HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 01:49:35 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A Spider-man of any color...  (Read 7899 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: February 24, 2015, 06:09:03 PM »

...is still Spider-man.

I'm all for it. Why not, really? If he's the everyman, then let him by anybody. Not saying it should be Donald Glover (but I dig that campaign), but whomever is qualified and carries it? I'd just love to love the presentation.

I was hoping for a Black Bond to hit first (particulary with rumors of wanting to get Idris Elba (!!!:) !!!!), but heck, Will Smith will already play Deadshot before that in Suicide Squad, Iris West is black, Perry White was played just fine by Laurence Fishbourne, and Eartha Kitt was Catwoman, so yeah, do it!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 09:19:56 PM »

Sadly there is no way I can disagree without sounding racist, but ... I disagree. I want Peter Parker to be in Marvel movies. You can have all the inclusion and yada yada, and yes, again, I know I sound racist, but I want a white Peter Parker. Not saying I don't want a Mile Morales, but can we just get Peter in first?

DOes it matter in the grand scheme of things, yes. Yes it does. Stop changing characters just because. How about that.

Make the Black Panther movie, make more heroic roles for more people of color, but I just hate it when it is done because "why not"

Lets make Peter gay as well. Ohhh, I know, now I am going over board, but I mean "why not"?

I have nothing but respect for everyone, but that doesn't mean I want everyone to be my someone.

Yes, it sucks that most comic characters that were created back when they were created are white, well, start making more that isn't. And stop moving back movies that are starring heroic characters of color (IE Black Panther) and start moving them forward instead.

Now that I have said what I wanted to say, and sound unlike how I want to sound, I shall now slink back into my corner  Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:43:00 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 01:23:28 AM »

There's nothing racist in anything you said.  No apologies are needed.  I have the same complaints about changing who a character is just to be PC.  I honestly think it is more insulting to say no one will like a character of color/gay UNLESS we change an established white/straight character.  I don't care what a characters color or orientation is.  And I don't think the majority of people in this day and age care either.  If a new character is written well and has a compelling story, that's all that matters.  People will read it and come back for more.

Sorry for the rant but it irks me that we aren't allowed to talk about race issues openly.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 01:57:41 AM »

Yeah and I don't want to sound like the guy that says "my best friend is black", but I know a lot of black folks and a couple Latinos that just get tired of all this. Half of them hated the fact that Johnny Storm is black in the new FF and the other half couldn't care less one way or the other.  Cheesy

Look guys, it isn't offensive to have a white superhero, but it sure seems like it is.

This is in no way a stab at you, Jimbo, its cool how you feel and all, I just wish ... I don't know man, it just seems crazy.

I see where Dan Slott said if you list 10 things that make Peter Spider-Man and one of them is that he is white, then you don't know Spider-Man (Or Peter ... I forgot now  Grin). And yes, that is true, but does changing him to look like someone else do anything to make him who he is? Again, I know there is a limited amount of "color" options for lead characters, I get it, but does change always have to happen to make something better?

I am happy that Sam is the new Cap, it doesn't make the white guy not be there.

I have no problem if they want Miles to be THE Spider-Man, fine, but let's keep him Miles. And by keeping him Miles we keep Peter ... the guy that Miles was inspired by.
 Angry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 02:09:00 AM »

I am happy that Sam is the new Cap, it doesn't make the white guy not be there.

I have no problem if they want Miles to be THE Spider-Man, fine, but let's keep him Miles. And by keeping him Miles we keep Peter ... the guy that Miles was inspired by.
 Angry

Yes! Yes!  This is exactly how I feel.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 03:12:03 AM »

This is in no way a stab at you, Jimbo, its cool how you feel and all, I just wish ... I don't know man, it just seems crazy.

No wounds here. Wink

I'm more of the mind that if this happens, then make sure that the actor, the role, the part, and the movie character are phenomenal. Not REALLY knowing what is going on with the FF movie, all I can say that Michael B. Jordan has been a very good promising actor from a young age, and done very well. So he's Johnny? Then he's Johnny. (why Sue isn't black...well, different thread).

I don't consider anything said here racist or discriminatory, either. (if I need say that?)

Are media outlets making this a big fire when there is only smoke? I admit to me it does have a stink of sensational to notice the character more (cuz that is apparently a hard thing to do  Roll Eyes ). So, "ooOoOo...what if Spidey was black?" and then leak that and watch the buzz just fly that much higher.

I think that if they are willing to look for an actor to fill the Peter Parker/Spider-man role, and they don't limit it to white guys, then that should speak to the essence that the character everyone cheers for and follows.

Of course, a full mask and costume helps, visually. A black Superman or Batman would honestly really just throw me.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 02:22:31 PM »

First of all ... well said Jimmy.

Secondly ...

Of course, a full mask and costume helps, visually. A black Superman or Batman would honestly really just throw me.

This is the issue I have. It adds a case of "WHA ...??" that doesn't need to be there.

Now while I wasn't a fan of making Johnny Storm black, I didn't mind it really as he is not an iconic figure head ... per se (not to say that people of color can only play second tier characters, but that it is easier to transition with them for me ... and most of the people of color that I know ... again, sorry if that sounds bad, not my intent) ... anyway ... what really bothered me is that they added another factor to the dynamic they didn't need to by keeping Sue white. If they are brother and sister, why not cast a black Sue Storm? Hell, we already had a Latino Sue Storm  Wink

All the outcry, if any, for more black superhero actors yet they don't cast a family member as black when the perfect opportunity is there?

Remember when the horrible Green Lantern film was cast and everyone bitched that it wasn't John Stewart? It wasn't because it was not a black actor, it was because most young people grew up with a black Green Lantern. I totally understood their point of view. It is the same thing with me on this. I grew up with most of the major players being white ... and while I am not opposed to change, I am also a person that wants the characters I grew up with to be represented. As do most people of color or at least ALL the ones I know.

Who is crying for a black Superman? No-one. Not any of the guys (and three gals) I know, even the younger ones I see at the LCS don't want that. Yet, honestly, wouldn't he be the perfect character to be played by a person of color?

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 02:38:04 PM »

One thing you touch on Perry that I had not considered, or thought of, was that if I was black/hispanic, would I like seeing my superhero made black/hispanic in the movies?

I obviously cannot speak nor say anything to the matter. Nor do I believe that there is one cohesive opinion about it.

Perhaps it would insulting, or even unflattering. Like the studios may be kowtowing to a demographic to get them to come and pay more. As if saying all the sweetest words will suddenly make a difference (RNC, looking at you).

Ultimately, would I still want Peter to be played in the style as some white kid from Queens? Sure. Although, since I've never been to New York, don't know what Queens is like, and I don't believe that Stan Lee's writing taught me what a kid from Queens is truly like, well....then I guess that's not that important. Wink

But I won't lie in saying that I loved Tobey Maguire's look of an adult Peter Parker as Spider-man.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 03:15:35 PM »

One thing you touch on Perry that I had not considered, or thought of, was that if I was black/hispanic, would I like seeing my superhero made black/hispanic in the movies?

I can only go by what I hear, and only what I hear here  Grin, but again, no-one (no person of color) that I have spoken with on the matter locally, is pushing for a race change on the characters they know. Especially "just because".

I have not spoken to anyone yet about the Aquaman casting, as I keep forgetting  Grin, but I personally really like that one. Aquaman IS a person of mixed race ... hell, mixed species  Cheesy, he should never be the blonde hair guy of the sea. Although I still love my Jim Aparo blonde hair blowing in the wind Aquaman.  Grin This casting makes perfect sense to me.

... Nor do I believe that there is one cohesive opinion about it.

Very, very true.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 05:42:42 PM »

I have not spoken to anyone yet about the Aquaman casting, as I keep forgetting  Grin, but I personally really like that one. Aquaman IS a person of mixed race ... hell, mixed species  Cheesy, he should never be the blonde hair guy of the sea. Although I still love my Jim Aparo blonde hair blowing in the wind Aquaman.  Grin This casting makes perfect sense to me.

There was an article at some other comic site I'll read-well, more an editorial. It talked about the characters that have a fundamental force of storytelling and legend to their origin. Superman-the messiah story, the herald; Batman-a primal avenger of wrongs; Spider-man-the orphan who rises to power/King Arthur, the under dog story, etc.

Then, there are the characters' narrative that gradually was shaped and hardened into their best example. To this, they speak of Iron Man, especially due to the movie narrative that melded into Ellis' changes and how Marvel comics took the character. The Iron Man we have now was sort of always there, but it was just waiting for the best manner to flourish and grown with its best aspect. Green Lantern under Johns also found this renaissance.

They put Aquaman into this category as well (but with a caveat that he hasn't made that jump). Here's a King Arthur figure (quite literally!), a pseudo-ostracized man between worlds, a man of fantasy, exploration, responsibility. Those elements really were loved once upon a time when his book was almost an instructional vehicle (think the 40s, 50s, along with his cartoon hour in the 60s). However, he became an easy joke after Superfriends. All the elements are still there...however, the zeitgeist of the comic community is waiting for them to be taken, hardened, and forged into something that much greater than it's individual parts. That time could be coming, depending on BvS's presentation of him in the movie, and what they do with him. It's as if the character is just waiting to come alive in the wonder and imagination of fans everywhere.

I feel Night Thrasher, Darkhawk, Adam-X; those 90s characters are being properly scorned now, instead of Arthur Curry. However, Aquaman is simply a B/C-lister as it is now. It's just going to take something...else...

After that, you have those characters where everything was tossed at them, but their narrative is a confused trope of several messes. To this, they speak of Hawkman, so there's that. Wink

To the original topic!!!!
-I'm cool that Jason Momoa is Aquaman. Not a blue eyed blonde heart throb, but an actual man of island descent? I think it's awesome!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS