HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 05:04:41 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Transformers: A New Generation premieres in theaters September 13, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ebay - You Need To Buy This  (Read 21316 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: February 24, 2015, 12:36:33 PM »

You Need To Buy - THIS

I have just read the first three issues of the maxi-series and I am blown away. So good.

The basic gist - we have an elderly man telling us his life story, that he lived through all the "comic book ages". When he was young, the "Golden Age" had not yet begun but there were heroes like the Crimson Avenger. Then along came the Flash, Atom, Hour-Man and more. The narrator, this old man, guides us through his younger years and he tells a story of how he was enamored with the heroes he saw. The heroes of the pre-Golden Age. His story interacts with these heroes and as his story continues, as he ages, so does  the "Age" of the comics ... it all changes with him.  He lives through and tells stories from each "Age".

He tells a great story of the pre-Golden Age and we see him interacting with the likes of the Atom and the Guardian. Then, during the early 50's and the McArthy bull-crap, the colorful heroes disappeared and gave way to westerns and the like, but then with the arrival of a certain alien from Krypton, the narrator talks us through his life during the Golden Age.

Then the Silver ... then ...

I have read through the Silver Age and am now getting ready to start on issue #4, where the younger players, like the Teen Titans come into play and can't wait for issue #5 with the Crisis era.

Anyway, if you can, and for $10 you should be able to, buy this series. Just check the link at the top and think about it Smiley
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:38:04 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 03:40:46 PM »

Bid placed!  Love these type of stories that span generations.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 05:26:33 PM »

Can't wait to see what you think. Please know it is more an homage to the days of old rather than being a true "hero story". I mean, the narrator guy is in each issue, but it is more about his life, living through the years ...  the changes in heroes ... while the heroes are more like backdrops that pop in, but it is still interesting to me.

It is more like Marvel's Marvels (a story told with the heroes as an aspect of the story) than it is like Byrne's Legends (where it showed the heroes going through the ages and being the story).

If you like the history of the comic medium, you should like this

If you win I will try and slow down so we can discuss each issue. Have to read the Teen Titans one though (even if they are only merely mentioned).
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 04:06:56 PM »

Change your mind, Jeff?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 04:45:41 PM »

Nope - I won!  And it's been shipped for Monday delivery.   Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 05:09:17 PM »

Okay, I bought/won an auction on another lot too.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 07:12:00 PM »

Nope - I won!  And it's been shipped for Monday delivery.   Grin

Do you have a different buyer name? Haha. I thought you were J***Y or something like that and this was won by a M***E person

SWEET!!!  Cool Now we HAVE to talk about this damn thing.  Smiley I will even wait on reading issue #4  Smiley

Man I am really hoping you guys like Len Wein's writing or I will be in some trouble  Cheesy

EDIT - But hey, at least I am not alone in thinking it is a good book (so far at least). It is hitting a solid 8.6 rating on ComicBookDatabase seen HERE
 Smiley
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:17:21 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 07:47:47 PM »

Do you have a different buyer name? Haha. I thought you were J***Y or something like that and this was won by a M***E person

That's weird.  When I click on the link you have at the top of the thread it goes to the one I won.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 07:48:46 PM »

That's great!!  Now this will be even more fun to read.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 09:42:46 PM »

That's weird.  When I click on the link you have at the top of the thread it goes to the one I won.

Hmmm, that is odd.  Huh

When I click it, it says M***E (with a positive feedback score of 353) won it with one bid.

Is it the Witchata KS one? With $9.75 "expedited shipping"?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 02:42:25 AM »

It must disguise the name because I do in fact have exactly 353 positive feedback.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 06:06:24 AM »

Cheesy
Wow, odd. That is exactly what they must do.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 05:11:57 PM »

Wow - that was fast!  They arrived yesterday!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 05:20:15 PM »

Sweet, now all we need is to wait for Jimmy to get his.  Smiley

(Of course you can read issue #1 to see if the tone is something you will indeed like)

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 09:15:23 PM »

Mine has shipped as well.  Cool

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS