HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 04:54:23 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Young Avengers-where u at?  (Read 14719 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: February 16, 2015, 07:23:52 PM »

Remember these guys? Remember how HUGE that mini series was? Or every subsequent brief exposure of them? And of how Marvel wouldn't dare let anyone other than Allan Heinberg write them?

And now there is NOTHING but TONS of Avengers titles out there, but not a Young one to be seen among them.

All I can think of is a greatly lost opportunity.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 07:44:52 PM »

I think I saw awhile back where Marvel decided they didn't want to go down the legacy characters route as much as they first thought. Just didn't like the idea of it being too sidekicky. I may be totally wrong on that however.

Of course that title is just another one that you and I disagree on, Jimmy.  Smiley I didn't care for it at all. And Hulkling? Ugh, always hated that name.

I liked Iron Lad being who he was and I don't/didn't mind Kate Bishop being Hawkeye, but I just didn't enjoy the book as much as most people.

And I long for the day when the total Avenger roster was 6 or 7 people MAX. No Young Avengers, no New Avengers, no "all-female" Avengers (though I am excited for that mini), Just a select few to answer the call. This crap that "everyone" is an Avenger is just stupid. Takes away from the "This is one special group" mentality. Of course, yes, I did like it when the West Coast version popped up and yes I know that is making me a hypocrite  Cheesy , but even they had a roster limit!!!

And don't get me started on Wolverine and Spidey being an Avenger. Yes, it was super smart to do for sales, but I just don't like them being on the team.

And wow, did this topic bring up a lot of personal feelings I have towards the Avengers.
 Cheesy

Sorry for going off topic.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 09:20:29 PM »

Doesn't Kate Bishop being in Hawkeye make her side kicky?  And you LOVE that title! 

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 10:08:50 PM »

Doesn't Kate Bishop being in Hawkeye make her side kicky?  And you LOVE that title!  

I do, but I was talking about Marvel not liking the sidekicky aspect  Wink

And just to be clear, while I was talking about Marvel not liking that aspect (again, I could be wrong) I also personally don't care for the old use of the side-kick. The side-kick that is just around as a "yes man". Like early Bucky, Robin, Speedy or countless other "jr" DC characters that were so popular in the earlier years. I love me a duo or team that can work together like; Batman and Robin (Later years), Cap and Falcon (when Sam wasn't being a yes man himself  Cheesy), Captain Marvel and Rick Jones, Hulk and Rick Jones, Captain America and Rick Jones, ROM and Rick Jones  Cheesy and Hawkeye and Hawkeye, but I don't like the side-kick to just be there to be a smaller, no opinion or input version of the main character.

And Kate certainly is not a character that is lacking input or opinion.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 02:37:13 PM »

And Kate certainly is not a character that is lacking input or opinion.
 Cheesy

And THAT ain't no lie!!!   Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 09:51:06 PM »

See, I quite enjoyed the first 12 issues of YA. With Cheung's art, and the pacing, it really was well done I thought.

and I totally dug a name like 'Hulkling'. Now Wiccan, that name was stupid. Wink

But, then along comes something like Children's Crusade, which was more or less trash, as just a way to do a fill-in between big events. I don't even think CC had a proper 'conclusion' per se. The story just stopped to be picked up in another Avengers book later.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 01:39:53 PM »

See, I quite enjoyed the first 12 issues of YA. With Cheung's art, and the pacing, it really was well done I thought.

And you are not alone in that. It was just something that rubbed me the wrong way. Everyone at the shops I was going to also told me I was crazy on this, so you are certainly in the majority on this.
 Cheesy

and I totally dug a name like 'Hulkling'. Now Wiccan, that name was stupid. Wink

Most people, that I have talked to, hate both. While I can't stand that "Hulkling" name (sounds like it should be the character name for the Hulk in Marvel Babies), I dig the name Wiccan ... though I think it would work better as a bad guy's name. Most people hate it so it would go over better that way.
 Grin
But think about it, using Jeff's MU read list as an example, if the Avengers went up to Wundagore Mountain and there Wanda was taken over by the evil sorcerer WICCAN and not CHTHON wouldn't that have been a better ... ? ... nah ... bad example.
 Cheesy

Maybe take the Flash villain Dr. Alchemy and switch names with him?
"Look out Barry, its the Wiccan!!!"
 Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 03:32:27 AM »

Okay, just finished my reread of Children's Crusade. Still a shit series, I think. I've never seen kids (and adults!!) act more like idiots in a poorly written end of days disaster movie. Just dreck.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 10:55:56 AM »

Alan Heinberg. Just not into anything he writes. Just re-checked his wiki, as I've now forgotten all the shows he did write and ... yeah ... just not me. Not my kind of stuff:

Party of Five
Gilmore Girls
Sex and the City
The O.C.
Grey's Anatomy

Some acclaimed stuff there, but just not in my "wheel house" at it were. He and I are on opposite wave lengths I think.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 02:07:47 PM »

Well, the entire time, at each  moment in this landmark series of new reveals, every time there was a verbal confrontation or new truth or worry, the offended party ran away. Without talking. Without thinking it through. Usually doing it in a fight form. And always apologizing for it, and realizing it was a mistake after the fact. EACH. TIME.

It just got to be nauseating. Yes, I want super-people to act human as well; to engage in human mistakes and foibles-but to continue to be an utter fool and moron for story contrivance? That's just poor. That's weak. It makes everyone look stupid.

I also really grew to hate Wiccan and Hulkling. A couple of whiny bitches is what they are. Two very selfish young man who didn't think on how their actions would affect the world at large-they only acted for their relationship, and even in doing so, didn't THINK it through of how they would affect the other person!

If writing a teenager means making them an utter moron and a complete fool, then you have honestly done a disservice to young, growing people.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 02:12:32 PM »

I also really grew to hate Wiccan and Hulkling. A couple of whiny bitches is what they are.

Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 02:01:52 PM »

Holy crap, trying to finish the 2nd actual volume of YA, as written by Gillen, is killing me. I HATE Wiccan and Hulkling so much!!!!  The volume is so random too, what with this Miss America girl pulled from some random mini that Gillen also wrote before, and the inclusion of Noh-varr to it. I can maybe see why they've gone away. Well, maybe there's more to it, by the time I actually get to the end of it.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 02:45:49 PM »

Tried this and couldn't get past the first issue. Not Gillien's best to say the least and dealing with Hulkling and Wiccan on anything can just be torture. I wouldn't even bother reading more, actually. All you're gonna do is get more pissed. Why do that to yourself? Stop, my man. Just stop!!!
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 04:24:06 PM »

Tried this and couldn't get past the first issue. Not Gillien's best to say the least and dealing with Hulkling and Wiccan on anything can just be torture. I wouldn't even bother reading more, actually. All you're gonna do is get more pissed. Why do that to yourself? Stop, my man. Just stop!!!
 Cheesy

Agreed.  Another brick in my Gillen hate wall.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 06:16:35 PM »

Cheesy

Agreed.  Another brick in my Gillen hate wall.

Grin

Yeah, but if you would read more your "wall" would only be a "step" up into some great titles  Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS