HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:24:03 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: CONVERGENCE  (Read 18608 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 11:16:13 AM »

Here Here!!

Fantastic book, from what I remember of it Wink And I don't think you're crazy at all for spending a mere $20 for such an important part of your comic history. That was when out Legion was out Legion, sir. Well worth remembering.

I am not positive, but I think anything prior to the Legion series that went on Baxter paper (I mean after that series ended) would be where I would like to stay forever with the Legion. That was the last series that had any good stories about my legion in it. I still hated with that stupid ass Baxter paper to begin with, just like the Teen Titans did, but ... only confused people with that Tales of crap. No repeats to start but then repeats with what issue?

I left the Legion during that run and stopped around '87 or so and need to go back and get that run as I did stop early. Of course I missed the 90's Legion stuff like Legionaries, so I can't speak of that, as I was well away from my minimal exposure to DC and Comics as a whole by then.

Have always wanted to go back and try Waid's short run again, I don't remember caring for it when it first came out, but I only tried the first issue or two.

Anyway, holy h... Sorry for the hijack, didn't mean to ramble on about my Legion, I came here just to congratulate Jeff  Undecided

Congrats, Jeff !!  Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 03:03:31 PM »

Attaboy Jeff! Here I was reading your post wondering 'huh, can I find that on ebay?'

No matter; get to the end of your post and there it is. Found already! That's great. Grell in his utter prime? Fantastic. You'll have to put up some pictures or scans if you can. Wink

Here are the pic's that were on the eBay page.  Looks to be in decent condition except maybe that top right hand corner.  Nevertheless - price was right.  Sorry for the large size.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 03:41:24 PM »

I left the Legion during that run and stopped around '87 or so and need to go back and get that run as I did stop early. Of course I missed the 90's Legion stuff like Legionaries, so I can't speak of that, as I was well away from my minimal exposure to DC and Comics as a whole by then.

I'm also reading this at the moment.  It picks up after the Great Darkness Saga with Levitz and Giffen's run.  A lot more of the new Invisible Kid, Blok, and White Witch than I like but still a fun read.

Legion of Super-Heroes The Curse TPB (2014 DC) Deluxe Edition 1-1ST

1st printing. Collects Legion of Super Heroes (1980-1987 2nd Series) #297-313 and ANNUAL #2-3. Written by Paul Levitz. Art by Keith Giffen, Larry Mahlstedt, Dave Gibbons, Curt Swan, George Tuska, Kurt Schaffenberger, Gene Colan, Romeo Tanghal and Karl Kesel. Cover by Carmine Infantino & Bob Oksner (Supergirl), Paris Cullins (Invisible Kid), George Perez (Colossal Boy), Joe Kubert (Dawnstar), Kurt Schaffenberger (Superboy), Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez (Sun Boy), Don Heck (White Witch), Jim Aparo (Karate Kid), Jan Duursema (Queen Projectra), Gene Colan & Frank Giacoia (Timber Wolf), Dave Cockrum (Phantom Girl), Walt Simonson (Blok), George Tuska & Mike DeCarlo (Star Boy), Jim Sherman (Dream Girl), Howard Chaykin (Brainiac 5), Curt Swan (Ultra Boy), Howard Bender & Dave Hunt (Wildfire), Keith Giffen & Larry Mahlstedt (Cosmic Boy), Keith Giffen & Dan Adkins (Proty), Dick Giordano (Saturn Girl), Larry Mahlstedt & Keith Giffen (Lightning Lad), Gil Kane (Mon-El), Trevor Von Eeden (Element Lad), Joe Orlando (Chameleon Boy), Ross Andru & Romeo Tanghal (Shadow Lass), Ernie Colon (Duo Damsel) and Joe Staton (Bouncing Boy). It's a new helping of 1980s Legion epics, including the return of the seemingly dead Invisible Kid, the showdown between the heroic Lightning Lad and the evil Lightning Lord and more! Softcover, 544 pages, full color.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 03:42:25 PM »

Sorry - didn't mean to hijack this thread with a Legion of Super Heroes discussion.  I will stop now.....until Convergence Legion issue 2 comes out.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 04:59:34 PM »

Ahhh yes, that centerfold pic with my two favorite girls, Phantom and Dream, leaning on Supes, Wildfire and Dawnstar (my favorite non-couple/kinda/couple), the underused Sunboy (who should have been the star of more stories), Chameleon Boy (who had my favorite power as a kid), Brainiac 5 (should've been so much more to me when I was younger ... I just didn't grasp his importance), Mon-El (who I liked way more than Super-el  Wink) and Cosmic Lad, with his incredible "I just got back from a 1970's homosexual BDSM party" outfit !! LOVE EM!! Just damn LOVE THEM ALL!!!

Crap. Time to go Digital hunting now ...  Cheesy (And also sorry I hijacked the thread ... AGAIN!!!  Cheesy)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 05:05:15 PM »

Well, I had recently picked up The Great Darkness Saga trade, and....then added all the rest of the trades after that to my wish list. They had gotten a good amount of reprinting done in the last 10 years, so they go on for about another 4 trades to purchase!!  Smiley

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 06:26:40 PM »

And as if by magic, I find THIS today.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 07:58:07 PM »

Sadly, this article was much better than the actual Convergence comic.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 08:39:42 PM »

Sadly, this article was much better than the actual Convergence comic.

Cheesy Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2015, 12:43:12 PM »

Yeah, but now I just feel bad for the loss of the Legion. I can honestly say I have no idea what kind of...push or angle that could be used to 'recreate' that Legion feel that made it a #1 DC book and a challenger of X-men comics numbers back in the day.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2015, 04:07:13 AM »

Convergence 3 was definitely better than 2, and 4 was definitely better than 3! That's something! ...right? Wink

At least it's moving somewhere a little bit. But still a dumb formula; Earth 2 heroes keep fighting Tellos mercury metal captivity and breaking free. That's it. Blargh. Once they move past that, all the better I say for this.

A quick hit:

Crime Syndicate was awesome!!! Phil Winslade has a style that I always enjoy seeing, and way to have an issue that drops a pretty significant moment that just makes sense for a city trapped under the dome! So cool!!

The Flash was introspectivey enough that I came to enjoy it; not that it won anything major in the awards department, but still good.

Justice League of America had great narration by Sue Dibny and good character moments for the 'main 3' of the Detroit League that I did come to really like this one.

Hawkman...disappointed. Quite a bit, sadly.

Action comics was rather good as well, detailing different Supermens' lives and the roles they've adapted to. Adventures of Superman? Not so much, not very good at all. Sad

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2015, 02:43:40 AM »

Month 2

Convergence 5-again, better than the last issue, but not mind blowingly great either. I've never read any of the characters in it, so it might as well be...a random series.

Superman #2-get to see Lois & Clark's child born. Good enough. Love the art style, but when it was finished...it just stopped. Obviously the main series is where I get to see what does happen with these worlds, but the whole visit old friends shtick leaves me feeling sadder, for these characters are simply gone, right away, again!! Sad

Justice League #2 was a little bad ass. The pre 52 Mera knew that Flashpoint Aquaman was not her Arthur...and it showed by issues end!

I didn't get any other issues this week.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2015, 06:52:15 PM »

Convergence 6-again...just a wee better, but then again, Fabian Nicieza is listed as co-write, so shit finally gets moving along.

Green Arrow #2-a nice little family across time moment. With Rags Morales art, at leas an 'aw shucks, ain't that sweet?' issue.

Superman: Man of Steel: Just dumb. Art that may be called okay if it was in a Archie comic from 25 years ago.

Back up about Bizarro #1? Oh, I'm gonna laugh a lot at that title! Cheesy

Superboy #2-ending premise is confusing, but good to see Superboy (MY Kon-El) learn again why he is a hero.

Aquaman #2-just cool. This could have been a great mini with this version of Aquaman running around.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2015, 01:26:53 AM »

I won't lie. Knowing what I do now, there would be ALOT more books left on the shelf. As it is, I left 3 Convergence titles on the shelf. Got the #1s, but didn't see any reason to go back with #2.

Convergence #7 offers more, but nothing that gives the lasting changes or features I'm hoping for. Last issue is next week, and here's hoping SOMETHING comes to relevance for future reading of the DC universe.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2015, 11:34:47 AM »

I gotta say I did enjoy #7 more than any of the previous issues. This one was almost there and that is hard to believe, as I am not a Lobdell fan, at all. He is a jerk and a writer that from what I can tell, is stuck in the 90's. Still, while this one wasn't fantastic, it at least gets you kind of excited for the final issue. That is something I don't think I was expecting to have happen.
 Undecided

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS