HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 07:01:10 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Amazing Spider-man 5  (Read 4631 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: February 06, 2015, 04:40:02 PM »

Seriously, was this the same guy who was writing Superior Spider-man? This issue was just bad. Just awful. One of my earliest complaints about Slott's ASM solo writing was that he wrote the issue as if it was narrated in a coloring book format. That seemed to be gone, or at least changed for the better in Superior, but it's back in all it's 8 Crayola box glory in this issue.

Peter is presented as an absolute moron. I don't get to say this enough, but I really dislike this guy, this Peter Parker. He's a fool. He's a clod. He barely thinks ahead. He honestly doesn't think about what his actions do to others around him, he's lazy with his company and the people who trust him. He's thoughtless.

Also, Black Cat's turnaround is NOT believeable. Not one bit! I don't buy it. To go soooo far back into crime as she has, it doesn't ring true at all.

And, again, Spidey is again getting punked in his own title, and playing second fiddle to Silk. Oh she's so much faster! Oh she's so much quicker! Oh, her spidey-sense is so much better! I gotta catch up! Bah. Quit trying to sell the new toy so fast. Sad

Also, it brings more of Morlun and that storyline debacle back to the forefront with Ezekiel and spider-totem bullshit. Having Silk be the same as Peter-bitten by that fateful spider-waters down the special creation that was Spider-man. I hate watering down.

(And yes, I realize that in saying that I also love Superman. I'm not sure I truly care for Supergirl to also be from Krypton. I like Superboy as a clone, Steel fighting in the S shield to honor Supes, but I don't want that many Kryptonians around).

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 06:42:27 PM »

Wish I would have read this so I could compare, but I stopped reading Amazing, THIS time, around issue #3. While I can't speak of your particular issues with this particular ... ummm ... issue, I can acknowledge that Dan Slott has been responsible for me jumping back on Amazing just as many times as he has been responsible for me jumping off Amazing. Dude can write a book like a Some Bitch (to quite Bufford T Justice) and then like a 10 year old the next issue. I fell off this time for about the reasons you are bringing up here, Jimmy.

I just don't get it.

Though I am admittedly one of the few that found the Totem plotline very intriguing

*Runs away. Runs far, far away*
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 01:59:52 PM »

.... I can acknowledge that Dan Slott has been responsible for me jumping back on Amazing just as many times as he has been responsible for me jumping off Amazing. Dude can write a book like a Some Bitch (to quite Bufford T Justice) and then like a 10 year old the next issue.

I'm just surprised it happened so quick; from Superior to Amazing in 3 issues?! (cuz, ASM #3 was awful too!)

Though I am admittedly one of the few that found the Totem plotline very intriguing

.....well...there's no accounting for taste....:p

But, aside, I thought the second totem arc, when Shathra came around, more or less proved that Peter was the anomaly, and it was Ezekiel and his magicky spider powers that Morlun and Shathra were purposefully hunting. But what do I know? I was only going to read that stuff once.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 05:24:01 PM »

I never took Totem as anything other than an "elseworlds" like title, having no chance to become canon, so I really enjoyed it for that. It was very well written, had perfect pacing and characterization and pretty decent art. I will read again as it was fun as hell.
 Tongue
 Grin

And yes, Dan Slott turning on a dime with writing great stories one issue to having Peter act like someone totally different than Peter the next is what made yo-yo his Amazing. I would throw my hands up and then months later have a cover catch my eye, flip through and get pulled in again.  I know what you mean here with this.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS