HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:39:27 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Joker 2 premieres in theaters October 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fans going too far?  (Read 6216 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: March 17, 2015, 01:29:31 PM »

So thanks to a few (a lot of) fans that cried foul, DC has canceled the 'Joker Variant' of Batgirl #41 drawn by American Vampire artist Rafael Abuquerque. A fascinating aspect is that the cancellation request came from artist Abuquerque himself after fans that were objecting the cover started to receive threats.

First of all I am saddened to think that fans had bad things to say about the cover in the first place. Whether it be from the emotional punch that the cover gave them or whatever else they could have said. This is a perfect cover. It makes you remember, makes you feel what happened to Barbara. It is scary. It is perfect.

Having said that ... while maintaining my thoughts of the people that had issues with this cover ... and after looking at all the other Joker variants, I can somewhat understand why some people may not like the cover. Due to the mostly jovial interpretation of most of the Joker covers (not all mind you), I can see why some may be hit even stronger when they come across this cover. However, I still don't agree, I think it is a perfect cover and I believe the saying "just don't buy it" fits perfectly here.

But then, if that wasn't enough, stupid ass "fans" started to threaten those that felt the cover was in bad taste. Condemning their opinion by threatening them. Real stupid shit. So thanks to their idiocy, they no longer get to have the cover they were defending.  Cheesy While I am sad that any fans were able to sway an artist, one way or the other, the fact that the dumb-asses that threatened people that didn't enjoy what they enjoy, now don't get to have what they enjoy Cheesy

That is the only good thing to come of this I suppose.

Story HERE

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 02:53:48 PM »

Wow.  That is a powerful cover.

Without reading the article I can say, with the current NFL scandals, I'm not surprised there was a fan out cry although I'll bet it was a small group.  Not sure where I land on this.  I'm a big proponent of freedom of expression - even if I don't like that expression.  The more I think about it though, it is a variant cover.  Any LCS could order the other covers if they don't want to sell it.  And I think I'm going with I like the cover because it draws out a strong reaction from me.  And really, isn't that the purpose of art?

I'll go back and read the article when I can but those are my initial thoughts.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 02:58:52 PM »

Been having fun discussing this with old poster Iron Centurion/Neil Kapit's thread on facebook. I'll copy in my posts and discuss!!

"Lets also look at the Superman cover. A goofy homage to The Movie with him in flight with Joker/Lois. Goofy, silly fun. or the Action comics cover. There are others like those, and others that do highlight his craziness. this cover is highly jarring. An amazing piece too. However, the tone is very far away from what the book portrays, and the image alone implies a deadly violence that will come to his depicted young girl. I won't lie, it's a terrifying depiction. For that, I can see the artist not wanting to set that out there."

***(much bruhahaha erupts on the thread about The Killing Joke, and it deviates from the cover)***

"I thought the debate was going to be centered on the cover here. Whether you want to quibble on the definition of 'assault' or 'sexual assault' since the reader doesn't see any forceful penetration against the tied up, naked, girl with the GSW-that falls under your own prerogative, I guess.
    Going back to the nature of the cover; the furor is raised by fans and non-fans alike. The visual narrative is an intimate scene of attacker and victim. Within the shot, the victim is powerless and quite terrified. Add in the back history knowledge of KJ, and it comes across as poorly thought out for the reaction that it could, and did, receive."

***(a response from a guy who I don't really agree with)***

"Go double check all the other covers quick; I did. This is the only one courting such a drastic take. I agree; there is nothing sexualized about it. However, there is no hero bravado, defiance, or courage under duress. This girl/young woman (however old she is to be depicted) is utterly at the mercy of a known murderer. It's a woman who is made powerless by a man with implied threat and violence. That's how it's problematic."

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 03:03:49 PM »

From the article:

"Multiple websites ran editorials critical of the image, and the hashtag #changethecover drew dozens of posts on Twitter and Tumblr asking DC to not release the variant."

Dozens.  Like I said, a small group.  I'll bet the one's on the other side doing the threatening were a small group too.  What a bunch of idiots.  DC would have likely ignored the small group wanting it pulled if these other jackasses hadn't started threatening those people.

Definitely a sad outcome for what was essentially an homage to The Killing Joke.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 03:18:46 PM »

HOWEVER-threats of violence against anyone involved? That is too far, and damned terrible to hear. Make your thoughts known as an American, not as a member of ISIL for pete's sake. That I'll never fall in line behind.  Angry

I won't lie; a powerful cover! But...is it a cover too far?

I could spiral conversation into all kinds of avenues here. Some of which could be fun to discuss. Some, maybe not so much.

But it is a powerful image, whether or not you know the history. Is it an unforeseen consequence, this homage? Due the furor and feelings on both sides? For sure. Unforeseen, and utterly unintended as well. I'd bet Rafa Albuquerque was looking his computer screen reading going "....what?" in mix of stupified astonishment and duress as well.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 04:58:37 PM »

Not sure how we went from a controversial cover to ISIL -  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy - but I whole heartedly agree with you that there's no excuse for threatening someone who doesn't share your opinion.  Unless it's Perry of course.   Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 05:24:32 PM »

Not sure how we went from a controversial cover to ISIL -  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy - but I whole heartedly agree with you that there's no excuse for threatening someone who doesn't share your opinion.  Unless it's Perry of course.   Grin

I wanted to get there first.  Cool

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 06:43:32 PM »

Yeah I ... wait ... what?

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 11:37:44 AM »

Yeah I ... wait ... what?

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Grin. Just kidding of course!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS