HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:57:09 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Marvel Nu55 ?  (Read 7780 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 04, 2015, 09:35:21 PM »

From BC, from another site, we get Marvel All New, All Different.

A line wide refresh? (without a "current day" FF title I am sure and without any X-Men title in the main continuity I am almost sure) A reboot without the boot (or the re)?

Clicky HERE
(not a fan of the simplistic look of Iron Man. Would rather they go back to the classic 80's look)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 01:25:34 AM »

I'm a fuddy-duddy.

Maybe it's because Marvel hasn't done this before, and I've had my vaccinations and gotten used to it from DC, this doesn't feel right, nor fit right to me.

What sells better? Cross pollination titles. Spider-gwen and Miles Morales are pseudo-big hits, but, different universes. It'd be nice to cross them over with the Avengers, or a 3 parter with the actual Spidey...ah, lets moosh them together and say the hell with it.Cool? Cool.

And mind you, if you reboot some titles or characters...but not others...well, it's A REBOOT. Superman was rebooted in COIE...but Batman really wasn't. Flash (with Wally) wasn't. That was a direct continuation.

I dunno. It seems the same to me as COIE...and I just don't feel impressed with it.

Factor in the company line-item conspiracy stuff of 'no FF, no X' because they are owned by other companies, and the whole thing reeks to me.

This reaction is also just from the gut. This is purely an emotional response, with me testing the waters with what I immediately think by putting words to screen.

I'm not calling it bad. I'm not calling it great. But my fan reaction is more of that of a cranky miser.

So, make of it what you will. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 02:00:49 PM »

I'm a fuddy-duddy.

True. Very true.  Wink Cheesy Cheesy

And mind you, if you reboot some titles or characters...but not others...well, it's A REBOOT. Superman was rebooted in COIE...but Batman really wasn't. Flash (with Wally) wasn't. That was a direct continuation.

DC has "rebooted" a few times, taking the history of their universe and just wiped it away and moved past it with new origins or beginnings all around. Like you stated, even though GL and Bats stories didn't change, DC still rebooted. Of course that Bats/GL thing still just baffles me how they thought that would be the way to do it. Yes, they were the only titles selling well (comparison wise) but to walk into a meeting and say "We are starting completely over. Again. Except for Bats and GL" just seems crazy to me  Grin

But with Marvel, they my be casting one or two new characters (we are suppose to get a new Spider-Man ... not Miles, but another different one), but from my understanding the history of the Marvel U, what has gone on before, is not vanishing. And if that is the case, this is not a reboot at all.

However, I must say I am excited about this. Which scares me as I was excited about Convergence and worried about Secret Wars and that turned out to be a total swap in the product, but yeah, I am totally stoked. If for nothing else but for the reason I think I am getting my Dr. Strange title finally  Grin

Here are the two posters for the "All-New All-Different" -

Nothing really new that we didn't know on this one, but some comments -

I am not a fan of the new Iron Man look. I would prefer, if they were to go more simplistic, for them to go back to the fantastic 1980s look he had.

New western title? I see that Indian whose name I forgot. taking over for a Hawkeye title?

Black Panther to get his new title?

Female Thor is still around, which makes me both happy and sad.

And

A couple ... days(?) ago, Jimmy mentioned the Thunderbolts. That makes this image of Citizen V so exciting.

We already knew Johnny was going to be in the Inhumans titles, dating Medusa I suppose (which is still wrong to me. Plus he dated an Inhuman already in Crystal, is that his in? Medusa a cougar? Yuk. But here we get Ben ... in a costume with a symbol I can't make out. Almost looks like the new Daredevils' outfit, doesn't it?

and speaking of ... Daredevil gets a new costume?

Hyperion? Is Marvel still trying to make their own Superman? Still? (EDIT - and finally recognized the girl in the upper left. That is Dr. Spectrum. So Marvel going JLA/Squadron Supreme again?)

Who's in the green hoodie? Please not Dr. Doom. Maybe Karnak?

Dr. Strange !!!!!! With a double-sided Ax? Ummm, can't wait for THAT story.

Looks like Old Man Logan is getting his own title. Yeah. Love that world.

And on that same line it looks like X-23 will be the new Wolverine? Guess Logan stays dead for awhile. That is reall smart for Marvel. They get to keep an ongoing Logan title (man does that character sell) while at the same time they get to not only keep a Wolverine title, but they make her a girl, filling the current "let's change everyone sex or race" motif  Grin (Not saying it isn't time, just saying ...)

So what are your thought?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 02:08:21 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 06:02:14 PM »

I think the Things costume looks like the one Rocket is wearing which would could be putting him with the Guardians of the Galaxy?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 06:31:51 PM »

Damn, right next to each other and I totally missed it.  Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 11:14:29 PM »

Could the hooded guy be Nick Cage?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 12:44:35 AM »

Could the hooded guy be Nick Cage?

Sure?
 Smiley

And just announced, that Iron Man is being written by Bendis. It is now a must buy for me for that reason. While I am not the biggest Bendis fan when he does team books, his one or two main character books just blow it out of the water. Not even a fan of where Stark is now, with him not really being a Stark and all, but yeah, I'm buying Bendis writing this guy.
Cant wait to see the "new villains" as well. Though I hope I see the return of Blizzard !!!!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 09:58:27 AM »

Been thinking ... is X-23 part of the Fox movie deal? Is she classified as a "mutant"? I know she is a clone of Wolvie and I know Fox has the rights to all Mutants, but does she qualify or has Marvel found and out to be able to publish her in the main universe (still keeping inline with the Mutants stay away from the Main Marvel books idea ... which I am now second guessing,  Cheesy)

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »

From other sources, yes that's Karnak. And Yes, the Thing is a Guardian now.  And Old Man logan is coming over.

Bendis on Iron Man. *<EDITED DUE TO VULGARITY>*

Ugh.

Sorry, I hate the guy's stuff. I just. don't. like it.

Means I'm off Iron Man for years then.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 03:32:01 PM »

Cheesy
I get ya.

I am that way with his team stuff. Kinda. Not as bad as you obviously  Grin, but his solo or duo character stuff (Sam & Twitch, Alias, Daredevil, etc ..) Keeps me coming back. issue after issue. I think Bendis has like four voices he uses in comics and while that is not a great thing, he uses them so well when he only has to choose one or two.
 Cheesy

Also, I see where that new Iron Man suit can mimic every suit he ever has, or some such. And while that makes no F'n sense to me at all, I can't wait to see what that means
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 05:56:37 PM »

I'm not a Bendis hater.  Only thing of his I didn't like was his Guardians of the Galaxy.  Although I didn't like his Iron Man in GotG I'm interested in seeing what he does in the solo book.  Could get some interesting supporting cast stories.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 12:34:09 AM »

And it appears I am not alone in the "way" I like Bendis. A question was asked this week-end about that very thing ...

"When asked “Your team books and your solo books seem like different writers to me, so how does your process differ?” he answered “In a solo book, you are following one person, like a novel approach, and you have a confident narrator, one you can rely on… You know they’re not lying to you. You can do that with a team book, but you can also do it from an omniscient point of view, or like the reader is an Avenger, and everyone is talking at once. I really like that. One of the challenges is making sure there isn’t a character just standing in the background.”

Well ... it is a challenge for some writers  Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS