HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:08:19 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thunderbolts premieres in theaters July 25, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The good ol' days...my trip of memory lane  (Read 4758 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: April 26, 2015, 09:53:57 PM »

So, I finally finished up rereading DnA's Guardians of the Galaxy (circa 2010). This involved the crossover with  War of Kings. This was after Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest. Nova at this time, all building up to Thanos Imperative, then after that some Annihilators...holy crap I LOVED ALL THIS STUFF.

Just FANTASTIC. The drama/lineage/history of the works between Adam Warlock/Magus, Thanos, Drax & Moondragon/ w Phyla, Star-lord, Mantis, seeing Jack Flag from Gruenwald's Cap in Space(!!!! love that !!!), but team building, what arcs, what excitement, what planning.

And now I poo-pah. It's me, you know it's coming. Sorry Sad

Bendis GotG sucks ass. I ...I can't stand it. Marvel's easy revisionist manner to just let Bendis right a scaled down, character bankrupt version of those characters...drives me crazy.

As far as I've seen, it still hasn't been truly explained how Star-lord looks/ or is different (time skips! or something) and it's over 20 issues before explaining how they got out of the cancerverse.

Beyond that...Agent Venom is an obnoxious blah. Art duties on the book have really suffered (as of 6 months ago, due to Unlimited). All I'm trying to say is~

Reread your past issues, and love the work that you do have. You CAN go back to what you loved and feel that way again. Been spending all day doing so. And right now, it's a happy thing I've needed.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 10:53:37 PM »

The Bendis era lost me when they added Iron Man.  Really?  Iron Man?  I liked the addition of Angelena.  But then Venom.  Ugh.  I like this Venom but not in GoG.

Plus, I miss the rest of the cast.  Especially Mantis and Bug (I know he's a DC property now).

Nothing beats those Abnett and Lanning issues.  NOTHING.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 11:31:02 PM »

The Bendis era lost me when they added Iron Man.  Really?  Iron Man?  I liked the addition of Angelena.  But then Venom.  Ugh.  I like this Venom but not in GoG.
Man,Jeff back at issue 1? Wink yeah I saw thzt Hollywood bs affecting the title and didn't care for it myself either.

Plus, I miss the rest of the cast.  Especially Mantis and Bug (I know he's a DC property now).
say what?! How does work? Is this some kind of Micronauts legal thing?
Nothing beats those Abnett and Lanning issues.  NOTHING.
Damned straight. Its why I couldn't bear to sell Annihilation when I was tempted to at the movie release and am SO glad that I haven't!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 12:27:49 AM »

A) Are you sure about Bug. Maybe you're just thinking about Ambush Bug?

B) Bendis can not write anymore than 4 main characters at a time. When he is writing (concentrating on) one character, he is very good (Daredevil, Spider-Man) and with two characters he is amazing (Alias, Sam & Twitch) but with four or more he just doesn't ... I don't know ... just makes them all sound the same? I guess. I don't get it. Love his stuff when it is small cast but just run away, usually, when it is a team. I mean, I will read his stuff he does on team books, but it is just not as enjoyable as his minimal team stuff.

C) D&A's Nove and GotG was fantastic books to read back then!!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 04:05:19 AM »

A) Are you sure about Bug. Maybe you're just thinking about Ambush Bug?

Yes you are correct.  Got my Bugs confused.  Maybe there's hope for his return to the GoG afterall.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS