issue 2 being too confusing for you though as Soule tied into what is going on in his Inhuman run too much I think. If you're not caught up on his Inhumans, you may feel like you're missing something. Kinda what I was saying about the new Earth 2 title  Undecided

Planet Hulk - really enjoyed this; brought a smile to my face

So damn fun. Seemed weird to see Steve like that, jovial  Cheesy, but the way he and Devil worked together was great!!

Spider-Man RNV - great story. Wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did

I thought it was a perfect book for those that wanted to read a What If Spidey book without being too tied down with Secret War stuff.

Marvel Zombies - also good story

Surprised the hell out of me, how much I enjoyed this!

Future Imperfect - loved loved loved the boss reveal at the end
Old Man Logan - I'm liking this also but no surprise from those that know me  Grin
Inferno - X-men fans will like this
Xtinction Agenda - another X-men fans will like this
Years of Future Past - fun issue. Seeing the kids of current x-men is interesting. And Sentinels!
Ultimate End - ok story but confusing in current SW landscape

Still have to read all these (somehow I keep forgetting about Future Imperfect and OMLogan  Angry)

Was able to get a few more tie-ins read and so I updated a few (in yellow)
Mostly the ones you just talked about
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 02:39:21 AM »

Thors #1

Oh hell yeah!  Great start for this story.  Man. Have they had a bad tie in yet?  Big thumbs up here and rivals Master of Kung Fu for my favorite.

But the best part?

"I am Thor!"

You might not get that if you haven't  read it.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 02:49:52 AM »

Old Man Logan #2

This is going to be a wild ride.  Another solid issue with a great cliff hanger ending.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 04:47:09 AM »

Thors #1

Oh hell yeah!  Great start for this story.  Man. Have they had a bad tie in yet?  Big thumbs up here and rivals Master of Kung Fu for my favorite.

But the best part?

"I am Thor!"

You might not get that if you haven't  read it.

Cheesy Cheesy Right?  Cheesy Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS