HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 02:46:54 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Marvel's solicits  (Read 5347 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: February 17, 2015, 06:40:50 PM »

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=59364

Rut row Raggy....Iron Fist comes to an end. Sad

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 08:51:04 PM »

Rut row Raggy....Iron Fist comes to an end. Sad

No surprises there. Sadly. Sales hitting in the same area as books that have already been canceled was pretty much a telling sign. Glad they gave it a chance and twelve issues of a great comic is better than none.

I can just think of it as a Maxi-series.  Grin Remember those? No event to bog down the line, just a 12 issue maxi to get your character fix. Wonder what the sales difference would be if they come out and call a series a 12 issue one from the start compared to letting it try and hang on?

Amazing last issue cover, though  Smiley

EDIT - and now, looking over the solicits and trying my hardest to get on a more easily dropped monthly pull, I have decided to forgo the Marvel event and all it's tie-ins, other than the tie-in titles that I am currently getting (IE - Inhumans, etc ...) as I kinda want to both avoid having to sell Secret Wars and I want it to be the start of my Marvel HC buying (which means I will have to go back and get his Avengers and Infinity stuff as well)

But damn it is going to be hard not to add that Master of Kung-Fu, Old Man Logan and Garth Ennis' WHERE MONSTERS DWELL!!!!

Still going to maybe add A-Force, as I like the characters, the writers and Jorge Molina, but not counting that as a tie-in because ... I don't want to.
 Grin

Can you be excited for something, like I said I was for this event and NOT buy it? I guess ya can, but just feels odd. But damn it, need to start (stop) somewhere.

EDIT 2 - Damn that sucks about Iron Fist
 Angry

EDIT 3 - I wasn't sure so I had to check but it appears Andrews has said all along, even from issue one, that Iron Fist will only be 12 issues. That is fantastic. That means he told the story he wanted to tell without ANY need to rush anything. I am no longer saddened by this news.
 Smiley
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:35:16 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 09:49:13 PM »

No surprises there. Sadly. Sales hitting in the same area as books that have already been canceled was pretty much a telling sign. Glad they gave it a chance and twelve issues of a great comic is better than none.

Damn straight. I love me a well told story.

I can just think of it as a Maxi-series.  Grin Remember those? No event to bog down the line, just a 12 issue maxi to get your character fix. Wonder what the sales difference would be if they come out and call a series a 12 issue one from the start compared to letting it try and hang on?

I love those projects. Tell it with an ending planned. I partially think TV should go this route more.

Amazing last issue cover, though  Smiley

EDIT - and now, looking over the solicits and trying my hardest to get on a more easily dropped monthly pull, I have decided to forgo the Marvel event and all it's tie-ins, other than the tie-in titles that I am currently getting (IE - Inhumans, etc ...) as I kinda want to both avoid having to sell Secret Wars and I want it to be the start of my Marvel HC buying (which means I will have to go back and get his Avengers and Infinity stuff as well)

Can you be excited for something, like I said I was for this event and NOT buy it? I guess ya can, but just feels odd. But damn it, need to start (stop) somewhere.

Well you just KNOW that Ennis' stuff will be collected anyways! And buying Secret Wars stuff for reselling? Everyone is going to be buying it!! I don't think you'd even make back a buck an issue, tbh.

As for me, I see the last issue of Spidey 2099 (not interested in the new 2099 book), and Guardians 3000. I think that's it for me.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 01:29:19 PM »

I love those projects. Tell it with an ending planned. I partially think TV should go this route more.

I do as well. It is why I love a lot of British shows. They not only have 8 episode seasons, but they put out a lot of 8 episode ONLY shows. Ones that are not recurring. You get the 8 episodes and the story is done. Just like Peggy Carter is doing. You tell your story and then you get out. No stretching one plot line into a three or four year event like the Following (for just one example). In fact, and I am not a Network TV kinda guy, I am hoping there are a couple network shows coming out that are exactly in that vein. American Crime is one I hope that is only 6 or 8 episodes long and then it is done. That damn thing looks amazing, but if they stretch it out ... ugh.

Well you just KNOW that Ennis' stuff will be collected anyways!

Very true.

And buying Secret Wars stuff for reselling? Everyone is going to be buying it!! I don't think you'd even make back a buck an issue, tbh.

You would think so, logically, but that is actually why I have stayed on with Marvel for so long. All of their best sellers sell pretty well on Ebay. I mean I am not going to get a heavy return like on some Image books that hit (like my Saga 1-10 that got me $140), though there have been a couple Marvel books that will, but I feel I get a decent return, usually, when you figure I only pay $2.39 for each to begin with, so if I get just $20 for 10 to 12 comics, that isn't a bad end cost. It is like I am renting each issue for 40¢
 Cheesy
Again, as I am not a collector that isn't a bad cost to read an event and then rid myself of the proof.
 Cheesy

(Of course there have been some stinkers as well, you aren't wrong on that  Smiley

As for me, I see the last issue of Spidey 2099 (not interested in the new 2099 book), and Guardians 3000. I think that's it for me.

Understand that.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS