HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:23:10 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: EAST of WEST  (Read 9914 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: May 12, 2015, 12:57:10 PM »

Just just started reading this again and I am quite perplexed.

I tried the first issue of this when it came out and while it didn't hit me, I figured I would go ahead and put it on my "buy the trade or HC later" list. Well instead, do to my recent tablet buying spree  Cheesy ....  Undecided ...I was able to get this digitally and of course had to start reading at the first issue, as I knew I would have no recollection of events that I read two plus years ago.

Bottom line, have you ever read an issue that you didn't overly enjoy at first but then years later, read it again and find yourself more intrigued or enjoying it to the extent that you wonder why it didn't feel that way to you originally? That is what has happened to me.

I know I have gone through the opposite, where you enjoy an issue and then read it at a much later time only to find it dated, just not as well written or just not as fun as you remember, but to find an issue #1 that didn't hit for you for some reason and then read it again two years later and you feel the confusion as to why you didn't enjoy it as much the first time? I can't remember that happening to me. Maybe it has, but man ...

Yes, only two issues in, but I am really captivated by what the heck is going on in this title now. It is all started by just reading the first issue again and finding it pretty damn interesting.

Crazy
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 10:28:54 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 02:06:12 PM »

I remember wanting my buddy to buy more than the first 3 issues. Reading them I thought what a great unknown threat, stemming from a past event that has me hooked, as it now determines what has occurred in this present time.

Seems like a random sentence, unless you have read the first few issues. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 03:35:14 PM »

I get this in TPB so I read the first arc all at once.  Was hooked right away and I've read the first 4 now.  It continues to get better and better.

I have had that happen to me before.  Usually it has to do with my expectations and when it doesn't meet them I don't enjoy it.  Then I go back later and re-read it with no expectations and realize it was actually pretty good - just different than I thought it would be.  Not sure if that is what happened to you here, but I know what you mean.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 05:17:17 PM »

Well, I'm back at it in trades!!

First 2 are done.

The layering is obviously improving, but ....I more layers! Or, I should say, I want it to mean that much more. Not quite there yet for me.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 08:24:00 PM »

I have to say that if you aren't into yet, or not enjoying as much as you think you should be, you probably are not going to
 Undecided

Save your money and go elsewhere I say.
 Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 09:33:12 PM »

Hmmm.  I may have to agree with Perry.  It hooked me pretty early and it only get's larger.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 01:54:29 PM »

I'm not head over heels in love with it through volume 2-but I don't always love all new books I start reading as well.

For sure, the beats are there, and with characters and histories becoming more recognizable, my want is increasing more and more. And I have all 6 trades, so in Hickman I trust!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 03:50:15 AM »

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/news/east-of-west-ending/

It's ending!

I will say...I am happy to know an ending is coming. I'm happy to see a conclusion. I don't want infinite long comics outside of the Big 2, apparently.

I get antsy reading, well, Image books and others, wondering...'how long will this go?' If the story starts to drag, or I lose interest, or it becomes a poor book, you don't hang around and wait for the next team-this is the team!

So, to know that I have been reading a story, and a story has a beginning, middle, and end, I am very pleased!

On the flip side...don't ask me about Morning Glories.  Angry

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 12:04:58 PM »

This is good news.  This story has been dragging for awhile now and it’s good to know we’re getting somewhere.  I’m looking forward to the wrap up!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 02:06:13 AM »

EAST OF WEST 45

A tragically beautiful piece. I can't help but think that all the other things in the book really meant nothing except for the vengeance and need for a man to protect his child and love him. The rest almost feels superfluous, especially when taken with the soliquoy of the last page.

Like the nations of the book, and everyone else, they all fall apart, crack, break, get killed. But love endures, love builds up, love will win out. What a hauntingly sweet, and bittersweet moment for sacrifice and love. Very cool.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS