HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:41:28 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: SUICIDE SQUAD  (Read 8708 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: July 14, 2015, 05:20:59 PM »

Well, we also go this from San Diego too!!!

https://youtu.be/VnYkkyZATmU

(and yes, I did do the html in brackets and with backslash, but when I post, they just disappear. OH well. Wink

As for the movie...wow, we are going dark, and we get to see Batman in the trailer too!!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 06:28:04 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 06:31:58 PM »

I fixed it for you Jimmy.  Not sure why it doesn't like you.   Wink

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 08:12:00 AM »

The reviews are coming in and ... uh-oh ... really?

I was pumped up for this movie and even thought about going to the dreaded, evil big-screen showing, but now I think I may have to wait on this. I hope this is a case of reviewers just not getting it or missing the point or some shit, but I don't know guys, a 35 so far from Rotten Tomatoes doesn't sound too good and the Metacritic score of 46, while somewhat more promising, doesn't lead me into sighs of relief.

There is hope however as some reviewers really dug it, but I seen that some of those that liked it stated things like it was a good middle-finger to comic movies. Does that mean like Deadpool was a good middle-finger or the reverse of that (whatever that could be)?

Plus, it is just movie reviewers right now. Not the best line of opinion.

However, with most thoughts being that the first 15 to 30 minutes are pretty good and then it starts to spiral downward, I am a little concerned. I honestly was getting pretty psyched about this darn thing.
 Undecided

Let me know how it is, guys, when you can. I know this isn't gonna stop you all from hitting the theaters, nor should it, but I am gonna wait for your opinion, all of which I trust more than "reviewers", before I even consider walking into that vile, dark room with the big, white monolith at the front.
 Grin  

EDIT - and perhaps THIS article is timely? When will companies learn? Pick your screenplay, pick your director, pick your cast and then let go of it. If it flops it is because you failed and picked incorrectly. Curse, and then try again. Stop making your choices and then turn around and micro-manage the process or start second guessing everything. It only hurts the product more than just letting your original decisions ride out. Good or bad, stop messing with it.
 Angry
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 09:13:18 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 01:05:34 AM »

I'm waiting for it to release on iTunes.  I had bad feelings about it from the get go and I don't know why.  Too bad if this us true. 

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 05:49:09 PM »

I'm going to see it Tuesday with a group of us comic friends, so if nothing else, we can harass the movie and make ourselves have a good experience, even if (and most realistically), the movie is bad.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 06:06:26 PM »

Seems like fans like it more than the critics, though most agree the first half is when you should walk away as it just starts to decline in the second/third act.

It would have taken a wide-spread, solid review for me to hit the theaters anyway, though I thought it about it, so I am still going to watch it at home. Nothing really lost for me. I'm gonna see it regardless of what people think.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 11:55:45 AM »

It's very pedestrian.

First half is fine (it's not a 'blew me away beginning!' like Thor 1-now that was a damned cool opening!). But after that, the film becomes pedestrian and boring. If most, or even some of the rumors were true, then Ayers had way too much WB execs breathing down his neck to change this, change that, be more like this, and ruined the film he was making.

The ending is too pat, the protagonist is boring and dumb visually as well as in machinations and purpose (which was to BE EVIL), and the plot was of no consequence, as was the danger, as were the characters and their interactions. Everything was essentially a splash page version in the movie; here's this guy being cool, here's this character moment, here's something fun for this person.

But nothing truly links these people together like Guardians did for their band of rogues.

A solo Deadshot movie would have been cool. A Joker/Harley movie would have been great. A Captain Boomerang with ANY lines would have been nice.

I liked this Joker. He was definitely chaotic and scary enough for me! I dug him!!  Cool

But, in the end, if the DC movie universe is Man of Steel, Bat v Super, and Suicide Squad; you'd best hope that WW is a clear, out of the park winner for the entire year, and hope that enough influence from Affleck and Geoff Johns stymies Snyder to save Justice League.

Because none of those 3 movies comes close to being as good as Marvel's poorest film-Incredible Hulk. The one no one talks about. Ever.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 12:11:22 PM »

Undecided
Well damn. Was kinda hoping that the "DC guy"  Wink would at least enjoy it enough to give me hope of a little bright spots when I do eventually see the darn thing. I mean, I am sure it isn't total crap, but seems, at least from your initial reaction, there isn't too much to cling to here.

But hey, are there any "cool" parts? Are the effects pretty decent? You at least seem to like Leto's Joker so that is cool. And I guess he and Robbie have chemistry? I hope? I hear they got Amanda Waller down as well. I guess what I am asking is are the characters/actors all there but just the story and/or directing isn't up to snuff or is there an overall breaking of this movie? He asks hoping for no huge spoilers.
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 12:31:13 PM »

Because none of those 3 movies comes close to being as good as Marvel's poorest film-Incredible Hulk. The one no one talks about. Ever.

Wow.  That says it all right there.  It shouldn't be that hard to make a great DC film and yet...

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 04:52:05 PM »

Oh, I will for sure come back and expound when I have a keyboard and desk top again!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 11:34:57 PM »

Undecided
Well damn. Was kinda hoping that the "DC guy"  Wink would at least enjoy it enough to give me hope of a little bright spots when I do eventually see the darn thing. I mean, I am sure it isn't total crap, but seems, at least from your initial reaction, there isn't too much to cling to here.

I won't call it total crap, either. It's...it's akin to watching a poor Arnold Schwarzenegger movie from the 80s. Raw Deal? Nothing special or great about that movie, but you take your moments when you can.

But hey, are there any "cool" parts? Are the effects pretty decent? You at least seem to like Leto's Joker so that is cool. And I guess he and Robbie have chemistry? I hope? I hear they got Amanda Waller down as well. I guess what I am asking is are the characters/actors all there but just the story and/or directing isn't up to snuff or is there an overall breaking of this movie? He asks hoping for no huge spoilers.
 Cheesy

Oh definitely cool moments! Deadshot has some mucho cool moments. Will Smith brings a thug swagger to Floyd that is funny and fun to watch. Margot Robbie is really cool as Harley-but there are a lot of moments where she and her act are forced a little too heavy into scenes. I think she and Leto do really well with each other. Joker's story kind of runs across and around the big plot of the movie; I would have preferred to see more of that then the Squad, honestly!! Waller is believeable and done really well by Viola. So, I did dig her.

The effects of the end Big moment are just junk. Just crap. If you've read that this movie seems a mashup at times of Ghostbusters 1 & 2, you aren't far off.

The story? Derivative. Flat. And mostly, really rushed and empty of true substance. I feel there is so much stuff on the floor. Boomerang might as well not be in the movie. You wouldn't know it that he was gone. Just not used. Things develop between the Squad far too quickly. It's not believable, or really understood why they do. There's no real...reason for the overall big bad doing what they are-or why we truly need the Squad now-or better yet, why this Squad? Croc, like Boomerang, doesn't do much, is needed, or seems a member of the team. Those moments are kept for the Squad members with biggest Hollywood stars. And I can't say enough how much I hated Kinnamon's role as Flagg. Just awful. Angry military guy who hates being saddled with problems and bucks the whole thing until he needs them-because he's hid secrets. Again, awful 80s action movie tropes.

More than anything, it just feels like so much is missing. Story is near missing, the reasons and substance of the Squad are flat, and to be honest, the characters simply don't have enough to go on and use. Guardians had so many moments, big, small, together, seperate, that said so much. There's plenty of movie here, but you only get to know Harley and Deadshot. The rest are truly flak (okay, Diablo is fleshed out more, but his moments become really rushed when it should be slower).

That's non-spoilery! Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 01:39:51 PM »

Very nice post, Jimbo. I really feel what your saying.

Okay, so not great, but mostly due to effects, missed chances and a story that we've seen countless times, but worth the watch (at least on disc ... or perhaps a matinee for those that do go to the theater) for the character moments we do see, if for nothing else.

Good. Now, for me, the wait.  Grin

That's non-spoilery! Wink

Indeed it was.  Smiley Wink  great job!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 04:02:30 PM »

I'm going to wait on this too unless I have some time to kill on a Saturday morning.  No sense dragging the family along.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 01:54:08 AM »

Yeah Jeff...I wouldn't bring the family, unless you want the stare from the wife for any future suggestions to see comics movies...."oh, will this by like Suicide Squad? REmember that? Is this one like that one? Hmm?"

That's why my wife (wisely) said 'no thanks' to the squad.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 10:58:10 PM »

Finally saw this movie. Well, I finally saw the first hour. Right after
Pyro dude finally did something and blasted the "beings" (that look ridiculous as hell) that is when
I stopped watching. Me no likey this product.

Okay, that's not true, it is not the product it is the production of the product that is really weak.

Yes Jimmy summed it up quite nicely. Just all over the place. Horrible editing. Not so great script. And look, when you have creatures from another realm that fight by... hahaha ... throwing punches (? What is this, the 80's?)... yeah, not good. And yeppers, it reminded me of the Mario Borthers movie instead of a DC major picture.

I think this is actually the worst DC film yet, at least for me. Yes, it was that bad.

Once it hits HBO I may try and finish it, maybe, if I am bored as hell and decide I want to finish it. But to be honest, I really don't care if that ever happens or not.

Bonus point for Robbie in those shorts, so that pulls it up to a ...

3 outta 10 - Koopa Troopas
 Undecided

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS