HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 09:40:45 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ACTION COMICS  (Read 13360 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: March 11, 2015, 07:52:40 PM »

Hey Jimmy, that artist on Action, Aaron Kuder, that stuff looks pretty good to me. He new?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 11:25:02 PM »

Relatively, yeah. I first saw him really appear drawing Batman Inc (pre-New 52 and post as well). Since then, he's been coming on! I've really come to enjoy his stylings.

A fun mesh, visually to me, of Frank Quitely and Scott Kolins. A little bit of the 'less is more' but nothing is left out in the expression of the characters or action either.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 02:50:50 AM »

I definitely see Kolins in his style. Why I like it I think, as I really enjoy Kolins stuff.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 04:05:39 PM »

Relatively, yeah. I first saw him really appear drawing Batman Inc (pre-New 52 and post as well).

Was he the artist during the RIP storyline when Damien died?  I think I assumed it was Quitely or Kolins.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 04:50:46 PM »

Whoops, I was wrong on that issue. That's Chris Burnham. A very similar looking fella as well. Wait, was I wrong on Kuder? Let me check. I think Kuder may have been on New Guardians, instead.

EDIT: pardon me, Kuder was on New Guardians. Burnham took over for the Batman Inc stuff, due to his similarity to Quitely. However, I think Kuder and Burnham are very, very similar too!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 04:53:55 PM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 03:51:26 AM »

Okay, the Bizarro issue was simply...amazing. I laughed, I enjoyed, it's a sci-fi trope of 70's comics that Pak and Kuder just make fit to the Superman they are doing. I loved it. LOVED IT!!! So enjoyable. A piece I would hold up to people to say "see? This is how you can also do a Superman story!"

So very good. So very, very good.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 01:44:42 PM »

Sweet.
Will be awhile before I get to the point I want to read this title, but I have heard a lot of good coming from the Pak run. Will check it out eventually.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 12:25:16 AM »

Sweet.
Will be awhile before I get to the point I want to read this title...

And by "awhile" I mean under 12 hours !!  Grin Cheesy

Thinking about going ahead and grabbing Paks run from issue #25 on if I can get them cheap enough. Why not, I don't have time as it is now to read, so let's just keep piling on.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 01:12:43 PM »

Sweet.
Will be awhile before I get to the point I want to read this title...

And by "awhile" I mean under 12 hours !!  Grin Cheesy

Thinking about going ahead and grabbing Paks run from issue #25 on if I can get them cheap enough. Why not, I don't have time as it is now to read, so let's just keep piling on.

Ha! Nice!

You'll want to skip any issue that says 'Doomed' on top, but after that, I certainly hope you enjoy the book!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 11:36:10 PM »

Just got caught up on issues 47-49.

I think I'm done with Superman.   Angry

Mind you, this Wrath arc, involving sticky shadow powers and such, I've generally disliked. Well, not generally, kind of completely to be honest!! This is Pak and Kuder, and I've really enjoyed this run. Also, as I ruminate here on it, I've passed up 2 fantasy series in the stores because they delve into 'shadow magic' and 'the powers of the night.' Blah. Tired trope. I think it's weak, and the only one I like with it is The Shade. Maybe Cloak too. Wink Darkness is a fun twist on it too. But this long in Superman? Comes out to be uninteresting.

More than anything, this weaker T-shirt Superman has just worn me down. This isn't Superman enough for me. I enjoy the champion who truly stands up for the smaller people. I just don't like it when they call him 'Clark' instead. What I enjoyed after a small fashion these past 2 decades is that no one at all cares or thinks that Superman has a 'secret identity.' He's friggin' Superman!

This has to be put back in the bottle. I mean, Daredevil has done it twice now  Roll Eyes , so give me my Man of Steel back. This charade has gone on long enough. I don't remember solicits for Action #50 (I may have already ordered it), but I quit 'Superman' 3-4 months ago, and I may be leaving Action behind as well.

Just be done with it, DC.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 01:31:37 PM »

Sorry to hear about that, Jimmy. It truly sucks when writers screw with a characters voice or worse, what you seem to be going through.

While it isn't exactly the same, and at first you may ... you will scoff at the writer  Grin, I honestly think you should give HUCK a try. Millar started this because, as he put it, he was mad about the last Superman film and wanted to bring Superman back to being what Superman should be (or something like that). Now, say what you will about the man or his intentions here, but he is writing a pretty cool "Superman" type book with this title.

Next time you're at the ole LCS, just flip through a copy, I mean, honestly, I'm surprised I liked the first issue just as much as you may be surprised you don't hate it.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Although the first issue was more wordy than Hucky.  Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 02:58:04 PM »

Also Jimmy, Just saw that Tomasi is coming onto both Action Comics and Superman proper. Even I may try those. I really like his work, most of the time. Maybe there's a new hope? (Though of course, out of the gate we get a 3 title crossover (with Batman/Superman)
 Undecided

Still ... I don't know, maybe I get this. Gonna be further down on the amount of Marvel titles by then so maybe ... yeah. At least to try it

EDIT - And then again ... damn it ... looks like the Superman/Wonder Woman title is also involved, making this a four title event. Not sure why I have no interest to even try that S/WW title (other than just getting sick at the early issue's "love interest" crap that was forced on them), but still may give it a try, just to see what's what.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 03:03:09 PM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 01:00:54 PM »

I may have to give Huck a try today when I go to the LCS. Wink

As for Tomasi, I had thought the same thing to try it-until I see that many of the satellite books are pulled into it. I can wait on that. maybe even just get the tpb for Super-cheap when that comes out.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 01:56:48 PM »

As for Tomasi, I had thought the same thing to try it-until I see that many of the satellite books are pulled into it.

And that kinda says it all, when just a couple months ago you were getting at least three of the four anyway and a few months further back you were getting them all  Undecided

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 10:37:36 AM »

So Jimmy, if it is true that Tomasi will be the writer of Superman at the relaunch, is there anymore draw to pick this crossover up to see what he does with it?

I may certainly jump back on once that number 1 hits, just to try his stuff. Someone, sometime, someway must write a Superman I want to read, and with Supes hopefully losing that 24 hour weakness/atomic blast stuff can only help me.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS