HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 03:01:01 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gonna do it; a restrospective read of OMIT  (Read 4781 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: March 02, 2015, 03:10:16 AM »

Because, admittedly, I only Byrne-stole it at the time and read ALOT of message boards about it. With unlimited, I'm diving into it.

Because I feel like getting spittin' mad!  Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 03:52:22 PM »

So, I read this.

It's highly revisionist, as Quesada loves to serve up his own spin on how Mary Jane viewed the marriage, the danger, yadda yadda yadda. As I read further through it, all I can see is that it's a huge backtrack on the Mephisto/Devil deal. The brain trust of Strange/Richards/Stark causes the world to conveniently forget, in big comic book fashion (which, I'm okay with. IT'S COMICS Cool  ), but it makes me wonder why not simply do this in the first place?!!!!

In the end, I'm still disappointed with sloppy, poor writing and pitiful uses of characterization. Because Mary Jane loves him so much, she can let him go to find another woman who is stronger than her (FALSE CHARACTERIZATION) to stand as Peter's love.

'cuz, ya know, as MJ says, she couldn't stand the thought of her or her other family being in the crosshairs of danger, but hey, some other woman can have that! Blecch.

Yet, because they love each other so much-and remember their loving life together!!!-they can then easily seperate and go their happy ways.

....wha???

It's all so confusing and poorly done.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 10:00:50 PM »

Yep, why I won't touch it.

Peter and MJ were married and then got divorced ... even though they both still love each other. That is how I remember it. No false characterization, both people are still 100% correct in their reasoning, but they just couldn't be married. It happens.  Marriages end. Even "super" ones. It's no-ones fault. No devil, no bullshit women or men involved. Just an end to a "thing" not an end to love.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 05:28:36 AM »

And it'd be so easy, and so much in a comic book fashion to say "we were once together" instead of "we're divorced."

Just never mention the word marriage or divorce! "We've gone our seperate ways" or "We split apart" and never mention it again! You could have given us fans something to accept bitterly instead of scorn us or belittle us with terrible stories!

Then again, it's been, what, 20 years since Hal Jordan went crazy, killing foes, allies, and close friends alike to become Parallax? And all has been retconned away and mostly forgiven.

So, to relate, at some point the marriage will be so far away, it won't matter that it ended in the fashion that it did, because it will have essentially never happened. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 01:41:19 PM »

Well I know my anger has lessened, that is why I don't go back and read it  Cheesy Don't want to revisit that again.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS